Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/29-off-topic/)
-   -   10 dead at batman premier in denver (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/off-topic/114530-10-dead-batman-premier-denver.html)

Magpie_Oz 07-20-12 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OIIIIIIO (Post 1266895)
Why should we ban guns? Guns do not kill people, husbands who come home early kill people. It is a tragic thing that happened, banning guns is not the answer.

That is the same thing as saying that people that ride motorcycles should be forced to wear helmets. If you ask a cop and get an honest answer from him this is what it will be " Every collision is a different set of circumstances, a helmet may help you or hurt you depending on speed of impact and velocity of ejection from the motorcycle."

Ben Franklin said it best "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

Just keep tellin' yourself that mate.

Serpion5 07-20-12 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz (Post 1266900)
Just keep tellin' yourself that mate.

Anything constructive to add to that? Like a compelling argument, a reason to ban guns?

Solid evidence that gun laws are to blame for this happening? An analysis of the circumstances based on the extensive media coverage we have available in BK's link?

Or should we just take your word that everything will be great once America gets rid of guns? :russianroulette:

Magpie_Oz 07-20-12 12:31 PM

How many gun massacres have we had since 1996?
How many has the US had ?

what are your chances of being shot in the US? How about in Oz?

How many armed overthrows of the government have there been in the US? In Oz?

How much freedom does Oz lack in comparison to the US?

Apparently even wearing a motorbike helmet is some kind of impinging on freedoms?
What a joke.

Serpion5 07-20-12 12:40 PM

Questions aren't answers. I could look all of that up but you're the one trying to convince others here. :wink:

Magpie_Oz 07-20-12 12:48 PM

Ah no I'm not , I asked a question and got the usual crap about how if people don't have access to guns it won't stop people shooting each other.

normtheunsavoury 07-20-12 12:54 PM

In the UK virtually no one has access to guns, it's difficult to get a licence and the actual guns you are allowed to own are highly restricted.

Hasn't really stopped people getting shot.

Serpion5 07-20-12 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz (Post 1266914)
Ah no I'm not , I asked a question.

Actually...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz (Post 1266823)
-sigh- dead set guys when are you gonna ban guns?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz (Post 1266869)
and here they come, the same old excuses.

You asked these and more, all to imply that gun laws are responsible. maybe no claims, but with no sources and only more questions thrown out as your viewpoint, what reason is there for me to take you seriously?

As far as I would know or care, the United States is getting along just fine for the most part. Shootings happen there. Guess what, Shootings happen everywhere right? Like I said, laws only stop honest people from breaking them.

If you had argued in favour of tougher enforcing of existing laws, or tighter restrictions on manufacturing and transporting of said firearms you might have a point.

But no, you asked why not just ban guns. Ban them. Period. Now tell me why that will work or your view is essentially baseless.

Magpie_Oz 07-20-12 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by normtheunsavoury (Post 1266922)
In the UK virtually no one has access to guns, it's difficult to get a licence and the actual guns you are allowed to own are highly restricted.

When did you last have a massacre at the pictures? or a school? or a camping ground? or a shooting on the motorway? are you concerned when you go out that you might get shot?

normtheunsavoury 07-20-12 12:58 PM

Not overly but it doesn't mean it couldn't happen. The only thing you achieve by banning guns is stopping responsible people from owning them. Criminals don't really care if it's illegal, they are criminals after all.

bitsandkits 07-20-12 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by normtheunsavoury (Post 1266922)

really ? there were only 38 murders with fire arms in 09 (gov figures) in the same year in the USA it was 9199 for a population that is only 5 times ours.

now slap my arse and call me Betty but i know which country im more likely to get killed in and im pretty sure those stats are like that because we have no guns, yes criminals have guns and generally they kill other Criminals with them, but if you have less guns your citizens get killed with them less. So here is an idea , dont ban guns in the US just stop selling ammo.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!