Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/29-off-topic/)
-   -   10 dead at batman premier in denver (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/off-topic/114530-10-dead-batman-premier-denver.html)

DeathJester921 07-21-12 08:19 PM

I believe it was stated earlier that bombs can be made out of household materials. It wouldn't be suspicious going around buying that stuff. There is also the good point that Words_of_Truth made. Making a home made bomb is dangerous and can kill the person making it. Either way, there is still a threat to peoples lives.

Sethis 07-21-12 08:24 PM

Again with the "bombs can kill people" line.

Bombs can kill people. Bombs are illegal.
Guns can kill people. Guns are illegal.
Knives can kill people. Knives are illegal.

The more weapons you outlaw, the more protected the population is. It's really very simple.

DeathJester921 07-21-12 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sethis (Post 1267681)

The more weapons you outlaw, the more protected the population is. It's really very simple.

Excellent observation Sethis. All of those can be lethal in the right (or in this case wrong) hands. Take away one, people will use one of the others. Take away them all, people will still get their hands on them illegally. It takes away a bunch of the risk, but it doesn't solve the problem. Nothing will.

No they don't kill people. People kill people with knives, guns, bombs, etc. Its the person to blame, not the weapon. I don't see why people always blame the weapon used, when its the psycho that is holding the weapon that killed the people. The weapon doesn't have a mind of its own; it didn't MAKE the person kill anyone.

Oh and knives are only illegal if the blade is above a certain length. At least here in the U.S. anyway.

ThatOtherGuy 07-21-12 08:59 PM

Quote:

How about we say "Fuck it. Were going to remove everyone's hands and feet. Then everyone will be safe."

experiment 626 07-21-12 09:52 PM

Quote:

No, the more weapons you outlaw or ban, the more you're just punishing every single law-abiding citizen because of the actions of a couple of useless assholes!

Look at Toronto this summer; shootings are way up, but every single case has involved the use of illegal firearms!
Very, very little gun crime in North America is caused by legal gun owners. (this sadly, was one of those few cases where a psycho was able to legally purchase weapons) Most gun crime is commited, (shockingly), by known criminals who obtain their guns illegally.

Perhaps the US government should re-evaluate parts of their gun control laws, such as re-insating the ban on assault weapons. But just banning all guns isn't the answer. Perhaps better & more stringent background checks, forcing the potential gun owner to take & pass a 'gun ownership and safty' course, etc...
And on top of such changes, perhaps the laws currently on the books need to be changed to better represent our modern age?! If gun crime is a serious problem, (and illegal guns are a huge problem), then bring in much stiffer mandetory sentances for the idiots who go out and commit crimes involving the use of a gun/s.

Just 'ban guns & bullets' is nothing but a knee-jerk solution of the 'politically correct' crowd.

Wusword77 07-21-12 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imm0rtal reaper (Post 1267139)
Simple question to our legally gun owning, law following american members.

Why do you need a gun?

If you are not a law enforcement officer or a soldier, why would you ever need a gun.
Private gun use in the U.S should be made so that only members of a gun club can own a firearm. And that firearm must be kept in the club at all times. The gun nuts can still shoot off, but they can't bring it home.

Nobody addressed this so I figured I would.

I don't need a gun. Nobody in the US needs a gun. At all. At any point. Nobody in the world needs one for that matter.

But there is the matter of want.

I have a gun because I like to shoot. I enjoy shooting my gun in a recreational capacity at targets. Cans, paper targets, bowling pins, clay targets, anything that will show I've hit the target.

My father has his guns for similar reasons but he also likes to hunt. So does my girl friends father. So do lots of people I know. They wouldn't be able to hunt if they could never take their firearm away from a gun club.

Could I get by without shooting? Sure, but I enjoy it. We have no need to hunt, but my father enjoys it. Why should we, law abiding citizens, have to give up a hobby because some nut jobs/evil people are going to use guns to kill people?

Why are my own liberties being limited because some guy, who will most likely kill people anyway, could (but doesn't have to) opt to do so with a gun.

Edit:

Quote:

Originally Posted by OIIIIIIO (Post 1267549)
Everyone seems to be under the assumption that you can just go to a store and buy a gun walk out and blast away. Not true. Now I speak only about handguns where I live because that is all that I have for now. If you want to buy a handgun you must first fill out paperwork that is run through the government. If it comes back clean you can get the gun. If you have even a domestic violence charge (not even convicted or even if it was dropped) ... 7 day wait. If you have any kind of felony charge .... no gun for you .... EVER.

It is easier to get a gun illegally in this country than it is to get it legit.

Jez aint got shit on me ... I am gonna kill muthafuckas with box cutters ... 2 dozen for sure at the premier of the next Nicholas Sparks movie .... Fuck Nick.

Depends where you are, but all gun shop owners are going to seriously question why you would be buying 4 rifles at a single time, or in close proximity.

Magpie_Oz 07-21-12 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wusword77 (Post 1267727)
Why are my own liberties being limited because some guy, who will most likely kill people anyway, could (but doesn't have to) opt to do so with a gun.

Because living with other people means you can't be a selfish dick and say "MY liberties are far more important an the life of a child who gets shot in their way to the pictures". As I have said before; you guys bleat so much about your liberties, what about your responsibilities?

Saying "he would have found a way to kill someone anyway" is complete and utter bullshit. Do you leave your house unlocked when you go out because a burglar is going to break in anyway if he really wants to?

What if you could have a gun but it had to be stored in a police controlled armoury that you had to pay for?

Your desire for a weapon would be filled and public safety would be enhanced.

ThatOtherGuy 07-22-12 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz (Post 1267749)
Saying "he would have found a way to kill someone anyway" is complete and utter bullshit. Do you leave your house unlocked when you go out because a burglar is going to break in anyway if he really wants to?

When a sociopath wants to kill a group of people, or anyone who wants to kill a group of people, he will find a way to do so, whether it be by means of a fire arm or some other way. It's not like "Oh no, I have no ability to use a fire arm or get one. Oh well, back to xbox then." No, they will find another way whether you like it or not. It's a natural drive in us that if we want someone dead with utter conviction, we will find a way to murder them. Guns are not the only way to murder a group of people.

Quote:

What if you could have a gun but it had to be stored in a police controlled armoury that you had to pay for?
That would be stupid, because that's essentially giving your weapons to the police and from there they could do whatever the fuck they want with your purchased goods while also paying them money. Seriously, when is a police officer going to give back your weapon at any time?

Magpie_Oz 07-22-12 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatOtherGuy (Post 1267767)
When a sociopath wants to kill a group of people, or anyone who wants to kill a group of people, he will find a way to do so, whether it be by means of a fire arm or some other way.

So why make it easier? The whole point of locking your house is to make it difficult to break into, same with guns. Make 'em hard to get and the dramas will drop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatOtherGuy (Post 1267767)
That would be stupid, because that's essentially giving your weapons to the police and from there they could do whatever the fuck they want with your purchased goods while also paying them money. Seriously, when is a police officer going to give back your weapon at any time?

You guys really need to get yourself a system where you can trust your authorities or you're rooted.

Azkaellon 07-22-12 12:50 AM

My question is......Where was Batman to prevent this? (I know this is bad to say but ffs what kind of crazy fucks are there out there now days?)