Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Rules Discussion (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/17-40k-rules-discussion/)
-   -   Death Ray and Fliers (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-rules-discussion/113394-death-ray-fliers.html)

MadCowCrazy 07-05-12 02:08 AM

Death Ray and Fliers

Correct me if I'm wrong but would a Death Ray automatically hit a Flier or Flying MC? It's not really a blast or template weapon but kinda works like one, if anything it works like Beam psychic powers but it's not a psychic power.

Da Joka 07-05-12 02:27 AM

This is Correct, the same goes for Imotekh's Staff of the Destroyer, granted his staff will be a long shot to kill anything.

Salahaldin 07-05-12 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadCowCrazy (Post 1253827)
Correct me if I'm wrong but would a Death Ray automatically hit a Flier or Flying MC? It's not really a blast or template weapon but kinda works like one, if anything it works like Beam psychic powers but it's not a psychic power.

What type of weapon is it listed as?

Da Joka 07-05-12 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salahaldin (Post 1253841)
What type of weapon is it listed as?

It does not have a type. It simply states that every model under the line get's hit with a S10 AP 1 hit.

Salahaldin 07-05-12 02:58 AM

Then I guess you can hit a flier automatically with it. Same as a beam psychic power.

Kastle 07-05-12 04:51 AM

umm...i believe you cannot do that...in order to shoot at a flyer you have to take snap shots at it, on pg 13 last line in snap shots mentions "its important to note that any shooting attack that does not use a ballistic skill-such as monoliths exile portal cannot be fired as snap shot."

Kastle 07-05-12 04:53 AM

but since the doomscythe is a flyer, then you can declare that it is in skyfire mode and then only hit the flying vehicles.

Da Joka 07-05-12 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kastle (Post 1253903)
umm...i believe you cannot do that...in order to shoot at a flyer you have to take snap shots at it, on pg 13 last line in snap shots mentions "its important to note that any shooting attack that does not use a ballistic skill-such as monoliths exile portal cannot be fired as snap shot."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kastle (Post 1253904)
but since the doomscythe is a flyer, then you can declare that it is in skyfire mode and then only hit the flying vehicles.

There is a big difference between "Beams" and the Death Ray or Imokekh's Staff of the Destroyer.

The Death Ray and Staff of the Destroyer don't actually target units. They target points on the board.

Kastle 07-05-12 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da Joka (Post 1253914)
There is a big difference between "Beams" and the Death Ray or Imokekh's Staff of the Destroyer.

The Death Ray and Staff of the Destroyer don't actually target units. They target points on the board.

right they are all different, but the one thing they have in common is that it does not require a bs skill to hit. unfortunately BRB is quite explicit about it

Tim/Steve 07-05-12 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kastle (Post 1253903)

Death ray doesn't "shoot at" anything. It doesn't declare a target... so it can hit fliers without having to fire snap shot.
The BRB is very clear, but it clearly doesn't effect the death ray or beam type weapons: WFB is full of these sorts of rules, with magical blasts being 'placed' anywhere... and since they don't target the units they hit (they target a point, not a unit) certain unit abilities/defences don't activate.