Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   40k Fluff (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/18-40k-fluff/)
-   -   Is it possible for every ork to unite together? (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/40k-fluff/111200-possible-every-ork-unite-together.html)

Shattertheirsky 05-26-12 06:33 PM

Is it possible for every ork to unite together?

Looking at Ghazghkull's Waaaaaaagh and the carnage that caused, is there any way the Orks of the universe could unite together barring unification by Gork and Mork themselves?

Davidicus 40k 05-26-12 06:37 PM

Highly unlikely. The Orks are somewhere between the Imperium and the Tyranids in terms of ease of communication and unification (with the Imperium being the most disjointed and the Tyranids being the most unified). They can gather into fairly large WAAAAAGH!s (like the Imperium can launch crusades) and instinctively destroy a lot of stuff (like Tyranids), but any long-term alliances are hard to come by because they've still got simple personalities and rivalries. Hordes like Ghazghkull's are truly rare.

Shattertheirsky 05-26-12 06:56 PM

And there's no chance of someone even stronger than Mr. Mag Uruk Thraka coming into play and making a huge waaaaaaaagh? Or are Orks just to untrusting of each other for that?

MEQinc 05-26-12 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidicus 40k (Post 1227155)
The Orks are somewhere between the Imperium and the Tyranids in terms of ease of communication and unification (with the Imperium being the most disjointed and the Tyranids being the most unified).

I'd put the Orks way, way lower than the Imperium. The Imperium actually has the tech to communicate across it's entire bulk (astropaths) and is technically a unified body under one leader (however loose that technicality is); the Orks don't and aren't. The Orks lack the ability to come together racially even if they possessed the desire, which they don't. Gazghkull managed to bring together a large number of Orks on a single planet, and the fact that that's impressive just goes to show how disorganized the Orks are. They cannot and will not unify and they don't want to.

Davidicus 40k 05-27-12 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MEQinc (Post 1227191)
I'd put the Orks way, way lower than the Imperium. The Imperium actually has the tech to communicate across it's entire bulk (astropaths) and is technically a unified body under one leader (however loose that technicality is); the Orks don't and aren't. The Orks lack the ability to come together racially even if they possessed the desire, which they don't. Gazghkull managed to bring together a large number of Orks on a single planet, and the fact that that's impressive just goes to show how disorganized the Orks are. They cannot and will not unify and they don't want to.

True. I realize that when I made that post, I was thinking of how the Orks' psychic abilities work and how they are stronger when in a large group, so I was making the (incorrect) assumption that Orks would naturally want to band together - so long as they're surrounded by weaker Orks or ones that will only prove useful in the short-term. I mean, there's a reason WAAAAGH!s form at all, and it's not solely because a mega-powerful Warboss bullied millions of Orks into playing nice for a while. In this sense, it's far easier to form and mobilize a large Ork horde than, say, a Guard regiment.

As far as communication, the Imperium needs (comparatively) advanced technologies in order to remain united, but with Orks being so diversely spread throughout the galaxy (while maintaining threatening numbers in most places), they have less of a need for race-wide coordination. It's been established that if every Ork were to somehow unite, they'd be unstoppable. As you expertly pointed out, though, they have neither the ability nor the inclination.

Chompy Bits 05-27-12 07:10 AM

Sadly, the answer is no. The very nature of Orks, their love of conflict, is their greatest strength but also their greatest weakness. Unless they encountered a race that challenged every Ork in existence simultaneously, you wouldn't even be able to get them all to fight the same enemy at once. And then they still wouldn't be united. Plus, any alliances that do form will be short lived, as the Orks will inevitably fall to infighting when there's no-one else left.

There has however been examples of clever Warlords like Snagrod actually hijacking Imperial tech in order to broadcast messages to other Orks, as we see in Rynn's World, but this is very rare and not something your average Warboss would think to do.

Sangriento 06-07-12 11:58 AM

actually I'll have to disagree with my fellow forum posters here

in theory its entirely possible to unite the ork nation
all it takes is a leader that keeps winning, and an enemy big and constant enough to last till such reunification happens

the reason why the biggest we've seen was Armageddon is because Ghazghkull failed to keep the ball rolling, his forces were defeated and crushed.
had Ghazghkull kept winning, more and more and more orks would get the word-to-mouth that a "gud fite" is happening somewhere and they would go out of their way to reach there.

thats how the waaaaaagh gestalt works. its similar to tyranids, the more battles they win, the more their numbers increase and the further they reach

of course any unification would always be temporal. once the waaagh had conquered the entire galaxy and there were no more enemies to fight, the orks would be forced to resort to infighting to keep the fun going.

HUMYN HYBRID 06-07-12 02:40 PM

make a very interesting turn on the tables of the war if this was possible

mob16151 06-07-12 05:30 PM

Actually correct me if Im wrong, but aren't the biggest ork forces we've seen, the ones the Emperor, and Horus defeated at Ullanor? Ork bosses the size of a Leman Russ. One of them big and bad enough that it made a spirited attempt to strangle the Emperor.

Hellados 06-08-12 12:55 AM

also each of the clans are set to do a specific role;

Deathskulls = salvagers and looters = scientists, fixers, the mechanics
Blood Axes = retreat when loosing, hide = tacticians
Snakebites = tough as old English oak = work men
Bad Moons = rich bastards = traders
Evil Sunz = Vehicles, noise, speed = the pilots/drivers etc
Goffs = Hand to hand line troops

That's my take on what the codex says/is getting at anyway, wasn't they made by the old gods or something? so maybe the old gods (then called gork and mork) were the unifying force that used to control the green tide?