Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Warhammer Fluff (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/38-warhammer-fluff/)
-   -   Would the people of the Empire actually speak what passes for modern-day German? (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/warhammer-fluff/110396-would-people-empire-actually-speak-what-passes-modern-day-german.html)

Big_Cheddars 05-09-12 05:52 PM

Would the people of the Empire actually speak what passes for modern-day German?

Just had a thought, for some fiction I'm writing I'm giving a character a name that is a word in German, but I'm just thinking; Would people in the Empire speak German and understand the word, or would they just accept it as a name and not think it's anything more?

Akatsuki13 05-09-12 07:09 PM

Yes, Reikspiel, the language of the Empire is based off of German, both spoken and written.

As every human civilization in Warhammer is based off a real world equivalent, so too is their language based off of their real world equivalent.

Bretonnians speak Breton (French)
Estalians speak Estalian (Spanish)
In Kislev they speak Kislevarin (Russian/Polish)

Anyway you can use German for Reikspiel.

Big_Cheddars 05-09-12 07:57 PM

Hmm, so a name made up of German words, would just be translated into its actual word because if you were writing from the POV of a person in the Empire, they would be thinking/speaking in reikspiel, right?

Akatsuki13 05-09-12 10:12 PM

Nah names wouldn't be, usually. Also if you read some of the novels you'll see that the authors often use some German words as well.

Big_Cheddars 05-10-12 09:59 PM

Awesome, thanks for your help mate, my knowledge of lore is pretty good but the little details I'm not so sure on sometimes, so thanks :) +rep

dragonkingofthestars 08-03-12 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akatsuki13 (Post 1216109)
YesBretonnians speak Breton (French)

DO the breton speak french? there baised heavily on english arthurian legend with a large dollop of french noblity, is it a matter of the breton are both French and enlgish, or use a (to use) weird combination of english and french.

And that does not even bring up all the English loan words that have been picked up over the years, from the french, germans, and in this case, elves!

Tawa 08-03-12 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonkingofthestars (Post 1277037)
DO the breton speak french? there baised heavily on english arthurian legend with a large dollop of french noblity

Precisely how I always imagined the Bretonnians. Kind of "French Arthurian's".
I've never gotten away from imagining them speaking English with outlandish French accents though..... :blush:

merp141 08-03-12 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Cheddars (Post 1216140)
Hmm, so a name made up of German words, would just be translated into its actual word because if you were writing from the POV of a person in the Empire, they would be thinking/speaking in reikspiel, right?

To compare; the names Ian, Iain, Ianto, Eoin, Jean and Seán are all derived from the Hebrew name "John". One would not call Welshman, Scotsman, Irishman or Frenchman "John" in place of any of these names..

In addition many older Celtic names have translations. One would not call a "Bláthín" "little flower" when addressing her in English, nor "Dara" "strong Oak" nor a "Niamh" "bright/dazzling"...

Apologies if this has already been answered to your satisfaction!

Tim/Steve 08-04-12 08:39 AM

Yeah, you don't translate names... you do translate titles and nicknames (sometimes).

The_Werewolf_Arngeirr 08-04-12 09:38 AM

yup, most names have a translation. just to use a name everyone would know, Adolf, which was a contracted form of Adalwulf, which translates into Noble Wolf. Despite the name most infamously known for a man who was the furthest from the name he was given.