Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Tools of the Trade (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/104-tools-trade/)
-   -   Video: Basic Model Preparation (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/tools-trade/108443-video-basic-model-preparation.html)

UselesswizarD 10-14-11 06:28 PM

Video: Basic Model Preparation

Hello everyone!

I've just started making tutorial videos and I wanted to get the word out a bit. Below is a link to the latest installment in a series of video tutorials titled Wargame Miniatures Basics. This series is indented to provide basic techniques for the absolute beginner.

This installment talks about getting your model off the sprue and cleaning it up for painting!

If you take a look please comment on what you think, I'm pretty new to this and I'm looking for all the constructive feedback I can get.

Cypher871 10-15-11 12:19 PM

Not bad but I found the music a bit too obtrusive...and why does everyone have to go Rock? What's wrong with a bit of classical now and again.

apidude 10-15-11 01:12 PM

I'm kinda with Cypher. The intro music was fine and sets the right tone. I'd kill the music though after you begin speaking or at least take the volume down to background. It becomes a distraction and the vocalization tends to fade into the music after a few minutes.

As to your content and your explanation, very good. You did not use "Uh" or repeat yourself to much, keeping a constant flow of explanation that complemented the actions of the video.

I'd like to see more of what you do. I think you are right on with what you are trying to do and applaud you for it. I will keep my eye out for this. Do you have your tutorials in a thread of their own or are they separate?

UselesswizarD 10-20-11 05:36 AM

Thanks for the replies guys! It'll help a ton. I'm working on the music volume so hopefully the next video's volume will be better. If it's still too distracting, I'll probably remove the music during the video altogether.

I'm glad you liked the content.

I'll be posting these in their own thread and update it with every new video starting with the next video.

KhainiteAssassin 10-20-11 05:46 AM

only thing Id point out, is that technically, from a game point of view you still need the models thanks to TLOS, and the fact most people in the game require WYSIWYG to atleast be fufilled for tournaments and facing most strangers, to the point of using the right models for the right unit, so your initial arguement is somewhat lessened by this fact.

the information otherwise is sound though, and was acted out well (no stuttering, the actions match the information, etc.)

Also: the music in the background isnt rock, its closer to electronica, using Synthetic sounds and a drum beat.

UselesswizarD 10-20-11 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KhainiteAssassin (Post 1090106)
only thing Id point out, is that technically, from a game point of view you still need the models thanks to TLOS, and the fact most people in the game require WYSIWYG to atleast be fufilled for tournaments and facing most strangers, to the point of using the right models for the right unit, so your initial arguement is somewhat lessened by this fact.

What I was referring to were paper cutouts of the models similar to what you used to be able to find on sites like paperhammer40k, etc. Now that I look back I didn't make that clear enough.

Thanks for the comment!