Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

[1100] Blood Angels vs Imperial Guard

926 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Rems 
#1 ·
OK, I want to preface this with a statement. I am not gloating. I want to be clear about this because I have a question. What is my friend doing so wrong to allow this to happen, other then faceing a mobile vet force with 2x LR?
1100Points lunch battle
Me: IG
1 CCS w/ 3 snipers Hflamer, Master of Ord, Commander with plasma pistol and P Sword. Chimera w/2x Hbolter
1 Lord Commissar w/ Power Fist

1Vet squad w/3xmelta sgt w/Pfist Chimera w/2xHbolter
1Vet squad w/3xPlasma sgt w/Pfist Chimera w/2xHbolter

1 LR w/ Battle Cannon, Lascannon 2x HBolter
1 LR w/ Battle Cannon, Lascannon 2xPlasma Cannon

Him: BA
1 Baal Pred w/ twin autocannon 2xHbolter
1 Lascannon pred with 3x twin lascannon
1 Razorback
1 5man assult squad w/melta gun, sgt w/ melta bombs
1 10man tac squad w/missile launcher
1 5man black Co. squad w/preist mounted on...
1 Storm Raven w/ Multimelta, twin lascannon, Hurricane Bolters

I'm not going to do the full report, just the main points.

Set up with Spearhead, mission was Seize Ground w/ 4 objectives.

Because we did not realize that the first to set up got to go first we rolled off for first turn. He set up first, I got first turn.

T1: I blewup His Razorback, and Lascannon Pred in first shooting. his storm raven started in reserve. Killed 4/5 assult troops and 4 Tac guys (Most of the kills were from battle cannon shots that scattered away from the tanks I was shooting at. He had set his assult guys near the razor and his tac near the las pred.)
He blew up my plasma chimera killing 3 guys in the explosion

T2: I stunned his baal pred with some melta shots, Master of ord and all battle cannons did nothing, repositioned men, Plasma squad hunkered down in the crator
He missed with a missile shot, stormraven failed to show

T3: Finished off the Baal, Battle cannons killed all but 2 of the tac guys
He moved up his last assult guy who missed with melta gun and then failed to assult. Storm raven shows up and immoblizes the plasma LR

T4: Shot like crap, only nailed his last assult troop with 3 melta guns.
He also shoots like crap, moves his Storm Raven, and forgets to dump his troops, his wife thought this was really sad.

T5: Plasma squad scores 2 pen shots on the storm raven, both wrecked results, the damn thing lands infront of my immobile tank, one more tac guy dies. Decide to fire danger close at the black co, only kill 2 out of 5 with a full furn of shooting
He assults my plasma troops with the commissar, it does not end well for me, to the point of not even getting to strike back.

It does go to the top of turn 6, in which the final tac guy, the missile launcher gets nailed to the ground with heavy bolter fire, the black company gets killed by a combined attack from the LR that can see them and the Melta Squad. so other then the small detail of his wrecks becoming part of the landscape, I tabled him. He managed to kill one unit, its transport and the commie.
Me: 1/4 objectives held 8 kill points
Him: 0/4 objectives held 3 kill points Tabled

Result: Curb Stomp at Ramming Speed. IG Victory

Ok not that you have much to go on, but this seems to be a thing with me and him. The one time he has beaten me, with when I played orks and it came down to my warboss vs. his furioso dread with predictible results. I am not proud of this, but I kicked his tau army in its blue balls so much that he sold it off to buy the blood angels. Not that I want to let him win, but what advice can you give him other then 'buy new dice, and more assult marines'. He has a wife who wont let him go ape with the budget. I dont know what to say anymore other then sorry.

See less See more
#2 ·
Just noticed that the forum is calling the LR Land Raiders, sorry about that I'm talking about good ole' Russ.

#3 ·
I don't mean to be harsh on your friend, but it seems to be a combination of mix and match lists (AKA not very cohesive), and poor tactics on his part that's letting him down. In order to really have a competitive chance of winning, he kinda needs to have a focus to his army e.g. Mech or DoA. Having various, small footslogging units means they'll get mullered as soon as they step out into the open, plus the fact it appeared he tried to fight a gunline battle with IG, both aren't clever tactics.

A question I'd like to raise is that was there much terrain on the board? If yes, then he needs to learn how to use it better. If not, then that gives Guard a massive advantage as you can't really escape their guns then.

Essentially, he needs to get on a forum and read some BA tactics and list guides to he knows how to field a more synergetic force with the appropriate tactics to boot. As a side note, mech vet guard is quite a hard list for some players due to the sheer number of vehicles on the field, so maybe back down a little on the competitive side, as I'd hate to hear he sells this army too, or even quits 40K for good.

#4 · (Edited)
Nope, thats not harsh at all, its kind of what I expected. Cover was ok, and he opted to set up on the side that had some low hills and ruins, it was not good enough to block LoS but it gave him a +4 cover save. Like I said above he just dont have the monies to pay 35 bucks for 5 jetpack dudes.

As for the mech vets, he asked for it. Since this is a new army for him, I let him decide what kind of list I bring. Dont want you to think I'm a compleat dick head, lol.

#5 ·
For starters that mistake with setup really hurt. Having to both set up first and then having second turn is horrible. But you picked up on that mistake, so just don't do it next time. I assume you had at least 25% of the board covered in a variety of terrain right? Having the proper amount of terrain makes a big difference and stops battles turning into a shooting gallery.

His problems seem to stemming from both list design and tactics.

First his list:

1)The Baal Pred is fine, it's great at taking out infantry and light vehicles (thanks to it's speed and scout it can get side and rear armour shoot easily). I do think they work best in pairs though. Perhaps you could let him proxy his other predator as a baal?

2)The tri lascannon predator is a waste of points. Either go with autocannon turret and lascannon sponsons or don't use one at all. It's too much of a point sink with all lascannons. Either switch the loadout or proxy it as a baal.

3)The razorback and assault squad is fine, and i'd rather have another one of those (or two more) than the tacticals. With the points saved he could buy some combi meltas for his sergeants and there should be a priest riding with at least one of these units. He can simply take the arms of the tacticals and give them close combat weapons (of which he should have some spare from the assault marines and death company), then bam instant assault squad sans jump packs which is fine as they'll be in a transport.

4)Death Company are alright but don't need a Sanguinary Priest as they already have furious charge and feel no pain. His fragile assault squads need that protection instead.

He needs to decide whether he wants all mech or non mech. Hybrid lists are not the most efficient use of points, especially at lower levels and against mech guard.

Secondly his tactics.

Why did he have his assault squad outside their razorback? It's too easy to wipe out 5 marines and they're unable to do anything just sitting there. They should be inside the transport they can buy at reduced points, ready to hope out and melta a tank to death, preferably while under the bubble of a Sanguinary Priest. That or they should be a stronger squad, non meched, using cover to carefully move up to engage. Like i said he needs to decide on the direction of his army.

The Storm Raven should not have been in reserve. You only had two lascannons with which to hurt it. With his other armour it's unlikely you would have destroyed it first turn (especially seeing how he should have had first turn). If going second and facing a strong ranged anti tank presence than perhaps but certainly not against your list.

The Baal should either have scouted moved to a good flanking position or outflanked and come on from the sides of the table. It has the speed (fast vehicle) and range to still make an impact and it's assault cannons could then cause a mess against your tanks side and rear armour. Even better if they were two working in concert.

The fact that two tanks were blown up first turn when you only had two lascannons to use means you were either very lucky or he wasn't in cover/out of sight, which he should have been. All his vehicles are fast and so have the speed to leap frog from cover to cover whilst shooting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.