Serendipity Once Again Rears It's Ugly Head:
I was going to keep these to myself until the Warlord was reassembled but this was too good to pass up without comment, the effect would be lost in the overall presentation of the completed model...........
I wish I could take credit for this but it came about purely by accident; I noticed when I was applying the armour veneers that the 'Testors' glue was slightly dissolving the 0,25 MM (0.010 inch) sheet styrene but until highlighting these large panels today I had no idea to what extent. The aluminum powder accentuates the dissolved areas giving a millennia old worn and weathered appearance that probably could not have been achieved on purpose.
The effect was simple to achieve I just took the tube of glue and squeezing ever so slightly applied threadlike trails all over the area to be covered with the pre-cut sheet styrene. I the rubbed the panel until the glue set and sealed the edges with thin set solvent.
Even the mistakes and warped panels lend character to the armour simulation battle damage or in the case of the prominent vertical line in the first image where I removed a strip of styrene and applied it diagonally for greater aesthetic appeal looks like the residue of a centuries old modification.
Of course there may be some that do not like this mottled effect but to me this battle weary biped looks the better for the superficial damage.
Hum that actually looks pretty awesome - Sometimes accidents are for the best it seems :D I might have to copy this little trick of yours, so props for finding out :good:
Looking great! :good:
Yep - look at the metal decks or sides of a battle ship even 20 years old and you'll see them looking very similar to this. An excellent happy accident :)
Thanks for the replies,
The Command Deck Retrofitted:
In view of the new colour scheme the Command deck needed to be brought into accord so the new Command is now complete and ready for furniture and shutters.
The big gaping hole is for the lighting module that will light both the Command and Engineering decks.
Much of the interior is chopped up bitz from a CoD kit with a few home made items such as the blast doors and the front wall panel.
I think the steely interior is more in keeping with the 40K genera but the English signs may be a bit out of place. I can't recall warning signs in my search for Warhammer items.
Anyway the Vestibule of the "Door to Nowhere" now has a pocket door
I definitely need a light in the vestibule to show the detail.
But for now a flash will do.
I really love weekends, I get so much done..............
Phenomenal work! Keep it up.
Update on the powdered metal, in my travels today I tried a local artist supply store where I found "Pearl Ex Pigments"
These are true metallic pigments and I purchased "Aztec Gold", "True Blue" and "Silver" which is actually a grey pigment that I intend to mix with the 'True Blue' to make a 'Steel' colour.
Someone might check for Aussie art stores that may stock similar materials.
Here is a link to a US store for reference and colour chart. Note on the colour chart; it shows the colour but doesn't represent the metallic sheen if the actual pigment.
Since this stuff is manufactured in California, the Super Nanny State, it should be safe enough to feed your Joey as the label says NON-TOXIC.
http://www.jacksons.com.au/index.php...97_447&&page=3 which may be worth exploring; elsewise do you have access to either 'ebay' or 'amazon'?
Gee Blackadder You Sure Have a Lot of Pencils:
Taking a side trip to make the searchlight lenses and mount the lights on the flying greaves.
First order of business was to remove the opaque lenses from the GW searchlight frame, that was accomplished with various drills and my drum rasp.
The flying greave imaged here has the searchlight housing installed and awaiting the LED. What this country needs is a good right angle LED because end on it just won't fit.
A complaint Ms Blackadder has voiced on occasion..... but I digress.
Below the various stages of cutting out the lenses and a finished lens ready for install in the frame and a completed frame and lens that has to be redone as it was my first try and I made the lens too small.
No 'wag' comments please.....
Finally same shot different angle showing a drum rasp in the foreground; an indispensable tool for reshaping styrene.
|All times are GMT. The time now is 10:29 AM.|
Powered by the Emperor of Man.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.