Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   Wargaming News and 40k Rumors (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/34-wargaming-news-40k-rumors/)
-   -   PaintedFigs.com Miniature Scam? (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/wargaming-news-40k-rumors/106060-paintedfigs-com-miniature-scam.html)

MadCowCrazy 02-19-12 04:43 PM

PaintedFigs.com Miniature Scam?

I just received an interesting email about paintedfigs.com, the claims in it are pretty serious.

I'm only posting this because when the DE were released I ordered allot of models from paintedfigs, it however took over 6months before the models arrived. People on podcasts have also mentioned it taking forever before they receive their models. Now this popped up so I'd like to know what you guys think.

I have no idea what's going on, if their site got hacked or something since the article is posted on their own site.

http://www.discountfigs.com/

Emailed them today and got this reply, sounds reasonable to me.

Quote:

Good Morning Daniel,

Navin here, thanks for your email.

I'm sorry but your email address was appropriated during the period that I was talking to Raef about in the interview he does with me here:

http://www.payloadz.com/d1/freeproducts.asp?id=1531825

Discountfigs was stolen from me during this same period, which is discussed in the interview as well.

Journalists turn up when you google them, if you look up M.E. Shenny you will find no evidence that he actually exists. Journalists also don't send out mass emails from sites, that are clearly not news sites.

Our lawyer advises I just ignore this nonsense and carry on, and given that the email lies in its opening line, I'm inclined to agree with him.

I'm sorry you've been getting unsolicited emails, you'll like get more from that source.

Regards,

Navin

MadCowCrazy 02-19-12 06:06 PM

I was going to order my Necron 2nd wave models from them but after reading this I'm not so sure anymore...

Khorne's Fist 02-19-12 06:26 PM

I have to be honest, some of their work is terrible. I just flicked through some of their gallery, and there are begginers on these forums that are far better. Not surprised they ran into financial trouble of one type or another.

GrizBe 02-19-12 06:36 PM

I've only really scan read it... i'd never heard of the place until this to be honest. But... this tells me one of a few things.

Either this is the truth of what is happening with them. They've really pissed off someone to the point of creating this as a fake... which still says to me theres something wrong with them. Or... its someones idea of a joke. Which seems alot of trouble to go to just for this.

In other words... yeah, i'd defiantely not use them again. Especially if its taken them 6 months to send out an army. Hell.. i'm not the best painter in the world and I can easily take a hour to do a single model... but even i could paint at least a 2000 point army to a good display quality in less then a month if I put my mind to it.

MadCowCrazy 02-19-12 07:17 PM

I heard about them on the podcast D6generation, this plus the huge discount they offered when I made my order was the reason I used them. I only ordered boxed models, no painting or anything like that done. I remember receiving the models a month after the DE Battleforce came out. They blamed GW for the problem which is in this "reveal".

Not sure how to take it at all since paintedfigs.com and discountfigs.com used to be the same company when I made my orders but now it seems something has changed.

Emailed them today and got this reply, sounds reasonable to me.

Quote:

Good Morning Daniel,

Navin here, thanks for your email.

I'm sorry but your email address was appropriated during the period that I was talking to Raef about in the interview he does with me here:

http://www.payloadz.com/d1/freeproducts.asp?id=1531825

Discountfigs was stolen from me during this same period, which is discussed in the interview as well.

Journalists turn up when you google them, if you look up M.E. Shenny you will find no evidence that he actually exists. Journalists also don't send out mass emails from sites, that are clearly not news sites.

Our lawyer advises I just ignore this nonsense and carry on, and given that the email lies in its opening line, I'm inclined to agree with him.

I'm sorry you've been getting unsolicited emails, you'll like get more from that source.

Regards,

Navin

orcman 02-20-12 10:29 PM

I contacted http://www.discountfigs.com/ and asked them could I see the emails they say Navin sent.

They sent them over to me. From what I can see they seem to be internal discussions the site has got hold of and thats why Navin is being rather forthcoming in them.

There are indeed emails Navin sent that confirm the things said, which I don't think he ever thought would be made public.

I couldnt believe what I was reading, I suggest you contact them yourself and ask.

Further they say Navin was given an opportunity to answer prior to publication and he refused, they stand by their claims and if Navin wishes to sue for libel he is welcome.

From what I read in those emails he sent he would loose!

wulfmojo 02-23-12 10:50 PM

I saw this over on Faeit212's blog and was shocked. So I came over here to speak my piece in defence of Navin and the company.

These guys are not scammers at all, I've had tons of work done from them over several years. They basically painted my entire Skaven army between about three different orders, as well as a small Chaos Daemons force and a Necromunda team. They aren't the quickest it's true, but from my experience no painting services are quick, it always takes months to get your stuff done. However the majority of work they've done for me has been good quality, and I've always been happy with them. I generally use them if I want an army painted, and another more expensive service if I just want a single model or unit painted.

Navin Weeraratne always used to handle customer service personally and I have a load of old emails from him, plus I added him onto facebook because we used to have a laugh about geeky stuff. It's completely unfair that they're being slandered like this. I think the quoted message in the OP says it all really, this 'journalist' doesn't turn up when Googled, this is just an attempt to screw over the company, which is just appalling.

bitsandkits 02-23-12 11:05 PM

to be honest i dont actually think anyone cares or until this was posted had heard of the company or the alleged scam other than Madcowcrazy

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

wulfmojo 02-23-12 11:11 PM

Well obviously some people had heard of them, or they would never have have been in business at all. If people are anything like me, they generally don't advertise that they've been using a painting service, as it's somewhat frowned upon in the gaming community.

Regardless, I feel they're worth defending, as they've always done good work for me.

GrizBe 02-24-12 11:08 AM

Frankly, while I'm not fully aware of the situation, or the people involved, I'd think that if one company is posting such things about another company they used to be a part of, there must be some element of truth to what they are saying....

Also, for someone to have to sit down and write something that long and have it be a bunch of lies.... again, someones really pissed someone else off, which again says to me theres an element of truth to it.

Until its resolved one way or another, i'd steer clear of them just to be safe.