Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   General 40k (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/14-general-40k/)
-   -   When old trolls ruin it for kids.... (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/general-40k/103790-when-old-trolls-ruin-kids.html)

ARMORMAN 01-08-12 09:14 PM

When old trolls ruin it for kids....

This was posted on another forum I'm a part of....stuff like this reallllly pisses me off:

anyone else met a gamer needing a life??
Ok, bit of a rant but more a 'you must be kidding!'
My nephew went along to a warhammer night, got interested and has been playing for a few months, not having a lot of money, he couldn't get a tank that he wanted so I found some templates and made him one from the card packs his soldiers had come in.

When he went to play with it, the club games master yelled at him and told him he couldn't use it as it 'wasn't games workshop made'. As he had asked me to go that night to watch his new tank I was there and pointed out that it was ahobby and they encourage you to modify and convert stuff. He got all officious and said it had to have mostly games workshop material base or it wasn't acceptable. I couldn't help myself but picked the tank up, scraped of some of the paint and showed this "person" the GW logo. By this time my nephew was in tears and has now decided he doesn't want to play wargames anymore. This mongrel really steams my cookies, this kid (he's 10 btw) was so into this and he doesn't have much opportunity to get into anythig and to have his pride squashed by this A$$ really gets me.

I'm hoping he'll still be into modelling, I'm trying to find some non-warhammer related stuff for him to do as we had just started making a few tanks and things for him to use and now he doesn't want to touch it.

Anyone want to comment on an adult (or near adult - or perhaps more precisely an "a-dolt") treating a 10 year old this way?

Orochi 01-08-12 09:25 PM

It is very sad that a grown man would act that way.

Some people however, are very into the hobby. They take it all very seriously and are very competitive which I do respect.

However, this man should of used his judgement and maturity here.

One days noob is another days vet.

ARMORMAN 01-08-12 09:32 PM

In the plastic modeling communities, dolts like this are known as "rivet counters" - arguing and counting how many rivets are on plane panels to see if they are absolutely accurate to the real thing. I call them "basement dwellers" - people who live in their parent's basement at the tender age of 35+ years old.

It's a game, for crying out loud. If you want GW to continue to be around for a long time to come, then you need young blood to keep it alive.

Midge913 01-08-12 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARMORMAN (Post 1137125)
In the plastic modeling communities, dolts like this are known as "rivet counters" - arguing and counting how many rivets are on plane panels to see if they are absolutely accurate to the real thing. I call them "basement dwellers" - people who live in their parent's basement at the tender age of 35+ years old.

It's a game, for crying out loud. If you want GW to continue to be around for a long time to come, then you need young blood to keep it alive.

I completely agree with you mate.... The man is an asshole. If this was a 20+ person with a job and the time and resources to buy and collect actual GW stuff then he may have had more of a leg to stand on.... wouldn't make him less of an asshole, but may have lent credence to his side. But that was not the case here..... What a jerk.

khrone forever 01-08-12 09:45 PM

one of the old teachers had massive goes at anyone if they slightly missinterprited a rule, or decided to re-paint one of their models. he trove some people out of the hobby

gen.ahab 01-08-12 09:46 PM

13 Attachment(s)
The dude is a cunt and needs to be taken behind a shed and have his head kicked in a half a dozen times. That is unacceptable behavior for a child let alone a grown fucking man.

Svartmetall 01-08-12 09:53 PM

Wow...what a total arsehole. Is there a store manager or something there you can complain about this guy's unfriendly, driving-people-away attitude to? Someone who reduces 10-year-olds to tears has no business running games for them.

ARMORMAN 01-08-12 10:02 PM

I just emailed the kid's uncle to try to get more info. If GM had done that to one of my kids....If he had any models with him, they'd probably be in little tiny pieces from me force feeding them to him.

He's gotta be feeling pretty macho...berating a 10 year old like that...

KhainiteAssassin 01-08-12 10:06 PM

the fact that the tank was built to represent a real tank by you, i am assuming it atleast had the correct dimensions and approximate shape?

To be fair, there is a line between this, which the guy was clearly being a jerk, and others, which I have seen, bringing in those plastic army men (the actual ones we had as kids, all green, not on the right bases, etc) wanting to have their kid play with those with the grownups in a big tournament game, which they were politely asked to remove their toy soldiers off the table. since a. the kid wasnt into the game to where they wanted the real models, and b. the kids father was being an asshole at the time. Both situations come out to a similar scene, but your scene, your nephew should have been able to play in the game, as im sure it wasnt a tournament even, yes? just a friendly game?

Old Man78 01-08-12 10:06 PM

Gen.ahab is correct the man is a cunt and deserves shot with a ball of his own shite!! the man could have easily admired the effort in the scratch build and told your nephew that he couldn't wait to see how he do on a proper model when he got a chance and encouraged the kid, but no he acted like an elitist wanker. Continue to support and encourage your nephew please don't let that asshole put someone off a great hobby.