Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   General 40k (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/14-general-40k/)
-   -   Blood Angels Death Company (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/general-40k/100552-blood-angels-death-company.html)

arizonajirt 11-04-11 09:09 PM

Blood Angels Death Company

Hello,
I am not a Blood Angels player but am intrigued by the Death Company. I have a few questions for those more versed in the Blood Angels then I am. I have the codex and have read it, but these I just wanted some clarification on.

1) I know that the Death Company is a troop choice (0-1) and is a non scoring unit. but putting that aside, is it possible to build and play an entire DC army. I know if you add Asroth the Grimm the 0-1 restriction is removed.

2) DC can take standard transports (ie Rhino, razorback, drop pod and land raiders) but can they use a storm raven as a transport/heavy support

3) can fast attack/heavy support/etc be used and painted up as DC in a full DC army. I am thinking thing like land speeders, baal preditors, whirlwinds, and vindi's.

4) can DC take TDA? I dont believe they can, but thought I would ask. I think it would be pretty bad ass to see DC TDA with lightning claw(s) and/or storm bolter.

Thanks for your input in this.

Midge913 11-04-11 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arizonajirt (Post 1099890)
Hello,
I am not a Blood Angels player but am intrigued by the Death Company. I have a few questions for those more versed in the Blood Angels then I am. I have the codex and have read it, but these I just wanted some clarification on.

1) I know that the Death Company is a troop choice (0-1) and is a non scoring unit. but putting that aside, is it possible to build and play an entire DC army. I know if you add Asroth the Grimm the 0-1 restriction is removed.

Yes it is possible but it would be expensive as hell points wise. Each DC Marine costs 20 points before upgrades or transports.

2) DC can take standard transports (ie Rhino, razorback, drop pod and land raiders) but can they use a storm raven as a transport/heavy support

Yes they can. Anything in the army can use a storm raven as a transport, it just doesn't count as a dedicated transport.

3) can fast attack/heavy support/etc be used and painted up as DC in a full DC army. I am thinking thing like land speeders, baal preditors, whirlwinds, and vindi's.

You can paint your army in what every color scheme that you want but from a fluff perspective it wouldn't make much sense. DC marines are basically crazed berzerkers, all sense of tactics and target priority is lost. Having them crew tanks and speeders would be a hella bad idea. You can paint them black but they wont have the DC rules and special abilities.

4) can DC take TDA? I dont believe they can, but thought I would ask. I think it would be pretty bad ass to see DC TDA with lightning claw(s) and/or storm bolter.

No terminator armor is not availble to the DC, though I have seen terminators painted in a DC scheme before. Again you can paint them anyway you like, but they will not have the DC special rules.

Hope this answers your questions.

aboytervigon 11-04-11 09:21 PM

1) very possible, Use DC as your troops, Astorath as a hq and spam the living heck out of chaplains and death company

2)As long as its empty they can deploy in it yes.

3)Its your army, they don't get any new rules but paint them as unicorns if you want to.

4)Depends what TDA is.

OIIIIIIO 11-04-11 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arizonajirt (Post 1099890)
Hello,

Yes you can

One squad per Strom Raven can be started in each Raven

They are your army and you can paint them however you wish

No Terminator Armour for the DC.

Hope this helped

arizonajirt 11-04-11 09:38 PM

Thank you for all of your quick replies. ya'll have answered all of my questions. I have a thing for black power armored armies (hence my 9000 pt Raven Guard). I picked up 3 boxes of DC and Lemartes for about 50% off and will start with that and see what I do. Who knows, I might end up building an entire Blood Angels Battle Company by the time this is over. I was pretty certain that TDA (terminator armor) could not be used, btu I figured I would see if I was just over looking something. Again, thanks for the imput.

jaysen 11-05-11 04:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I've done this. Check out my Blood Angels Chapter project log or the Army show case. I've got over 100 Death Company marines, a Death Company Rhino, a Death Company Stormraven, and 5-6 Death Company Dreadnoughts.

If you want to keep the points cost down, get a Reclusiarch, 1 Death Company over 5+, 1 DC Dreadnought, 1+ StormRavens. I've found that 5 Death Company + Chaplain + DC Dreadnought + Stormraven to transport them can really mess up an opponent's game plan. You drop these guys off in his back yard. He focuses 100% of his attention on them. Meanwhile, you capture all the objectives with scouts and run a few Baal Predators up his flank.

Justindkates 11-05-11 06:50 AM

Man I really want to build an all DC army. I know its meta game, super win all the time but set up straight annihilation missions would be FUN!

jaysen 11-05-11 10:53 AM

The mega Death Company is a fun Datasheet Formation to use in Apocalypse. That's really the only forum that makes sense for them. I've got a 6,000pt Death Company list I have fielded twice. The first time, all the dreadnoughts (8 of them) died in the first turn. Then, the 3 x 30 Death Company squads went to wrecking things and destroyed all the enemy in my zone. However, they failed to capture any objectives, even though we were playing that all units can hold objectives. They just couldn't sit still a turn and had to go rushing off towards the enemy in the next zone over.

The second game, I took hits from a Chaos Titan legion of a reaver and two warhounds, killing about half the list. Then, they all rushed forward and spent the rest of the game trying to kill the titans. I think I ended up killing the warhounds, but lost all my troops before the 4th round was over.

What I'd really like to do, is to start off with a Battle Company. Then, if I take too many casualties, they all go berzerk and I replace them with a Death Company list.

Kane Errient 11-05-11 11:35 AM

If you want to make a Death Company themed army the Flesh Tearers would be worth looking into as they have a high proportion of battle brothers in their Death Company and are known for their savagery.

Alternatively there are also the Knights of Blood who have been excommunicated for their savagery and Blood Lust.

Also as others have suggested you could create your own chapter were the flaw has taken precedence.

jaysen 11-06-11 07:57 AM

Yeah, you could have a special character chaplain that "saves" death company marines at the end of battles, putting them into stasis, and using them as a whole strike force. Then, at the end of the battle, he has some special ability to soothe the survivors long enough to put them into stasis. Kinda like Lemartes and Mortarion, except on a company scale.