Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   General 40k (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/14-general-40k/)
-   -   Appearance & Composition @ tourneys (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/general-40k/100487-appearance-composition-%40-tourneys.html)

Jace of Ultramar 11-03-11 02:03 PM

Appearance & Composition @ tourneys
 
Hello,

Just a quick question on the topic of appearance & composition for an army at a tourney.

I was at my LGS last night and a friend of mine was talking to me about past tournaments he held at his store and how every now and then someone would absolutely complain about how they had the best painted squad, won all their games, and yet didn't come in first. Usually, he said, the individual would not have flocked the base or something to that effect and that they would ask random customers to pick their 5 favourite armies rating them from 1-5, thus preventing the store from having a biased opinion due to it being a random person's rating on appearance. He and another person would take these results and determine ranking with them. He also explained to me that this was but a percentage of an overall scoring that had to do with sportsmanship and other things.

Which brings me to the question of; is it acceptable to have more than one chapter represented in an army? I'm primarily building a Crimson Fist army but happen to have about 10 Ultramarines, painted as such due to the shoulder pads having the moulded U on it, and Telion. In the SM codex, right before unit stats, there is a grey box discussing that not all the following units are from the same chapter and having more than one chapter represented can signify cooperation between two chapters. Is this acceptable on a tourney level? I'd like to know seeing as how I've already painted the Ultramarines and Telion to their specifications.

Bubblematrix 11-03-11 02:34 PM

Personally I think that look, composition, colour etc has about as much place in final tournament rankings as favourite sports team - I don't play tournaments but if I did then I would get pissed that I may rank lower than someone just because they smiled at their oponents jokes and had an army they bought nicely painted for them.

Put those in a seperate category, have a sportsmans and best painted army award but they should be kept out of rankings imo.

As for different chapters in the same army, I would suggest that these kinds of scoring systems will favour you more for a single chapter army all painted in continuous colour scheme - in most cases it simply looks better.

jaysen 11-04-11 01:12 PM

It is fine to have several different chapters in one space marine army, as long as they are all from the same codex. If they are well-painted, and look to be the same army, they will do well. For example, each squad have an army badge in addition to their chapter colors and iconagraphy. Also, ensure all the squads have similar basing that ties the army together.

Jace of Ultramar 11-04-11 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysen (Post 1099603)
It is fine to have several different chapters in one space marine army, as long as they are all from the same codex. If they are well-painted, and look to be the same army, they will do well. For example, each squad have an army badge in addition to their chapter colors and iconagraphy. Also, ensure all the squads have similar basing that ties the army together.

Okay, that's good to know. I'm not at the basing stage yet but will get there soon enough. Thankfully I have enough Crimson Fist decals to go around. Furthermore, I have 20 Ultramarines with the shoulder pads.
In regards to iconography, is the arrow on the right pad necessary?

Durandal 11-04-11 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubblematrix (Post 1098907)
Personally I think that look, composition, colour etc has about as much place in final tournament rankings as favourite sports team - I don't play tournaments but if I did then I would get pissed that I may rank lower than someone just because they smiled at their oponents jokes and had an army they bought nicely painted for them.

Why do you assume if someone has a well painted army they didnt do the work themselves?

Quote:

Put those in a seperate category, have a sportsmans and best painted army award but they should be kept out of rankings imo.
I agree, sports and painting should not factor into best general at all.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:00 AM.

Powered by the Emperor of Man.


vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome