Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   General 40k (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/14-general-40k/)
-   -   Units You Just Take Anyway (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/general-40k/100034-units-you-just-take-anyway.html)

jaysen 10-28-11 07:59 AM

I've done an entire Battle Company in drop pods before while playing a massive planetstrike / apocalypse megabattle. It was really cool dropping 11 pods in two turns, but then the units were somewhat stranded the rest of the game.

Woodzee316 10-28-11 08:43 AM

would have to say my ork wierdboy i love to use him for his randomness. i think he goes in here because he soaks up a HQ slot and needs the warphead upgrade which takes his points up a fair bit. so every now and then i don't give him the upgrade just for the fact his head might explode :biggrin: (which has only ever happenned twice much to my and my friends dissapointment), and also flash gitz just cause they look cool, these units i take when playing non competative fun games.

Hitman4444 10-28-11 11:18 AM

the unit i'll always use is my rune priest on a bike, purely because the thought of a rune priest zooming around the battlefield on his bike throwing living lightning at anything he wants is just awesome :P

Khazaddum 10-28-11 11:17 PM

Chaos Spawn. Fits in with my mutating army perfectly. On the battlefield, well "dead ducks" spring to mind.

Zion 10-28-11 11:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Khazaddum (Post 1095437)
Chaos Spawn. Fits in with my mutating army perfectly. On the battlefield, well "dead ducks" spring to mind.

I'd rate the dead ducks since you can eat the duck. No one wants to eat a Chaos Spawn. :grin:

Durandal 10-29-11 02:40 AM

Definitely gotta be Draigo. I love the fluff for him, and find he has a lot of fun rules, even if he is pricey and doesnt really do a lot for the game. Between the model and the coolness that are paladins, I cant really justify not taking him.

jaysen 10-29-11 05:47 AM

I thought this was supposed to be about crappy choices that you take just because of the fluff, or the cool model, or whatever. Draigo is not a crappy choice, by any stretch.

Stephen_Newman 10-29-11 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hitman4444 (Post 1095098)
the unit i'll always use is my rune priest on a bike, purely because the thought of a rune priest zooming around the battlefield on his bike throwing living lightning at anything he wants is just awesome :P

A friend of mine does this. However he has appaling luck with it since the bike crashes at any time it so much as touches terrain or fences.

willydstyle 10-29-11 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen_Newman (Post 1095637)
A friend of mine does this. However he has appaling luck with it since the bike crashes at any time it so much as touches terrain or fences.

Since you only take one wound from a failed DT test, this shouldn't be *too* disastrous. Also, ICs have "skilled rider" by default.

Capt.Al'rahhem 10-29-11 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comrade (Post 1094931)
with IG I refuse to use Valkyries/Vendettas/ or Vets.

I know, its supposed to be about what I should take, not what I don't take.

:)

^This, except I use two fully meched platoons (one with Al'rahem, go figure :laugh:).

For me it's got to be my fully outfitted CCS with Comp. Standard, Medic & (master) Vox. People always tell me those points are better spent else where but I think that's the way a CCS should be outfitted, fluffily, and they're all converted models, which took time & effort to do. I hate how, in this ed. codex, most peoples CCS & PCS have just become glorified SWS.

I also almost always take, in friendly games, (counts as) Dozer Blades on all my LRs & Chimeras because they were all made with Rough Terrain Mods (double tracked) for last edition. It's also for fluff 'cause they're desert tanks, wider tracks = lower ground pressure. That another pet peeve of mine about this ed. codex, they coulda left it Rough Terrain Mods even if most people are to lazy to do anything other then stick a dozer blade on them. Now my lovingly converted Double Tracks "count as" Dozer Blades.