Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/)
-   General 40k (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/14-general-40k/)
-   -   Units You Just Take Anyway (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/general-40k/100034-units-you-just-take-anyway.html)

Ravner298 10-25-11 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawnstar (Post 1092973)
1. 9x 1k Sons and the Aspiring Sorcerer (10 models total), who has Doombolt, in a Rhino.
2. 312 points all up. I normally use them in either 1750 or 1850 pt games
3. People underestimate Thousand Sons, both in the codex and on the table. Somewhat hard to kill as well thanks to the 3+/4++ they get :)

The models I use for 1k Sons I spent longer than normal making sure the Blue armour turned out right, plus they almost always end up performing well in the game

This. I enjoy using them alot, mostly because the vast majority of players at my FLGS are mEQ, and they're one of the best squads I've painted. Those headdresses take for.ever. Got any pics up dawnstar?

Quote:

grandmaster and 3 riffleman dreads with psybolts, having way to much fun with them at the mo. can't remember the points but it's a fair few and i've even used them in 1000pt games, the bigger the game the more are ven
This is why we can't have nice things.

Zion 10-25-11 01:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Repentia. The internet seems to hate them and I've had to find a way to steal them a ride but it's fun feeding them an entire Marine Tactical Squad AND their dedicated transport (the horror on a Marine player's face when that happens is just awesome, and yes a Priest helps quite a bit even if you lose fleet while he's alive).

They run me 205 points for a Priest, Mistress of Repentance, and eight Repentia which is what I normally run a 2,000 points.

Why do I use these fragile girls? Because honestly they'ee very potent if used well, and who doeesn't want a unit of S6 chainfists?

Samules 10-25-11 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen_Newman (Post 1093086)
Autarch-yes I have one. I give it a jetbike, laser lance, mandilblasters and a fusion gun-costs about 130 points. I use it because he makes a great support by darting out and dealing half a dozen S6 power weapon attacks at any one time. Great sniper weapon since his speed means I can choose which targets to engage with him and his expendable meatshield (I mean invaluable comrades) of Shining Spears protect him from S6 weapons or higher.

Shining Spears-I use 5 with Exarch with Star Lance (no point in exarch powers because Autarch negates them)-costs a lot but I use them because I like the idea of knights and are quite decent at times. I just wish they had pistols so they cold gain an extra attack.

Why does everyone think autarchs negate powers? Check page 21. "Note that exarch powers can only ever affect aspect warriors and autarchs in the same squad as the Ezarch using them..."

willydstyle 10-25-11 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawnstar (Post 1093040)

Seriosuly, if you think the codex is THAT BAD then don't play it and spare us another "Teh Chaos Sux!

Eh, it's a valid complaint. When I do, admittedly infrequently, play my Chaos, I simply have to understand that I'm playing the army out of love for my models which are awesomely converted, and include some very classic minis from RT. However, my love for the minis does not change the fact that nearly every unit I take is going to be over-costed and under-effective compared to units in more modern codices. That *is* what this thread is about, right?

Mundungu 10-25-11 07:30 PM

The Chaos Dreadnought. I love dreads, and am not starting a second marine army just to field them effectively. Instead, I hope for that 2-5 roll, or at least 1 or 6 when it won't hurt me.

Ravner298 10-26-11 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mundungu (Post 1093363)
The Chaos Dreadnought. I love dreads, and am not starting a second marine army just to field them effectively. Instead, I hope for that 2-5 roll, or at least 1 or 6 when it won't hurt me.

A note on this, the guys I play against are pretty seasoned players playing some of the newer codexes (GK, IG and BA) and they simply tell me to negate the fire frenzy rule because it's the dumbest thing they've ever seen. (casual games, of course). I'd never take a dread in a tournie but man those FW models are simply gorgeous.

C'Tan Chimera 10-26-11 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SavageConvoy (Post 1092992)
Tau Gun Drones. I love those little bastards. And I think they have a higher vehicle kill rate than my broadsides.

^This. If I had an Ipod Touch, you can bet I would play a high pitched version of Flight of the Valkyries whenever they assaulted, well, anything.

Minizke1 10-26-11 02:35 PM

Captain Lysander and 10 TH/SS Terminators in a 750 point match.

Moonschwine 10-26-11 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravner298 (Post 1093889)
A note on this, the guys I play against are pretty seasoned players playing some of the newer codexes (GK, IG and BA) and they simply tell me to negate the fire frenzy rule because it's the dumbest thing they've ever seen. (casual games, of course). I'd never take a dread in a tournie but man those FW models are simply gorgeous.

Do you mean Ignore if you roll a 1? Or just use the LOS trick to double-tap your nearest enemy model?

spanner94ezekiel 10-26-11 11:28 PM

9 DA vets with DLC, plus one with a meltagun, in a land raider crusader with azrael and an interrogator chaplain. Comes to 1275, so I use it in anything friendly at 2000+. With that no. Of lightning claw attacks, you MEQ units better be afraid...

In smaller games I love a 5-10 man DA scout squad with BP/CCW, plus PF and MB, because they cause so much havoc, like taking out fexes back in 4th ed, or one-shotting land raiders with meltabombs.