Non Metallic Metal - Gold - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-11, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Ragnar's Flag is: Former Soviet Union

Default Non Metallic Metal - Gold

I'm speed painting a Rune Priest up for a competition (need to start and finish him within a month, spending 12 days unable to paint, and working on commissions) and I figured I may as well snap some pics and put out another tutorial for you guys.

First, your palette: Khemri Brown (foundation paint henceforth known as KB)
Snakebite Leather (Snakebite)
Bubonic Brown (Bubonic)
Bleached Bone (Bleached)
Skull White (Skull)
Dark Flesh (Dark)
Devlan Mud (Devlan)
Copious amounts of water to keep your paints thinned down to facilitate blending (feathering and glazing are best to use here, but simple layering can work in a pinch also)

Step 1: Over an undercoat (I used white, but it honestly doesn't matter *that* much for gold and silver; you'll be darkening shadows and lightening highlights enough to get a damn near identical result either way) paint a 1-1 mix of KB to snakebite in a couple of thin coats, keeping an even coverage and not letting the paint pool.

Step 2: Now, mix up a 1-1-1 mix of KB to snakebite to bubonic and apply this *away* from the place where light will directly fall upon the metal. Basically, for NMM (the vast majority of them, anyway), you'll want to basically reverse the direction and placement of highlights on areas. In this way, the highest points are darkest (with a white dot at the top, to be shown later) and the lowest points highlighted to near white. Keeping this in mind, feather a couple of thin coats from this step in such a way, followed by a further coat of 2-3-3-1 KB to snakebite to bubonic to bleached to achieve this look:

Step 3: For this mix, use 1-2-2-2 KB to snakebite to bubonic to bleached, making sure to blend your layers, followed by 1-1-1 snakebite to bubonic to bleached. At this last layer, you should be within the bottom quarter of the space you're painting. Also, in this stage, you'll want to *thinly* glaze dark flesh over the whole surface, making very sure none of it pools anywhere; simply rub off the excess liquid on a towel and brush the rest onto the surface. Also, glaze some devlan onto the darkest point (closest to the light source) to add to contrast.

Step 4: Mix up 1-1-4 snakebite to bubonic to bleached, followed by pure bleached, and followed by a final edge highlight of sorts of 1-1 bleached to skull. It should look something like this:

Step 5: For this final stage, you may want to add one more glaze of dark flesh and also darken the upper most parts further with devlan, but that is to personal taste. Add a *small* dot of pure white at the very tips closest to the light source in the darkest part of the gold to represent the reflection of the light source itself. It will look like this when you're finished:

If you have any questions or comments, please let me know, as usual. I'll write up one for silver at some point, when I can. It's pretty much the same, but with greys and possibly even reddish browns if you like. Good luck, happy painting fellas.

kotaminipainting.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en;903449 and spanner94ezekiel
i actually signed up here just to ask you how you painted the yellow. ^_^ more Ragnar stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-11, 09:48 PM

callred's Flag is: United Kingdom

very very nice explanation and finished work cheers

+rep

also how soon till a "silver" version?

;)

5th ed Black Templars W-9, D-4, L-14
4th ed Tourney Grey Knights (Retired) W-3, D-4, L-9
5th ed Grey Knights W-3, D-1, L-5

I KNEW THAT SOMEDAY I WAS GONNA DIE / AND I KNEW BEFORE I DIED TWO THINGS WOULD HAPPEN TO ME / THAT NUMBER ONE I WOULD REGRET MY ENTIRE LIFE / AND NUMBER TWO I WOULD WANT TO LIVE MY LIFE OVER AGAIN

QUOTE BY: HUBERT SELBY JR. (1928-2004)
QUOTED: SOUNDBITE IN OF WALKING ABORTION

Last edited by callred; 03-18-11 at 09:51 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-11, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

right after I beat the elite four ;)

kotaminipainting.com
Quote:
i actually signed up here just to ask you how you painted the yellow. ^_^ more Ragnar stuff!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-11, 10:19 AM

Mr.Juggernaught's Flag is: Australia

I love it, it is awesome like all of your other painting tutorials. When you say you blend do you use normal blending (which I have never really tried) or wet blending (which I can actually do!!)
BTW: Do you have a blending tutorial?
+Rep

Sir Nom Nom will eat your brains if you dare not to click on him. Where do you think he got his name?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-11, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

I use a combination of layering, glazing, and feathering most of the time. I've never actually wet-blended before, but that can work pretty well from what I've seen people do. I've never actually thought of making a blending tutorial before... not sure how I'd do it, but I'll think on it. Anyhow, thank for the praise buddy

kotaminipainting.com
Quote:
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-11, 10:44 AM
Slave to the Brush

InkedDnA's Flag is: USA

I've been looking for a good NMM Gold tut. This is a pretty damn good one! Thanks for the info.

"YOU CAN DO IT! CUT HIS FUCKING HEAD OFF!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Tutorials > Painting and Airbrushing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode