White Death Guard Plague Marines Tutorial - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-15, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
To The Dark Tower Came

The Gunslinger's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default White Death Guard Plague Marines Tutorial

White Death Guard Plague Marines Tutorial

Hi guys, just thought I would put up a tutorial for this really easy way to paint death guard plague marines that are still mostly white with the dark green trim, so like they have recently turned from their legion colours.

Ok so first step is to undercoat the model white, and touch it up with some regular white if needs be. Then paint the trim a dark green, like Catachan green, and the bolter and other obvious metal areas an orange colour, I used vermin brown instead. I also painted the eyes a bright green, which should look good after the washes.

Next wash the whole model with a green, I used Biel-tan green, but any should be fine.

After that, dry brush the model with white, The hope is overall the model will look white with a grin tint to it rather then just another green plague marine. I found it easier to use a layer white instead of a actual dry paint and then try and almost repaint the main armour areas, whilst leaving the trim and the gaps in the armour with the green tint. It takes abit of trial and error to get the amount right, and it is easier to do one area at a time rather then just wildly doing the whole model.

Dont worry if you make abit of a mess, the washes will obscure most things. You are aiming for something like this:

After that touch up the brown/orange and green areas that may have white on it, like the bolter and the shoulder pads so they look like they did in the first part, it is important to do that now because they benefit from the washes. Then use a black wash to get into the deepest areas, like the joints in the armour and backpack etc.

Then use a brown wash, like seraphim sepia, to wash the whole model from top to bottom.

Finally dry brush some metal over the bolter and metal areas, especially the areas that would get lots of contact, like handles etc. I also used a gold for the bolter rounds. And highlight the shoulder pads with a lighter green.

And thatís it, really easy to do, and looks great.

Thanks for looking, and I hope you enjoyed and found it useful.

Cheers, The Gunslinger

Check out my Project Log: Forbidden Colours!

Last edited by The Gunslinger; 05-04-15 at 02:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-15, 07:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Damn, thats awesome; definitely gonna have to give it a try when I get some plague marines of my own.

My only criticism about the tutorial is your steps 3 and 4 each contain two painting steps but have one picture. I'd recommend getting ones up for both parts in those steps (step 3, for example, is use a green wash and then dry brush the model with white. Having pics of what the model should look like before the dry brushed layer would have been nice.)

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-15, 07:28 PM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

that's seems easy! good stuff, might want to try it.

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-15, 09:26 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

That's a nice succinct tutorial appropriate even for beginners.

I believe this deserves rep but alas I must spread it around.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-15, 10:44 PM
Irn Bru 32!

Nacho libre's Flag is: Scotland

Repping this up man!

Using it right now for some nurgle marines.

It's sexy.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-15, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
To The Dark Tower Came

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
Damn, thats awesome; definitely gonna have to give it a try when I get some plague marines of my own.

My only criticism about the tutorial is your steps 3 and 4 each contain two painting steps but have one picture. I'd recommend getting ones up for both parts in those steps (step 3, for example, is use a green wash and then dry brush the model with white. Having pics of what the model should look like before the dry brushed layer would have been nice.)
Yep you are completely right about that, im not sure what happened there, im sure I took some more photos.

Seeing them up on the big screen, some of the photos could be better as well, im doing a whole squad at the minute so i will be sure to take more photos at each step and update the tutorial.

Thanks for the feedback guys

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-16, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
To The Dark Tower Came

Default Death Guard cultist

Hey guys, so I'm back with this painting style. I wanted to see how it worked on a group of cultists. For the most part I followed the same steps as above but with a few extra bits thrown in.
The problem with the cultist models are they are so detailed, especially for a unit that serves as mostly cannon fodder. Like my marine above, I like to think this serves as an easy way, having painted them in an afternoon, to make them look like diseased servants of Nurgle.

So step 1: take your cultists and undercoat them white.

Step 2: Use a green wash all over the model. I used Biel-tan green, because it's what i had available.

Step 3: Kinda dry brush the model with a layer white again, you want to cover more then a dry paint would, but not completely cover the green shade underneath.

Step 4aint the metallic parts a browny orange colour. Any detailed areas a dark green if you want, just to break up the model. And the one difference from the plague marine above is paint the exposed skin. Now the colour isn't to important as it will get washed with the rest of the model later.

Step 5: Now use a black wash to give the model some detail, don't use it all over, but just to give definition to those deep areas.

Step 6: Use a brown wash all over the model, I used both seraphim sepia and devlan mud, but just go step by step until you are happy with it.

Step 6: Now it is pretty much up to you, use what ever level of washes you want to give you a finished model. I ended up using another green wash on the skin to make it look more nurgly, and like I said two brown washes before. Then I dry brushed some silver on the guns and blades. Paint any more detail you fancy, but for cultists, I was happy with the end result.

So there you go, really easy, really quick. Won't be winning golden daemon with them but I think they look pretty good.
Svartmetall and KahRyez like this.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-16, 11:16 PM
Great Unclean One

Svartmetall's Flag is: Wales

Definitely liking that for Nurgle cultists, as it's a colour scheme that looks decent without driving you insane having to do it like 20 times over...

The ever-growing horde of Death Guard: Pandemic
Nurgle Daemons army: Angels of Disease
Death Guard fiction: 'Incursion'
Nurgle 101 Tutorial

THE IMPERIUM TONIGHT #1, #2, #3
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-16, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
To The Dark Tower Came

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Definitely liking that for Nurgle cultists, as it's a colour scheme that looks decent without driving you insane having to do it like 20 times over...
Thanks mate, coming from you that means a lot.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-16, 03:27 PM

Extremely helpful ,and awesome! Thanks so much

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Tutorials > Painting and Airbrushing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode