How I make Plague Marines - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-25-14, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Saintspirit's Flag is: Sweden

Default How I make Plague Marines

So, finally I have made my fourth tutorial - this one then based on how I painted (and to some part, built) my custom Plague Marines, the Templars of Despair. As you might know, they are based on Dark Angel veterans, as I thought the capes would fit pretty well with the other Word Bearers in the army. Now then:

1. I started with taking the DA body, and cutting and drilling it a little so that it would look more plague-like. After that, I glued the other parts onto it (also made plague-like). The plague knife was taken from the CSM-kit, I think.

2. Then, I sanded the base and sprayed it black.

3. As a start for the painting, I painted the armour with a 2:1:3:2 mix of Khorne Red, Dryad Bark, Rhinox Hide and Abaddon Black; the cape was painted with Stormvermin Fur, and some various iron parts (the knife, a few parts on the pistol, the broken aquilla and the armour lining mainly) was painted with a 1:1 of Boltgun Metal and Abaddon Black.

4. After that, I highlighted the black leftovers (such as the pistol) with a 2:1 of Abaddon Black and Codex Grey. After that, I washed the armour, the metal, and the black parts with Nuln Oil, and also washed the coat with Biel-Tan Green.

5. When that was dry, I layered the armour with a 1:2 mix of Khorne Red and Rhinox Hide, and highlighted the metal parts with Boltgun Metal. Also, I made an extreme highlight on the minor black parts, with a 1:2 blend of Abaddon Black and Codex Grey, and layered the cape with Stormvermin Fur.

6. After that, I painted an extreme highlight on the armour with Khorne Red, put some Agrax Earthshade dots on various parts of the armour and the cape, and painted rust (1:2:1 of Khorne Red, Macharius Solar Orange and Rhinox Hide) on the metal parts.

7. You're almost done! Now I painted the warband symbol, a burning sword, with Gretchin Green and then a 2:1 of Gretchin Green and Rakarth Flesh. The sword itself was painted just with Abaddon Black.

8. Now, I painted Dark Angels Green as a liquid coming out from the various holes I drilled earlier, I highlighted the cape once more, first with Stormvermin Fur and then with a 2:1 mix of Stormvermin Fur and Rakarth Flesh; I also highlighted the metal with Boltgun Metal. Finally, I painted the liquid with Gloss Varnish, and based it. Done!

(Sorry, last pic wasn't very good)

My Word Bearers Project
My Tutorials - part 1: Word Bearer
My Tutorials - part 2: Word Bearer Cultist
My Tutorials - part 3: Plaguebearer
My Tutorials - part 4: Plague Marine
Quote:
To make a model into a piece of art, you need to find a model that you like, and a painting scheme that you love.
Quote:
"They are fierce indeed these Kor, and savage. I look upon them and tremble at their ferocity. I can only hope that when the enemy sees them they tremble as I do."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-30-14, 09:53 AM

Dakingofchaos's Flag is: United Kingdom

Looking good! Seen these in your blog, its nice to see how you do them.

'If you fail to prepare then you'd better prepare to fail'

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Tutorials > Painting and Airbrushing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode