Plague Bearers - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-21-12, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

Chaos40kAD's Flag is: USA

Default Plague Bearers

Hello Friends. So this is my first tutorial and having looked at some of the others, I feel it's pretty meager. That being said, I will present it anyway and hopefully get better at them.

The inspiration for me to do this was that Plague Bearers are a really good unit for us Chaos Daemon players, and in many lists will be our only troop choice. So I wanted mine to look pretty good and gross and if nothing else look better than my opponents models. I'm by no means an excellent painter, but I feel these models are decent table-top quality if not a little better and take no time at all. So without further Ado.. here's the pictures with descriptions. Feel free to comment and provide any feedback you feel necessary (I know I need a photobox to get better quality pictures, and these were all taken with my HTC Thunderbolt Phone.)

I used a few paints on this model, Here is a picture of them

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
So the basis of this simple paint scheme is a white primer on the entire model/base.

Then I use a wash on the entire model of Ogryn Flesh (which I know is know longer available, though something similar is).

Next up you get out your handy dandy Beat-ass-Pile dry brush and liberally apply some Fortress Grey over the entire model. I also painted the blade of the sword with some Boltgun metal. (I ended up doing this model in two sessions and would have painted the wrist shackle and chain as well at this time)

Uploaded with ImageShack.usUploaded with ImageShack.us
Now that this step is complete hes starting to look pretty dirty and gross, so I use some Baal red wash on all the gore spots, just two applications for that dense gore look.

At this point I paint his tentacle "hand" with some Camo Green and use the same brush after adding the detail to highlight a few of the edges of his gore wounds to give that Gangrenous look

Now I used some Graveyard earth to paint the base and use the above technique to drybrush a few spots on his carcass that need to be darkened up just a touch. I will also add some Devlan Mud wash to his tentacle "hand" and eye socket.

I'm not much for basing, so I just have a big can of potting sand I got for 2 dollars at a feed store, and I use an old paintbrush and some Elmers white glue, paint it on the base, and then dip the whole thing in the can and shake it around a little.

Now at this point I will add some Badab black wash to the blade, and maybe a little bronze drybrush to the tip to make it look a little more worn.. I also added one dot of orange to his "eye" and put a dot of watered down Devlan Mud over it when it dried to look a little tired. And then finally Devlan mud on his wrist shackle and tentacle.

I like to seal the model in two stages, The first is a good solid coat on the entire thing of matte sealer. Then I hold it by the base and spray the body with a gloss sealer to give it that sweaty wet gore look.

Here is a picture of this fellow and two others I've completed with this technique being yelled at by one of my Daemon princes (who sadly is not complete).

So anyway, that's it. It's probably a little more than 14 steps, but not much. I have not done these assembly line style yet but they could easily be done in such a manner. You can vary the colors you drybrush over the washes (and even the wash color itself) to get some variety out of your squads.

Thanks for reading

-Brett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-21-12, 05:43 AM

Relise's Flag is: England

Good looking Bearers! Nice tutorial I shall certainly reference it when I come to add some PBs to my Daemon force. Have some Rep.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Hobby > Tutorials > Painting and Airbrushing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode