Developing a more 'mature' gaming system. - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Other Systems For the discussion of non GW games such as Malifaux, Dystopian Wars, Flames of War, AT43 and Secrets of the Third Reich.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-28-08, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Hespithe's Flag is: USA

Guys... you have some truly excellent ideas....

Please take the time to take a good look at the gaming systems you are familiar with, be they role play, table top, or even console, and look for all the bits that make you grin. Write them down and this next weekend we can all get together in live chat and have a grinder.

Purpose for the first grinder... basics of game mechanics. Do we allow block styled units, vehicles, skirmishers, 'flyers', hovercraft, diggers, submersibles, immobile units (great idea, but more of a scenario concept, unless of course every game has dedicated defenders/attackers, which might be a cool idea). Mainly, what do we allow, and what do we definitely NOT want.

Then, we break into teams, lol....

Again... you guys are great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-28-08, 12:25 AM

32BitHero's Flag is: USA

Sounds good to me hesp

(Sic) since 1989
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-28-08, 12:28 AM

pyroanarchist's Flag is: USA

Attack/Defend could be a neat set up... maybe just as a special mission thing though.

If it's futuristic I was thinking more along the lines of dropping the platform in. Have you seen the Imerial Armour (I forget which book) that has IG... I think they are called terantula support platforms. They are automated and deep strike in from a orbiting ship. I was thinking along those lines and it could work for an armoured platform as well. Just depends on the direction we take in the chat.

Blood for the Blood God!

Brass Scorpion Project

post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-28-08, 12:30 AM

loyalist42's Flag is: USA

sounds like we could set up a similar situation to DoW, with immobile but active units air-dropped in and suchlike.

and yeah pyro, they're called tarantulas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navar89
if I hang out with you any more I just might pick up 40K...You, sir, are dangerous.

Holy shit, I've a plog again!
post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-28-08, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

They are definitely an option, but remember that we do not want to borrow from 40K or any other gaming system in particular. We want to generate our own system borrowing only from the gaming hobby as a whole. Anything we use should not point directly to any single gaming system. Let's keep it fresh, and keep ourselves out of any implications of copyright infringement.
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-28-08, 12:48 AM

Not just dropped in, summoned and built? loaded on tractors?

I think it would definetel make it interesting to have some immobile types or semi immobile maybe they can be pulled.

And hesp is right no need to get sued

(Sic) since 1989
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-28-08, 01:38 AM

pyroanarchist's Flag is: USA

I understand that concept completely. No gettin sued. I think the idea is vastly different from tarantula's, but its definately easier to explain new ideas in text if you've got something to reference that is somewhat similar. Without a picture it's hard to describe what you mean without some reference. If thats still too far I'll try really hard to describe everything without using any GW terms. Just let me know.

Also, I like the idea of the more fuedal or savage armies pulling them in with something. Whatever they use we could restrict their move to half and they could drop it off whenever. It would be more like ancient war machines like catapults that way. They could even use a slave team to pull it around if its that kind of race.

I'll keep brainstorming and get back into this discussion on Wednesday at the latest.

Blood for the Blood God!

Brass Scorpion Project

Last edited by pyroanarchist; 04-28-08 at 01:41 AM. Reason: additions
post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-28-08, 01:44 AM

I was looking at Hesp post on d10 and d6 systems and what heresy members liked better It makes me agree more with the d10 system. Nice reference for what we were talking about

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ead.php?t=5706

(Sic) since 1989
post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-28-08, 07:00 AM

chrisman 007's Flag is: Christmas Islands

Location: The People's Glorius Republic of the Chrisman Union. Also known as my bedroom.

I'd like the system to be a bit more balanced. I collect another wargame, Robogear (I know, sounds rather childish), which has hit the balance mark right on the head. Games always last for about 4 hours, and they always annihilate each others forces till there's only a infantry squad of 3 men vs 2 men, and it's amazingly exciting. So, if the 40k system was a lot more balanced, we could have a lot more fun, and games would last for ages.

But, the thing is, robogear lacks variety. 40k has variety, but lacks balance. Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
Buy a beartrap. How will it help in retrospect? Use your imagination. I'm sure you can think of something.
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-28-08, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

OK all... in an effort to prevent our Heresy Online from getting tangled and knotted in our messes (i.e. to prevent risk to Heresy Online should we say or do the wrong thing, here) I've put up a quick cheap (free) board for use solely as our project workstation.

Reconnaissance: Genesis is not an open forum, and is not available to the general public. If you wish to contribute, then please PM me and let me know your thoughts. Any who register without first contacting me (meaning I may not know who they are when they register, user-names being so vague and all) will not be permitted to view the forums.

http://z11.invisionfree.com/ReconGen...ex.php?act=idx
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Other Systems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode