Infinity players? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Other Systems For the discussion of non GW games such as Malifaux, Dystopian Wars, Flames of War, AT43 and Secrets of the Third Reich.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-11, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Painter in training

Drannith's Flag is: USA

Default Infinity players?

My buddy just bought 4 starter armies, one for anyone wanting to try it out, one for him, one for myself, and one for another friend. My first game of Infinity went well and I rather liked the game. The rules seem like a lot to remember as units act and react every turn, but I enjoy it. Reminds me of tatical rpgs a bit.

Anyone else play or played Infinity? It seems like a newer game and seems balanced right now though as we build I am sure certain factions probably get broken.

Can re-roll re-rolls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-11, 06:34 AM

Wiccus's Flag is: USA

Infinity is an absolutely brilliant game. I have managed to convert a large number of my local gaming club to this game. It can be a lot to take in at first which is why I suggest using the quick start rules on their website for your first 3 games or so then progressing to 150pts for around 5-10 battles. After that I would increase your battles in 50pt increments until you reach 300pts which is the norm.

The game is so diverse and gives you so many tactical options that it is very nearly impossible to create a "broken" list. Given the lethality of your just run of the mill assault rifle and the potency of automatic reaction orders you can definitely fight and beat a list that seems to be way better than yours. Everything has several counters in this game and I would say it is the most balanced I have played.

If you are the last man standing, you aren't fighting hard enough.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-11, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Painter in training

We are slowly getting more and more people to try it. The only thing, as you said, is it is a LOT of rules to remember and go through. It is a nice change of pace though.

Can re-roll re-rolls

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-11, 10:44 AM

chromedog's Flag is: Australia

I play (PanO and Yu-jing) but my dice hate me. I usually lose.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. If winning was important, I'd never have taken up the hobby. Winning is a bonus when and if it ever happens. I primarily play ttg to put my models on the table. I pick models based on how they look (rules are NEVER a consideration*). This has a downside. There are also very few models from any of the factions I like the look of (I can honestly say that every range has models I do not like. They also have at least one model I do (combine. They have 1 model I like, and it's a REM).

I've had some good moments in games (I need 2s to hit, he needs 15s. He rolls a 12, I crit) however, when it comes to ARO, my guys can't hit the side of a barn. PanO are supposed to be the best shots in the game (maybe their elites are, but the little order monkeys are crap at it).

I need new dice. The ones I use used to be my rpg dice - but I never used the d20s, they were for that *spits* D&D *spits* game (alongside the d4, d8, and d12 - d10s were used for several other rpgs I played - and liked - and so were the d6). I think my hate for that game was absorbed by the dice and concentrated - so the dice hate me back.

My tactics also suck. 7 years in the army should have taught me better, but as I spent 4 of them in a rear-echelon support role (Qstores) I don't know where I would have learned them.

*Except for those units with the "Religious" rule. I will NEVER field one. I despise ALL religions and their trappings, which rules out certain "key" or "auto includes" for PanO. It's a deeply ingrained bias and probably has a trigger event in my childhood (though not connected with a priest).

So, with my rather limited selection choices, why do I bother playing?

I grow tired of 40k (25 years and counting), Warmachine and Malifaux both have a cards and minis thing (is it a miniatures game or a card game?) that I don't like and Tomorrow's War is not yet out in book form (I do not lug my laptop to club meets, and I will not get an e-reader as I prefer to read a book than a pdf).
I don't DO fantasy games, and I gave up on "historicals" (including WW2) 30 years ago. SF is my genre of choice. There are precious few games that grabbed me the way the infinity game did (about as much as 40k did in the beginning).

So I play. Until I get bored of it, or get better. I have a high boredom threshold though. :D

Hey! Where'd ... Everybody ... go?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-11, 06:59 PM

Luisjoey's Flag is: Venezuela

I do have PanO

Excellent game with few miniatures, i do like the balance even seem so random the resolution system with d20! But the exciting action is always present!

take a peek on it if you can!

Visit http://calabozocriollo.foros.ws Venezuela Gaming Forum

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-11, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Painter in training

I just got in my PanO starter set and must say the minis are pretty sweet looking. A bit...thin...but other than that they are great looking and I can't wait to get them painted up and on the field.

Can re-roll re-rolls
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-11, 06:57 PM

Hey Guys
Just got my second starter set of Infinity for a really great price from www.warbunka.com

They have free shipping to the UK as well at the moment!!

I was wondering does anyone else here play Infinity? If so has any one got suggestions for Terrain? As Infinity is a very tactical game relying on Terrain.
For anyone who has not heard of this game then check it out here
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-11, 08:16 AM

You need what would be considered a "choked" table (for 40k) of terrain. Around 3x the density (75% or so) with a mix of linear cover (half model height or so), full LOS-blocking and some quite tall LOS blocking stuff, too.

I generally use what would amount to 3 tables of my multistorey "industrial" 40k terrain on an infinity table. With a bit of scatter terrain as well. Shipping containers, rubbish skips and dumpsters, vending machines, etc. All of these are card, and templates can be found on the nets for them.

If you can draw LOS from one corner to the other, you don't have the terrain right.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-11, 07:46 AM

http://miniaturescenery.com/Category...Code=CAT_BGND\
Here is a great terrain urban environment with an Infinity style background
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-11, 10:40 AM

Yep. Throw in some Platformer Chemical plant bits and you have a very Tattooine/Haqqislam themed table.

(I have a dozen of these buildings. I use them for both 40k and Infinity (and my 40k SM army is a 501st themed one, so 'tattooine' is an appropriate 'desert' themed table name).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Other Systems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode