new to flames of war - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Other Systems For the discussion of non GW games such as Malifaux, Dystopian Wars, Flames of War, AT43 and Secrets of the Third Reich.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-11, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Default new to flames of war

ok me and a friend have just started flames of war. im going late brittish and he is going late germans. so far i have 5 cromwells, 2 m10's, 1 challanger and a box of riflemen.
i was wondering, if i wanted to play mid or early, how much of the models i have now could i use??
we arent going to be strict wysiwyg but i would like the models to look close if replacement of models is needed.

my only idea is to use markings and give the opponent a list of what everything is and the markings it has (essentially the key or legend on a map) this would be to dea, with the proxy tanks.
would this be allright? if not what can i do?

go gary and zalas

Last edited by ghazghkull-killyork; 01-06-11 at 06:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-11, 10:16 PM

KjellThorngaard's Flag is: USA

Location: In the basement, surrounded by Woodland Scenics packages.

On friendly games it won't be that big of a deal to proxy stuff. But if you start playing in a club or tournies, then it is more of a problem. When I play I want to know what I am shooting at, even if there is a key, it is a pain to try and remember or check every time I want to do something.

As for what models you can use in earlier eras, the M10s are out. Brits didn't get them until Italy IIRC. Cromwells as well. And there really isn't anything the Cromwells resemble. The riflemen should be ok unless they are the late war scuplts. Or 8th Army scuplts. There were fairly distinct unis for the Brits in the war, but I believe the organization didn't change much. The bigger deal is that early and mid they had ant-tank rifle teams, which in Late War gave way to PIATs. You could proxy the models, I think, unless the PIAT teams are on other bases instead of on seperate bases like the Boys AT rifles are.

Not what you really want to hear, I supposed, but the quickly changing unis and vehicles of the war mean that what was around early, wasn't by late. Very little in fact. That is why in FoW people build forces around a specific time and place of a very specific unit more than they do in other games. To much changes organization-wise and equipment-wise, and even paint schemes changed. YMMV
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-11, 10:17 PM

Brother Emund's Flag is: United Kingdom

It looks great, but it's too damn expensive!

"Death occurs when a lethal projectile comes together in time and space with a suitable target, in the absence of appropriate armour or protection”

Check out my 40K 'Epic' about the Hunted verses the Inquisition: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...98#post2184698

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-11, 07:48 PM
DesslokUnfrozen's Flag is: USA

Hey G-K,
Not to be mean, but Cromwells were the worst pick for a generic British tank. The good old Sherman tank can be used for Late War Brits, Mid War Brits, Late War Americans, Mid War Americans, and Soviet Emchas.
When we first started FOW, my buddies and I just used appropriately sized pieces of cardboard with the unit description written on the front. It was great for getting a few test games in before committing to purchasing the miniatures.
As to Emund’s comment, I have to point something out. Yes, compared to Familia Gladiatoria, FOW is expensive. But compared to 40k, FOW is about the same. Finding a place to get cheap 15mm vehicles (like trucks and jeeps) helps a lot. I have had good success with Old Glory Miniatures.
Good luck!

The more novels I read about Space Marines, the more I am convinced that they are simply undersized Ogryn with better armor saves.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-11, 07:53 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

25 pounders are universal from Africa to the end of the War for British. Get some of those towed artillery! And Shermans. As was said above, Shermans are good from Tunisia all the way through.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-11, 01:05 AM

rob12763's Flag is: USA

The riflemen and the M10.Cromwells came out at Normandy.The Challenger even later.In mid war you have shermans,M-10 STUarts,valentines,churchills,Matildas in africa,Riflemen all the time.25 pounders for support.The Cromwells got pasted pretty badly at villers bocage.Rob
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-11, 10:32 PM

captain wood's Flag is: Wales

i have just started americans i have played a few demo games and its pretty good

"i know that my brothers are filled with rage and with the thirst of blood there pain and suffering will end, for soon they will face the mighty warrrgh were my brothers will die for there own hounor for the emperor and for sanguinus." (blood angels (the sanguinus saviours ) second founding chaplain wood 1st death company) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-6dKVNt1C4 great song to listen to if you are building painting or playing.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-11, 05:58 PM

Xtr4M1nty's Flag is: Scotland

To be honest, FoW is even less expensive than alot of GW stuff.

Buh-whaa? I appear to have found my old login.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-11, 09:31 AM

Durzod's Flag is: USA

The big difference between FOW and GW is that Battlefront (the FOW parent company) doesn't demand that you use their minis in official tournaments, They realize that there are perfectly good (and cheaper) 15mm WWII miniatures put out by other companies.
So building a FOW army can be done at a fraction of the cost of a GW army. And they don't re-write the armies every few years just so you have to buy more stuff.

The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle.
The chalice from the palace has the brew that is true.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-11, 07:00 AM

vedeinseree's Flag is: Aaland

Default cna training

Steve, shoot me a PM... _____ cna training ragnarok

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Other Systems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode