How many of you are Flames of War players? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Other Systems For the discussion of non GW games such as Malifaux, Dystopian Wars, Flames of War, AT43 and Secrets of the Third Reich.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-10, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Bleh

Marneus Calgar's Flag is: England

Default How many of you are Flames of War players?

I ask because I recently picked up a Flames of War starter kit, and I was hoping there might be some of you guys that might be able to give me a hand with how to get going.

Basically, the idea is, I am going to go for British 8th Army (largely because my grandad who passed away in August was apart of it during WWII) and I have the Reference book for North Africa, and a couple of Shermans. I am wondering if there is anyone here will help with lists and such? Mainly so I don't have to go to my Local Game store to get help with it

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-10, 05:39 PM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

I would help, but I play soviets, and their army composition is very diff from the other armies.

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-10, 05:49 PM

Blackhiker's Flag is: USA

For the most part I would suggest looking through the old military documents available to find out how the army was outfitted. More specif icily what part of the 8th army was your grandad in?

Since there was the XXX and XIII corps in the eighth army and then there was what division, And I would then suggest building from one of those companies in that division.

If a child asks how Santa lives forever, simply reply he drinks blood.

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poke me in the ribs and cackle, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started to do the same thing to them at funerals.

Last edited by Blackhiker; 12-13-10 at 05:58 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-10, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Bleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhiker View Post
For the most part I would suggest looking through the old military documents available to find out how the army was outfitted. More specif icily what part of the 8th army was your grandad in?

Since there was the XXX and XIII corps in the eighth army and then there was what division, And I would then suggest building from one of those companies in that division.
He was attatched to them through the Royal Engineers, to be frank, I'm not the best historian, so some of the stuff I'm not entirely sure on. I'm thinking of going with Engineers heavy armies (I know it sounds corny, but it's my way of remembering what he has done).

I've noticed the different types of armies you can take in the core North Africa book, but, if I'm honest, it's fairly different to what I'm accustomed to (40k Wise).
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-10, 09:12 PM

From what I have read the only reports of royal engineers was attached to the XXX corps. primarily for fixing bridges. Therefore having some attached to the airborne may not have been to unrealistic, so starting with an airborne company might be the best start. They were also known to work as the pioneers and going ahead of the army to scout out engineering positions

If you want to stick with the north Africa book I would suggest starting with a rifle company box, support sherman platoon, support anti-tank platoon, and a pioneer platoon as the engineers.

If you want to do late war I suggest these:
http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.a...ProductID=3906
http://www.flamesofwar.com/ProductDe...ProductID=3858
http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1752

I myself don't have the North Africa book yet and just focus on the late war so I am sorry that I can't be more help.

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poke me in the ribs and cackle, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started to do the same thing to them at funerals.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-10, 02:05 PM

Arkeoptrix's Flag is: USA

I've seen it around at the shop I go to. It looks pretty interesting. I've thought about getting into it, however I got enough loot flowing into my other hobbies at the moment.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-10, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Bleh

Sorry I haven't replied to this thread!

Since I already have the starter set, and the North Africa book, I think I'll stick with it. But one thing I'm having a slight issue with... Is what I have to pick from the book? I think I've got it, but I need a helping hand

Is it like this:

Choose a division via the book, then choose what you have to have from the black bubble bits then choose whatever extra from the next few pages?

Also, can I use the Shermans from the Starter pack (I think they're Sherman II's?) with the North Africa book?

Cheers.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-10, 01:54 PM

Yes that is basically what you need to do. As for whether or not you can use the sherman, it depends on whether any of the bubbles include an option to use shermans.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-10, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Bleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhiker View Post
Yes that is basically what you need to do. As for whether or not you can use the sherman, it depends on whether any of the bubbles include an option to use shermans.
Thanks for the help

I shall make a list soon, after looking through at which Division/Army I want to take. Also, what would be considered as a "starter" list? Pointswise?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-10, 12:37 AM

Starter wise my armies are about 300-400 points I think, but up to 500 is still decent. A full game really starts around 1000 points. This is true for the games that I have played at least.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Other Systems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode