RotE, and other MTG BS - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Other Systems For the discussion of non GW games such as Malifaux, Dystopian Wars, Flames of War, AT43 and Secrets of the Third Reich.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-10, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Default RotE, and other MTG BS

Well, the time draws near for another set, the finisher of a block no less. Normaly I'd be *meh*. Zendikar hasnt wowed me so far for the most part. I'm somthing of a timmy turtle and the recent trend towards red black and green light and fast (3 mana for deathtouch lifelink and flying? on a 2/3? seriously?) dominating everything outside of the mythic rarities as far as efectiveness has made me a bit down. I've had to resort to verry dirty tricks to contend with vampires and jund (thopter foundry+sword of the meek, great when combined with broostar or tezeret the seeker) and found myself relying more and more on a well timed counterspell to avoid instant death.

Well, I was surfing around and I stumbled on some spoilers for RotE. And I find myself looking at what? Not more jund-death as I have become used to, but nothing less than a set from end to end as far as I can see, Built. For. Timmy.

The pre-release foil for this set is a what now? a 15/15 for 15 with more crack in its text box than you can shake a stick at! And it gets better, sure a timmy mythic is nice, but when you have a 9/9 comen that forces sacrifices? It just makes my heart get nice and big.

Sure, Jace the Skullfucker was a nice gesture towards non-jund, mill the deck? yes please. (I lucked out and got one =D) but when the other guy has two burst lightnings in his hand, or a fireball, or lava axe, or ... it just makes me sad.

But now we have what? A set DESIGNED for timmy turtles who are sick of jund. No colors! NO-FREEKING-COLORS. Everybody gets one! While your hear, take 20! Come and join the prowd timmy ranks!

My verdict: RotE is going to be the best thing to hapen to magic in recent history. We need to tip the speed scale back down a little. Not saying haste/burn doesnt have its place, but when it and vampires is all there is somthing needs to be dome. And so it has.

"A true king is never alone, his will is equal to the will of all of his followers."
-Alexander the Great, kind of
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-10, 12:54 AM

AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH's Flag is: Denmark

I don't get your gripe. Firstly because it doesn't sound like you are playing a lot of T2 (standard for you americans) since you are using the Thoptersword combo, which is mostly an extended thing (where Jund and vampires are nonexistant). I suppose you are a very casual MtG player since I know noone who would ever consider using a Broodstar. And the casual players around here are certainly not playing something as uninspired as Jund.

Hell, it's not like it's that great a deck really. At my last FNM I practically stomped a Jund Deck with my monowhite control deck. And I actually won the FNM with it. (I did not expect that.) Nothing crumps Jund like a prepared sideboard.

And while I must admit that I am more a Johnny than a Timmy I have to agree. The Eldrazi are pretty awesome. Especially the legendary ones.

This is really a set my cube is gonna love. Can't wait for the prereleases

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
So you're a wanker?
Who cares? Anyone that says they don't wank is a lying twat. Wank hard, wank often.

Last edited by AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH; 04-03-10 at 12:58 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-10, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Yknow, I could have gone lighter on the bitching. But I'm, as you say, fairly casual and all the people I play against use jund, vampires, or some home-made mix of black, red, or green. I have troble supressing my jund-hate when I talk about magic. But yeah... lack of proof-read strikes again. Xo

(and I only use broodstar because im already useing the thoper combo, turns him into two mana for double my thopter power)

On to the point that I lost a bit of in my first post... I agree, the legendary eldrazi are awsome, but there are all mythic so I will probably not hold all that many in my hand. The thing I love about what I'm seing is the lower echilon eldrazi (and everything else for that matter) in the comon/uncomon, everything is slow, it builds up (level up anyone?) and maby I'm biased (maby ;) but slow and steady is what the game needed. IMO! (there we go, thats what I was forgeting...)

Again, my first post kindof failed there, sorry about that...

"A true king is never alone, his will is equal to the will of all of his followers."

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-10, 12:42 AM

Haha, no need for apologizing, I hear what you are saying.
I'm also very much looking forward to a slower, more in-depth limited environment. It will be a nice change of pace compared to the blazing speed of Zendikar and WW.

And tbh, if my casual gaming group couldn't come up with something more original than Jund, I would be bitching like hell too. Fortunately for me, they can.

And I'm with you there. Common 8/8's and such will probably make for a really cool set. It's also nice if you are looking for some big ass mofos to finish lategame but don't want to spend a lot of $ to get some of the expensive guys. Because you will basically open 1 in every booster. Not that I need this, but some might like it. (which actually reminds that I have been playing MtG for too long. Maybe I should get a life...?)

I am, however, not that excited about level up. Seems like they are introducing pokemons to the game which is a little stupid. But it's not like I hate Figure of Destiny so it's not that bad.
The problem really just seem to be that I can't picture myself playing with almost 90% of those already spoiled. And I doubt the rest will change that. I really don't like that they can only level up as a sorcery. Especially when it's so costly and time consuming to get them as big as you want. They are cool, but only 1 of them seems worth the effort.

(Oh and for the record, you shouldn't need to come up with an excuse for playing what you like. And I wasn't "dissing" you for using a Broodstar in any way. It is indeed cool with Thoptersword (23/23 flyer for UU anyone?). It's just that I don't think it's necessary. After all, when don't you win when you have 23 flyers and over 30 life?)

Have a nice prerelease mate! If you attend of course.

Quote:
So you're a wanker?
Who cares? Anyone that says they don't wank is a lying twat. Wank hard, wank often.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-10, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Well if you going to bring pokemon into the equation I supose I'll have to hate them on pricipal. but I dont know if it'll be that bad. One thing I like about what I've seen is if you draw like 3 land and a level up card and then dont draw any more land the entire game you are not *as* fucked. And I doubt they will even catch on too much. They might show up a bit in future sets but mechanics like that just dont seem to stick around for the most part.

Also, I started useing broodstar after one of my friends showed everyone an elf (whos name escapes me...) that taps to ping every flyer for 1. Overkill 9 times out of ten(and hey who doesnt love overkill), but you can never be to carefull. (just for the record)

And a good pre-release to you to!

EDIT: oh, and the thing that made me the most exited that I compleatly forgot to mention was that RotE is going to be drafted independently! A format that turns everyone into timmy. Probably a bit selfish of me, but that is my holy grail of magic right there.

Last edited by Col. Schafer; 04-04-10 at 05:39 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-10, 08:13 PM

They will not catch on, I can assure you that. They are specifically made for the slow, mana abundant environment RotE will create. And it is a block ability (or well, RotE isn't really a block at all) so it will so far be limited to this set only. At least until they decide to reintroduce the mechanic a few years from now, when it fits the new blocks setting. Like with Shadow, Echo, Flashback, etc.

And the elf you refer to is a Scattershot Archer. Which, for the record, can't survive a Terror to the face. But who cares? Overkill is the only right kinda kill. That's why you give Chaos Warriors the MoK AND Great Weapons. And then tell them to charge Skaven Slaverats right?

And I'll just think I shut up here before I make a bad, ill-adviced Monty Python joke as a comment to your holy grail of magic 8P

-Edit: Do you by any chance play MWS? I don't do Magic Online because i'm cheap. And limited really should be played "live" if you know what I mean ;)

Quote:
So you're a wanker?

Last edited by AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH; 04-04-10 at 08:16 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Other Systems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode