Classic Battletech - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Other Systems For the discussion of non GW games such as Malifaux, Dystopian Wars, Flames of War, AT43 and Secrets of the Third Reich.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-08, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Hespithe's Flag is: USA

Default Classic Battletech

Oh Yeah! This is a game I got into right before I started Warhammer Fantasy (and way way before I started 40K). Necromunda and Battletech were my first tabletop miniatures games and quickly forced such nonsense as Magic: The Gathering from my mind. As it turns out, FASA no longer controls the copyright, but rather Wizkids and Wizards of the Coast do, though they have split into the 'Battletech' and 'Mechwarrior' divisions. Wizkids now owns the tabletop game and has the game company 'Catalyst Game Labs' running the show. Here is the link...

http://catalystgamelabs.com/classicbattletech/

I imagine that I will be diving into this pretty deeply, along with 6 or so of the locals. Are there any fans here? I'd love to hear your impressions and plans for the new 'Classic Battletech'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-08, 07:38 PM
Slave to Heresy!
Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

I havent played it for years Hespithe.

I actually got into this game online with http://sourceforge.net/projects/megamek/

It was fun for a few months but trying to learn the rules online against the experts was really difficult. I don't think I ever won a game...

I'll definately be keeping an eye out for the new version.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-11-08, 09:20 AM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

Classic Battletech was actually the first game that I ever played (in the gamer sense, at least). I'll always have a soft spot for it, and I really dig the new stuff that they've been bringing out lately. The Introductory Starter Box they came out with about a year ago now is particularly good-- for your $45 USD you get all the iconic Inner Sphere 'mechs, some nice background pamphlets that let you know what's been going on since 3065 when FASA left off, and decent quick-start rules. It also comes with a couple maps, although I've always prefered to play 2''=1 Hex and just use regular terrain and miniatures.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-11-08, 11:24 AM

Elchimpster's Flag is: USA

I've played CBT since FASA owned it. Fanpro used to have the license and now they have become Catalyst Labs. I know all the Catalyst guys as I used to do illustration and convention support for the Shadowrun side of things as well as doing some art for the CBT side last year at GenCon. Ironically Jordan Weisman is Wizkids, and Randall Bills is Catalyst...both are former FASA guys and writers for the CBT world.

I still love my CBT!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-13-08, 07:30 AM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

I played Battletech before I ever heard of Warhammer. My dad had a kickass board set he made himself with 3-d terrain and the like. It was a lot of fun, and I was good enough at it to play with the grown ups, which at the time was awesome.

By the way, saying 'I love CBT' can get some interesting reactions on a different kind of internet forum...wear a cup ;-)

Battletech is a blast though. Imagine a Warhammer sized board dedicated to a handful of giant robots hunting each other down and blowing the everloving shit out of one another.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-08, 11:01 AM

Leaf's Flag is: USA

I ve have not played in 2 years no players around but I have been playing since the early 90s. I have 600 game pieces for the game. I used to commision painting for people. Does anybody have a Favorite mech. What Faction did you play?

I sure loved the Urbanmech it was just so cute. I played as The Free worlds Leagues. Marik Milita all the way.

"It is better to die for the Emperor then to live for yourself"
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-30-08, 07:26 PM

Gen. Confusion's Flag is: USA

Battletech was my first minis game. It was great fun. I still play battletech once and a while. Although not as much as I would like too. I remember in the good ol days when you have to fill out every record sheet by hand. Talk about a pain. Literally. I was very happy when fasa started publishing record sheets that were ready to go.

"All warfare is based on deception." Sun Tzu
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-30-08, 08:12 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

I really enjoy the game, only recently got back into it though with the new starter set, but I've had a couple of games with a victory under my belt, so a bad start.

plus it means I finally get to use my (Unseen) Archer and (unseen) Longbows, YAY

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-08, 02:37 AM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

The new-ish starter box is such an awesome deal... even though there are some pretty terrible mold lines and whatnot on the models... it's awfully hard to argue with 24 of the most classic Inner Sphere 'mechs out there. I'm a Clanner, to boot... *waves the little Ghost Bear flag* and I still picked it up and painted 'em up, in the hope that someone would want to return to the 31st Century. No such luck, however.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-02-08, 12:04 PM

BWLAF93's Flag is: Australia

I always wanted to play, so I printed off the quick start rules when they were available on the site, but noone else ever liked it. I played megamek for a bit, but it was way too hard. By the way, "classic battletech" is actually used to describe the version with paper counters, whereas the model version you are referring to is called "Battletech Miniatures". Just an interesting tidbit. I love the Battletech novels specifically. Does this mean that my Compendium, and my two record sheet books are out of date? I also have citytech. One of the things I didn't enjoy about Battletech was the complexity of the rules. Have they simplified them a bit? You could argue 40k has complex rules, but nowhere near as complex as CBT.

Project logs:
The Black Wolves (SM) - List Written
Ultramarines Chapter (yes, I said chapter) - Test model painted
7th Annihilators (SM) - Nearly finished (no log)

Last edited by BWLAF93; 10-02-08 at 12:08 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Other Systems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode