Axis & Allies Naval Miniatures - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Other Systems For the discussion of non GW games such as Malifaux, Dystopian Wars, Flames of War, AT43 and Secrets of the Third Reich.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-09, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Slave to Heresy!
Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Deschain View Post
I've played it extensively.

I love it.

Of course, it's not perfect.... air attacks always find the enemy, and are then far too easy to drive off, but it's all kinds of fun.

My only gripe is that the miniatures are randomly packaged.

In almost every other respect, it's one of my favorite games to date.

EDIT: One thing to note, your images aren't quite matched with the minis in question.
yeah it was a botched copy and paste job.

the passion you guys are going at each other with is awesome! This game definitely needs exploring. I get a lazy lob on every time I think about battleships and destroyers...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-09, 10:19 PM
Tactless Tactician

Oh, my favorite set of house rules is "Jutland," where Submarines and aircraft aren't permitted. Lets you take some of the niftier cruisers and cheaper battleships through their paces.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-The Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune

The Swordsworn Chapter WAAAAAAGH! GOBSMASH
W: 1 T: 1 L: 6_________________W: 8 T:2 L:6
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-09, 10:41 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
yeah it was a botched copy and paste job.

the passion you guys are going at each other with is awesome! This game definitely needs exploring. I get a lazy lob on every time I think about battleships and destroyers...
it happens when you have a passion for historical accuracy, and some company botches it up, leaving it to use players to correct there mistakes.

but its worth it in the end

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-09, 06:22 AM
Tactless Tactician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Cadente View Post
I think were on a different page here, I'm on about Hoods 4 or more 6's and boom rule, her armour and stats are like all battlecruisers, amazing for taking on cruisers, not BB's, but her special rule makes no sense, sure we all know the Hood had her fatal flaw, but it should only apply from range 4+ and from guns mounted on bismark or bigger, not guns from Scharnhorst
No, we ARE on the same page, you just haven't done the math.

With 4 6's, you've already inflicted enough hits to be just shy of its critical armor rating anyway.

Which means, its weakness... is what killed it historically- a well-placed salvo from heavy guns can blow it to fragments.

And at Range 4, the Scharnhorst isn't going to do that short of some miracle.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-09, 06:31 AM
blahblahblahblah

Quote:
No, we ARE on the same page, you just haven't done the math.

With 4 6's, you've already inflicted enough hits to be just shy of its critical armor rating anyway.
actually her vital is 13, nowhere near shy with only 8
Quote:
Which means, its weakness... is what killed it historically- a well-placed salvo from heavy guns can blow it to fragments.

And at Range 4, the Scharnhorst isn't going to do that short of some miracle.
umm, yeah it is, its called rolling dice, and as well all know dice will do that, heck I've vitalled Bismarks, scharnhorts, Iowas, washingtons, Rodneys and Yamatos with single flights Dauntless Dive bombers on a regular basis

and with 11 dice at range 4 the Scharnhorst has an 88.67 chance of getting 4 6's, thats pretty damn high odds

and in reality a Horst doesn't have the Caliber of gun to do it, and under that range no ship would have the angle to do it either, it should of been a rule left only at range 4+ or to only the Bismark

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-09, 06:52 AM
Tactless Tactician

If you roll four sixes, congratulations, you've hit like a mad bastard. You're also likely running out of dice.

Quote:
and in reality a Horst doesn't have the Caliber of gun to do it, and under that range no ship would have the angle to do it either, it should of been a rule left only at range 4+ or to only the Bismark
You know, I'm not actually gonna argue this point too much, because the gunnery crew on Bismarck was exceptional, and it's a point that is often glossed over by people who should know better.

I still think you exaggerate how often it actually happens, but that may be because when I play Royal Navy, I usually have Rodney as my Battleship of choice.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-09, 07:02 AM
blahblahblahblah

Quote:
If you roll four sixes, congratulations, you've hit like a mad bastard. You're also likely running out of dice.
not with 11 shots your not
Quote:
I usually have Rodney as my Battleship of choice.
who wouldn't, theres no point using Hood, and King George is too much of an embarrassing sculpt to use

although HMS repulse seems like a good ship to replace Hood, similar stats.

Last edited by Stella Cadente; 08-09-09 at 07:05 AM.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-09, 07:19 AM
Tactless Tactician

Honestly, I often leave BBs at home entirely when I'm running a British fleet. The cruisers (both British and Commonwealth) can screen Ark Royal beautifully.

Come to think of it, my Japanese fleet is also cruiser-heavy...

Now, for my Battleship fleet?

Italy. Vittorio Veneto is laughably cheap considering how effective it actually is...

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-09, 01:35 PM
blahblahblahblah

Quote:
Come to think of it, my Japanese fleet is also cruiser-heavy...
as is mine, although you won't see me dead using Myoko, I just use 4 Nachis as counts as, at least there costed properly, and there deadly.
Quote:
Italy. Vittorio Veneto is laughably cheap considering how effective it actually is...
Veneto is one of the best ships in the game for her points I will agree, but its just a shame very few people actually play Italy.

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-09, 08:08 PM
Tactless Tactician

Quote:
as is mine, although you won't see me dead using Myoko, I just use 4 Nachis as counts as, at least there costed properly, and there deadly.
Amen to that.

Quote:
Veneto is one of the best ships in the game for her points I will agree, but its just a shame very few people actually play Italy.
Amusingly enough, I never really had much choice. Italy dominated my first starter and my first four boosters. But I got a good laugh when the Iowa went down under a two-Veneto attack.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Other Systems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode