Game of the Month Mar '09 - Urban War - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Other Systems For the discussion of non GW games such as Malifaux, Dystopian Wars, Flames of War, AT43 and Secrets of the Third Reich.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-09, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Default Game of the Month Mar '09 - Urban War

Foreword
Brief introduction to Urban War
The Game
The Miniatures
Stockists

My Rating

Foreword
You are reading the 'Featured Non-GW System of the Month - March 2009'. This Months chosen system is 'Urban War'. Throughout this Review you will find out a bit about the game play of Urban War, the miniatures of Urban War and stockists will be found here too towards the end of this review (NOTE - I cannot guarantee a Full List).

If you have any questions about this review or the featured system after you've read it, then please feel free to ask away.

Brief Introduction to Urban War

Urban War (Urban War: Strike-Team Actions) is a fast paced Sci-Fi Tabletop Miniature wargame for two or more players to take part in created by the company Urban Mammoth. It enables players to control a small team of soldiers from the option of different factions and compete against other factions in war within the city planet of Iskandria in the Void Universe which now also faces the threat of alien invasion. In Urban war you're able to build your teams to suit your own favorite tactical strategies, it encorporates an experience based system allowing for a unique variety of choices in-game.

The Game

Urban War being a skirmish game the action is focused around individual models. Each individual model acts independently when it comes to making its' turn. A regular warrior can even take out a battle hardened hero in the quick and lethal combat system. Urban War is a quick paced and exciting Miniature Wargame. Battles are all foughtout with small teams generally sizing between four and twelve miniatures, for this reason gathering an army playable in Urban War is easy and won't hurt the pocket

Troops have different levels of experience, the higher the experience the troop has, the tougher and more stable it will be on the field of battle. These highly experienced warriors can with luck defeat the majority of their lesser enemies and this twist to the system allows for many more tactical and strategic battles. The game as previously mentioned is indeed a multiplayer game and any 3+ players battle allows for players to either choose to betray their teammates or to choose to work together to fight off other factions.

During a game turn each player takes it in turns to make one of his or her models do something, play then moving on to the next players turn. This results in a more speedy gameplay and also continues untill all the models in play have done something. This makes the game more exciting because it means that you can be constantly involved in the game right untill the last minute.

Urban War also encorporates a special rule called Shock and surpression. The shock roll represents the temporary debilitating effect of a sudden 'shock' occurrence. For example, close to being hit by enemies incoming fire may cause a shock roll to be enforced upon the victim. As expected, higher experienced troops are less likely to be effected by Shock than their lower down comrades, though it still happens. This gives the game an added realistic touch.

Urban War also includes another special rule called Quick Play Orders which allow for the game to be played quicker. It means that all players models must have their own general course of action within the game and not untill more tensifying moments later on in the battle can specific activities be chosen. Aswell as adding to the tension of the battle throughout, it's also yet another feature that allows for more tactical twists.

You may have heard me mention the different factions that players are able to take control of earlier? Well here is a little more detail on them. Each player may choose to take his small warband of troops from one of the different factions listed below.

The Factions playable are:
  • Junkers
  • Gladiators
  • Triads
  • VASA
  • Viridians
  • Syntha
  • Koralon
Each different faction represents a different group of residents of the city planet of Iskandria ranging from Human cyborgs of the Syntha to the galasctic Law enforcers of VASA (apart from the Koralon who are aliens from outer space coming to invade and interrupt the war already waging).

Urban War miniatures can be used in Metropolis (another game by Urban Mammoth) and likewise.

You can download the rules for Urban War: Strike-Team Action here

The Miniatures
The miniatures produced by Urban Mammoth for the game Urban War are of extremely good quality in my opinion when it comes to quality of the cast and also quality of detail in the sculpt itself. Not only do the models look fantastic when painted on the battlefield but I think they have a unique sci-fi feel to them, I don't know why, I just do

Here are all of the strike-teams available for Urban War. Please note that aswell as Strike Teams there are also other blisters available to purchase that you can use too.

"Triad Strike-Team"

"Gladiator Strike-Team"

"Junker Strike-Team"

"Koralon Strike-Team"

"Syntha Strike-Team"

"VASA Strike-Team"

"Viridian Strike-Team"

Stockists
Here are the stockists I know of so far. I will add to it as I go but I'm not known for knowing many independant retailers so it's only the few I do know that stock Urban War that'll be listed here. If you know of any others feel free to let me know so I can add them to the list.

My Rating

For each System of the Month I will give a rating of what I think the game is like (1 being terrible, 10 being excellent).

My Rating - 8/10 – I am rating Urban War an 8 for the reason that although it's a very good system I personally have seen better. However, it's still a good system that works fine and has a few nice rules added in such as 'Shock' for example which I do really like. And to add to that, the miniatures are flipping awesome
(if anybody doesn't agree with my rating, that's fine. Remember, it's just my rating and my opinion, many people will have different opinions)

See you next time in 'Featured System April 09 - AT-43'
(If you have any pictures of your AT-43 miniatures you'd like to submit into next months review or anything you would like me to include then please PM me the stuff. Don't post them in this thread, this thread is for the Featured System Mar 09 ONLY!)

Thanks for reading!

Regards,
Jake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-09, 11:41 AM

Dafistofmork's Flag is: United Kingdom

that looks realy good- what scale are the minis? i am asuming that citidel paints go on them quite nicly, cos some of those modles will look nice in an iquistors retinue.

humm, true. This is yet again proof the Orks are smarter the Elves.-Micklez
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-09, 12:18 PM