Flames of War, Good Idea? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Other Systems For the discussion of non GW games such as Malifaux, Dystopian Wars, Flames of War, AT43 and Secrets of the Third Reich.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-09, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Rahmiel's Flag is: USA

Default Flames of War, Good Idea?

Some friends and I were looking in to starting this as a side project to our regular 40k and fantasy games. We all like history and WWII so it looked like a good idea, I just don't how the game works. Can someone give me a description as it compares and contrasts to 40k (rules wise) and does every army have its own dedicated book, like a codex, or does the rulebook cover all these things? Another big thing is (the game uses points per unit right) is there a certain points limit until you can play a game or can u play with a small skirmish with just a few tanks and some troops (like a 500 pt 4ok game). I know we want to give it a try, but don't want to pay an arm and a leg right off the bat. We're looking to build up slowly. Any suggestions would be great thanks. Oh and I'm looking in to either U.S. or Russians. My two pals are looking in to British and Germans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-09, 02:09 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

don't bother with it, the models are far too expensive for below average quality, and the rules are basically warhammer 40k, which as we know already just don't work, and they REALLY don't work with WWII at all.

if you want a decent WWII game with easy to access models, use 1/72 kits with the disposable heroes rule set
http://www.ironivangames.com/

unlike FOW it actually works and is balanced, its designed for 28mm and 20mm WWII gaming primarily, but is very VERY easily converted for all sizes.

just don't touch FOW, you'll regret it if you do

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-09, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Huh, really! I thought its likeness to 40k would make it an easy transition. But is it really that bad? For what reasons?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-09, 03:36 PM
blahblahblahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahmiel View Post
Huh, really! I thought its likeness to 40k would make it an easy transition. But is it really that bad? For what reasons?
if your playing a WWII game then its usually for realism, FOW might be able to do that with unit structures, but the problem comes from the rules, they don't reflect warfare very well at all, just like the 40k ruleset doesn't reflect warfare at all, and allot of combinations are just faaaaaaaaaaaaaar too overpowered because the rules allow it, again just like 40k, it all comes down to what you have in an army instead of how you actually use it, which isn't a very good way of doing things....again just like 40k.

go with disposable heroes, it will cost you allot less to get a decent force built up, and you'll find it allot more stimulating to play, especially since there is literally no such thing as cheese, so it all comes down to a player and the way he uses his terrain and his units

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-09, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks. But before I do decide on anything I'd like to get an opinion from someone who does enjoy playing so that I can see why they like.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-09, 06:52 PM

Amra_the_lion's Flag is: USA

I disagreee with Stella. I love flames of war. The tanks are designed by one of the best WWII sculpters in the biz. My area has a huge following of flames of war. I have however never played any of the other games about WWII so cant give a good comparison.

"And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air;
And there came a great voice
Out the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying: It is done."
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-09, 07:42 PM

I must say I'm in the same position as amra. I really like flames of war and the models used for it, I like the gameplay but have yet to play a different WW2 system so cannot compare fairly though I will be checking out disposable heroes in the not too distant future.

To get to know a bit more about flames of war feel free to check out the 'Featured system Dec 08' featured in this forum which is focussed on Flames of War.

Regards,
Jake.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-09, 08:25 PM

Whizzwang's Flag is: United Kingdom

I disagree with Stella too. FoW is a spectaculalrly good game. The models are in fact superbly well sculpted and the rules are very nice to get to grips with.

Disposable heroes on the other hand is absolute junk.

The Infernal Council of the Lord of Nine Tzeentch C:SM Project Log
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-09, 08:41 PM
blahblahblahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzwang View Post
Disposable heroes on the other hand is absolute junk.
have you actually played it, or are you just saying it?, if so what was wrong with there perfection?, because allot of people I know who claim to hate it have either never played it, or talk about a totally different game.

Last edited by Stella Cadente; 02-17-09 at 09:00 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-09, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks all, I'm liking the new positive outlook here.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Other Systems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode