Anybody tried Frostgrave? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Other Systems For the discussion of non GW games such as Malifaux, Dystopian Wars, Flames of War, AT43 and Secrets of the Third Reich.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-16, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

SonofVulkan's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Anybody tried Frostgrave?

frostgrave.jpg

Just wondering if anybody has tried Frostgrave?

I've only recently noticed that the game exists, but it seems to tick all the boxes for what I am looking for in a game. All the reviews I have read for it seem to be very positive.

Anyways, I've ordered a copy of the rule book and it will hopefully turn up early next week.

So, anybody played or heard much about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-16, 07:41 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

I have the rule book, treasure tokens,and dice, and have assembled a warband using GW beastmen, but haven't managed to get a game in so far. Hoping to get one in next Thursday, will let you know how it goes. In the meantime if you have any questions about the rulebook let me know.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-16, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

SonofVulkan's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
In the meantime if you have any questions about the rulebook let me know.
Excellent, thank you. Just wondering what I need to start playing?

Bunch of models. (Archers/fighters/wizards. I'm sure I could rustle something up.)
Scenery. (Got some ruined building and rocks. I'll sort them out.)
D20's. (Not 100% sure I have one of these. I'll check my dice bucket later, else its a trip to the local games store. How many would I need?)

Anything else that I need? I guess some treasure tokens would be useful.
Thank you in advance for any advice.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-16, 06:48 AM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

You get your wizard for free, and then have 500pts to spend on your warband. Members can cost anything from 10 to 200pts, with archetypes like thug, thief, archer, treasure hunter, knight and paladin. There is an upper limit of only 10 models per warband however.

They recommend playing on a 3x3 board, with lots of terrain. It's set in a ruined city, so they also recommend having terrain with different levels.

You're only rolling one dice at a time by all accounts, so two d20 should do fine.

You need 6 treasure tokens, three for each player. Whoever has captured the most at the end of the game wins.

Last edited by Khorne's Fist; 01-15-16 at 06:50 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-16, 11:32 PM

Mdauben's Flag is: USA

I've just gotten started on Frostgrave but I love it so far. It's a fun game that gives you an excuse to paint up lots if different miniatures. It seems to have a good fan base, too.

There has already been one supplement (Thaw of the Liche Lord) published with new monsters, Soldiers and scenarios and IIRC there are two more supplements due out this year.

From a Galaxy far, far away...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-16, 08:36 PM

Einherjar667's Flag is: USA

How does one go abouts building an army for this? I assume it's skirmish, cause, ya know, it's in a city haha. Square bases? etc. I'm curious !
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-16, 09:46 PM

The plastic soldiers and cultists come with 25mm round bases, but there's really no rules about it. Most people seem to use round bases, but I know some people who used square bases. I don't think it really matters.

As far as making up a war band, the consist if a wizard, his apprentice, and up to eight followers. There are multiple classes of followers, including thugs, theives, archers and several kind of warriors. You are only limited by your gold. To start you only have enough to buy the cheaper followers, but as you play the game and accumulate gold and other treasure, you can add more expensive choices. The low level followed are pretty expendable and you will probably have to replace them fairly often as the are killed off.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-16, 09:51 PM

Einherjar667's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdauben View Post
The plastic soldiers and cultists come with 25mm round bases, but there's really no rules about it. Most people seem to use round bases, but I know some people who used square bases. I don't think it really matters.

As far as making up a war band, the consist if a wizard, his apprentice, and up to eight followers. There are multiple classes of followers, including thugs, theives, archers and several kind of warriors. You are only limited by your gold. To start you only have enough to buy the cheaper followers, but as you play the game and accumulate gold and other treasure, you can add more expensive choices. The low level followed are pretty expendable and you will probably have to replace them fairly often as the are killed off.

'
Ooooh so they don't all start on the table at once? Interesting. The book is cheap, I will be looking into this for sure.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-16, 03:35 AM

Oh, no. Your war band remains the same for the course of each game. It's designed to work in a sort of campaign fashion, where each game you win gold and magic items that allow you to upgrade your soldiers between games. Your wizard and apprentice also level up between games by earning experience points sort of like an RPG.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Other Systems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode