Footsteps towards creating my own miniatures game - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Other Systems For the discussion of non GW games such as Malifaux, Dystopian Wars, Flames of War, AT43 and Secrets of the Third Reich.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-15, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Minigiant's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Footsteps towards creating my own miniatures game

As the title suggests, this thread is to document my first footsteps to creating my own miniatures game. This is something i have wanted to do for some time now but only recently have i had the inspiration. This thread will follow my footsteps as i collate artwork, rules and eventually miniatures for my very own Fantasy Ice Hockey game.

This thread is also for other forum members to get involved, as i do not possess all the required skill sets needed to create a high quality game.

My intention is to first nail down the rules before progressing onto the artwork and miniatures. I have already started drafting rules out including turn sequence, movement etc

First i wanted to get a solid Introduction to give myself the best possible basis needed to progress

Introduction

Welcome to the Arctic Cup, a fantasy game of Ice Hockey where week on week creatures gather from all races to watch this premier sports entertainment. As their favourite teams and players fight it out to be crowned Ice Lords and hold the Arctic Cup trophy come the end of the season.

Arctic Cup is a fast paced and brutal sport between two teams of heavily padded and often insane players. Players skate, pass, shoot and sometimes work together to reach the ten goals needed to win the match. There are three goals in Arctic Cup and teams are never allowed to score in the same goal consecutively. It may sound easy but the opposition team will be working hard to prevent any of that from happening by any means; checking, dispossessing and fouling.

This is what i will be working my way through over the next few months and through the summer

Components
Setting up the Game
The Sequence of play
Movement
Substitutes
Checking Zones
Checks
Knock downs and Injuries
Passing the Puck
Shooting the Puck
Winning the Match

Extra Rules:
Creating an Arctic Cup team
Puck Drop
Assisting a Check
Interceptions
Fouling
Skills
- Skill descriptions

Arctic Cup League Play
The Teams

So over the next week or so i plan to get some sort of draft components made up, most likely out of paper (got to start somewhere)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-15, 01:12 AM

Loki1416's Flag is: USA

Because I'm a massive hockey fan, I fully support this. Will this be a game with mini's? I'm picturing a bloodbowl type of game (but on ice). I'd buy it just for hockey minis if they were good sculpts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-15, 01:20 AM

Too complicated.

Lol. Very cool, unfortunately as great as sharing is you should it a little bit.

Good luck.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-15, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrknify View Post
Too complicated.

Lol. Very cool, unfortunately as great as sharing is you should it a little bit.

Good luck.
Part of the reason i am sharing. I have posted this on three sites all have time stamped threads which can give me a case in any intellectual property rights
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-15, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki1416 View Post
Because I'm a massive hockey fan, I fully support this. Will this be a game with mini's? I'm picturing a bloodbowl type of game (but on ice). I'd buy it just for hockey minis if they were good sculpts.
Eventually. Want to nail down the the rules before the artwork, then there will be models
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-15, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

So this morning i have been working on the key component, the rink. I have analysed other sport board games as well as a few other board games to try and fully understand the importance of having space but not too much space. Obviously with playtesting this may change but its a good start

Now to print it off
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-15, 01:35 PM

Things to think about, how many players on the ice, in the team. Coaches, assistant coaches, sponsorship, etc..
I too have a game in the works, its more of a skirmish game though.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-15, 01:38 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

couple of questions

why three goals?

if team can not score in the same goal consecutively, does that mean they can score in any of the three to start with? if so that means the team without the "puck" has to defend at least 2 goals, does that mean they will need two goalies? will you have goalies?

how many teams?

why a circle pitch? why not a triangle or a hexagon, a circle will have dead space as it makes sense to use the shortest distance between goals or the center.

hockey is crazy fast and very fluid how will you or will include that as an element?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-15, 01:59 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
why three goals?
What, you never played three team hockey before?

Seriously though everything made a little bit of sense right up until that circle happened. Maybe I'm a bit too Canadian for my own good, but that makes my head spin.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-15, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrknify View Post
Things to think about, how many players on the ice, in the team. Coaches, assistant coaches, sponsorship, etc..
I too have a game in the works, its more of a skirmish game though.
Already under consideration, once i have a bit more substance to my work i am sure it will become apparant. If you feel like bouncing some ideas off one another, dont hesitate to PM me

Quote:
couple of questions

why three goals?

if team can not score in the same goal consecutively, does that mean they can score in any of the three to start with? if so that means the team without the "puck" has to defend at least 2 goals, does that mean they will need two goalies? will you have goalies?
Three goals is intended to eliminate the need for goalies. As for being able to score in any of the three, that is something that i will be playtesting. I have a few ideas on that matter

Quote:
how many teams?

why a circle pitch? why not a triangle or a hexagon, a circle will have dead space as it makes sense to use the shortest distance between goals or the center.

hockey is crazy fast and very fluid how will you or will include that as an element?
How many teams on the Ice? 2
How many teams am i going to create? I am thinking 5

I am planning what i think to be a unique activation and movement mechanic that is intended to encourage players to maximise the space allotted.

As for the speed, i have/still am contemplating the use of a game clock, X amount of minutes per move or something like that. 10 goals is an arbitrary target that can be adjusted depending on how the game goes until then

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Other Systems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode