Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Sick of 40k - Want to try something new

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Kreuger 
#1 ·
Hey Forums,

So, I've been a 40k player for the last 10yrs or so, and the unbalanced nature of the codex's, and price gouging for new models have started to get to me.

I know there are many of other game systems out there, which are balanced, and relatively less expensive then 40k is.

What I'm asking, is for someone to give me a quick breakdown of the different games out there, so I can make an informed decision about which new system I will look into.

I'm hopefully looking for a game that's easy and fun to play, has several options for different army types, inexpensive to start, and has some modeling/painting aspect as well.

I know this is a lot to ask, so I thank anyone for any insight they can provide :victory:

#2 · (Edited)
Fantasy is great because it's possible to win with any army (I am currently undefeated with wood elves [and i've played about a dozen games, the two in my signature is just this year], who are said to be the worst army) and for a few other reasons, but it's just as expensive as 40k so...

Mantic's deadzone is relatively inexpensive and tons of fun to play, I would check that out. It's a small skirmish game so it's not on the same scale, but it's well made and tactically difficult.
*EDIT* (for more details)
In USD, the starter set is just $100. It contains a rulebook, two full armies, dice, faction decks (like a codex but in card form, and you use it directly in game), and various counters that are used in game. The terrain is beautiful, good for any sci-fi skirmish game but made just for deadzone. The models are in general much cheaper than GW, with 11-12 fantastic models of varied shapes and sizes for $35 (link). There are some other things that you will need, such as the mat, perhaps more dice, and preferably a rulebook.
How it works: It is a 2' x 2' mat (for basic games) split into tiles. The game is tile based (so you move a certain number per action, shoot a certain number per action etc.), but you move your models within your tile so positioning is important. Cover is simplified so if your tile has cover, so you do you, and you get bonuses for being in the open rather than penalties for being in a window etc. The game is action based, so you get x amount of actions (it varies based on size of the game etc.) per turn with a certain amount of models, and then the faction deck cards I mentioned earlier can give you extra actions. When you run out the game ends, though, so be careful about using them too fast.
I think that covers it pretty well, just check out battle reports etc to get a better idea of the game.

I haven't played others, just those two and 40k so...

#3 ·
I'm currently on a Bolt Action buzz. It's a WWII 28mm wargame that some claim is very similar to 5th Ed 40k (no surprise as it's written by Allessio Cavatore and Rick Priestly) but with a few very interesting twists. For each unit in your force you get an order dice. This means that instead of the traditional "you go-I go" system, all the order dice are placed in a bag and drawn one at a time. If my dice is drawn, I get to activate a unit, and vice versa. This adds a more tactical dimension to the game.

There is also a pin mechanic. Any unit that takes a hit in shooting receives a pin marker. Bear in mind it doesn't need to inflict a casualty, just hit the unit. This means that while a unit has a pin marker(s), it must take a leadership test to do anything. There is also a -1 to hit for each pin on the unit. The game flows very fast, and can swing either way right until the very end because of the order dice. If you get a good run of the dice you can start rolling up your enemies units even when it looks like all is lost. I must say I'm enjoying this system more than any other I've played in 25 years of wargaming.

Another good thing, you can get an entire viable 1000pt force for less than £100, direct from Warlord Games.

I've recently made my first purchases in Malifaux as well. I can't say anything about the game as I haven't even received my order yet. Instead of dice it uses a card system, and it looks like 10 minis can make a good little gang for you. Their new 2nd Ed range are also some of the nicest plastic minis I've ever seen, bar none.

#4 ·
For each unit in your force you get an order dice. This means that instead of the traditional "you go-I go" system, all the order dice are placed in a bag and drawn one at a time. If my dice is drawn, I get to activate a unit, and vice versa. This adds a more tactical dimension to the game.

There is also a pin mechanic. Any unit that takes a hit in shooting receives a pin marker. Bear in mind it doesn't need to inflict a casualty, just hit the unit. This means that while a unit has a pin marker(s), it must take a leadership test to do anything. There is also a -1 to hit for each pin on the unit. The game flows very fast, and can swing either way right until the very end because of the order dice.

I can't hear you.....! *fingers in ears*

Must. Not. Buy. More. Stuff....

#5 ·
While I got into miniwargaming only in July of 2013 I have been video gaming for ~ 10 years. It is the fluff of 40k that finally got me to pick up the table top, however the rule system is starting to piss me off even though I played for such a short time compared to a lot of people, not just how obviously unbalanced the armies are but the core rule system is very illogical too much too often.
So instead of switching to a different game completely I have been thinking of adapting one to 40k or just playing the game with my lovely 40k models and fluff .
Otherwise if you are completely sick of 40k I have been interested in
1. Malifaux because of low model count and cool rules.
2. WarmaHorde coz it seems interesting

3. Flames of War / Bolt Action just because they have interesting rules and the game seems quite balanced, plus WW II era gaming is cool imho.

#6 ·
If you've already got 40K models you could try the HOR kill teams - http://heralds-of-ruin.blogspot.co.uk/p/kill-team-rules.html

It's not a big stretch from 40k, but the additions to the rules are really fun and cinematic, and with the campaign rules it's much more rpg based than standard 40k.

Games only take about 30-40 minutes, and you only need 10-15 models for a team.

#7 ·
Anything by Spartan Games mate - Firestorm Armada is an excellent space combat game, and Firestorm Invasion is soon to be released - 10mm ground based combat set in the Firestorm Universe - you will be able to link games in space and on the ground - great stuff!
Dystopian Wars and Uncharted Seas are also very good although Uncharted is now direct order only.

#10 ·
Malifaux is a good game. You use a deck of cards instead of dice and unlike 40k where one unlucky dice roll can sometimes cost you the game, you have much more control over bad flips, because you can "cheat fate" on pivotal actions (damage flips, defense etc).
The basic mechanics are pretty easy to learn, but it has a lot of depth with schemes and strategies which give you dozens of ways to win the game. As such, it's rarely about who has the most models left at the end of the game, and it's much more imaginative than simply "pile on the objectives.".
As for balance, definitely more balanced than 40k, but not perfect (though beta testing is ongoing I think for 2nd edition so many problems get ironed out by feedback through the onlien community). Still, it makes tournament play fun as powerlists don't really exist and thus it tends to attract less douchebags.
Also, cheap to collect: Fatedeck, upgrade cards and a 5-man faction will cost you maybe 40 quid. Add 27 quid if you want the rulebook, or download for free online.

Infinity I am only just getting into but from what I hear from everyone at FLGS it's one of the most balanced games out there. The rules are very different to 40k, all about reacting and countering to your opponents movement. A but like the X-Com video game if you have played that.
Prices are similar to malifaux. Does sometimes seem to attract elitist holier-than-thou crowds around here, but hey, this is anecdotal and nothing really to do with the actual game itself...

I wouldn't say either is better than 40k, just different. Malifaux and Infinity is for when I want more focus on the gaming side, while I prefer 40k for homebrewing, modelling, painting and the fluff which I feel is still the best by a billion miles.

#11 ·
I can whole heartedly suggest Malifaux.
Great skirmish game, lovely plastics now coming through (although there are a still metal versions of the old crews if thats what you prefer)
Low model count, very interesting, unique and engaging game mechanic.
No dice, uses a fate deck (standard poker including the jokers)
The company also makes full use of the community conducting widespread beta testing and very reasonable prices.
All in all my favourite game.

#12 ·
I have heard good things about the new version of Warzone . I haven't purchased it yet, but I played all the previous versions and they were a lot of fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.