Curious which mech list is better, or both suck? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-11, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Default Curious which mech list is better, or both suck?

1500 points mech lists. Wonder which one is better in general. Or what are the flaws of each. New to the game, so any advice is appreciated.

11 Boyz - Choppa, Slugga
1 Nob - PK, Bosspole, Slugga
Trukk - Big Shoota, Reinforced Ram

11 Boyz - Choppa, Slugga
1 Nob - PK, Bosspole, Slugga

11 Boyz - Choppa, Slugga
Big Mek w/KFF - PK, Bosspole, Mek's Tools

11 Boyz - Choppa, Slugga

8 Burnas
Battlewagon - Deff Rolla, big shoota x2

8 Burnas

3 Warbuggies - TL Rokkits

11 Lootas

OR

19 Boyz - Choppa, Slugga
1 Nob - PK, Bosspole

19 Boyz - Choppa, Slugga

19 Boyz - Choppa, Slugga

9 Lootas
9 Lootas
9 Lootas

3 Warbuggies - TL Rokkits
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-11, 04:40 PM

ArchangelPaladin's Flag is: USA

Second List is better, not awesome but better. If you’re working with models you have then this should be enough to get you through most games, but if you’re theorycrafting then I say drop your lootas down to 2 groups of 8 and add more war buggies.

The First list is just plan rubbish. Big Meks work great when you use then to protect a Battle wagon because your typical opponent just won’t have enough high strength weapons to get past both the armor of the BW and the KFF. But using a KFF to protect a trukk is just a waste, there is an overabundance of strength 4 weapons, and even with a KFF protecting those trukks your opponent will still be able to torrent them to death. Also never upgrade a trukks wargear, you must always assume the trukk will die before doing anything useful.

Last edited by ArchangelPaladin; 10-11-11 at 08:52 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-11, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

I don't have battlewagon or trukk models right now. Just footsloggers and walkers, and other stuff. Curious because not sure whether trukks or battlewagons are more useful in a mech list. Knowing a reasonable good mech list will help me decide how many trukks or battlewagons I will need. I was looking at adepticon army lists and it seems the guy with a lot of trukks places 2nd, and one bw and one looted wagon. Not sure how he plays. I placed the KFF in the trukks because I didn't want the battlewagons to be too attractive a target with burnas in them. So KFF mek should always be well protected in battlewagons I guess?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-11, 12:51 PM

Chaos40kAD's Flag is: USA

I usually stick my KFF Mek in a Wagon with either a large pile of boyz (for assaulty lists) or burnas for templatey goodness. And yes, once your opponent finds out that the wagon is full of burnas he's going to shoot at it a lot, which is a double edged sword and will most likely see your trukks to the fray unmolested.

-Brett
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-11, 08:09 PM

ArchangelPaladin's Flag is: USA

So on the topic of mech list, trukks and battlewagons both have their place it’s just a matter of your playstyle. If you just want to know which is more competitive take a wagon list, but if you want to see the two compared then read on.

A full trukk list of 6 bare bones trukks filled with boyz, nob(bp & pk) is fast hitting, but not really hard hitting. Trukks die no matter what you do. You’ll get into cc on turn 2, but expect to be at 1/2 strength. Losing a couple of trukks isn’t that big deal though so when it does happen just keep going. The smaller squad size means you won’t be fearless for long, and you won’t have enough attack to slaughter a tactical squad in a one round, most will advise you to attack an enemy squad with two trukks at a time. Finally the core of any trukk list will be between 60 & 180 points cheaper than a wagon list allowing you more space for support units.

A couple of notes about trukk list: 1) I have found that using about 6 deffkopters to get in my opponents face turn 1 keeps my trukks alive a lot longer, they are a good distraction and less focused players panic when you shot and assault their transports first turn. 2) I believe that lootas perform best in trukk list because they simply aren’t the biggest threat on the table, killing your trukks should be your opponent’s top priorty.

Wagon list are considered by most to be the best competitive build we orks have. Three wagons w/ deff rollas and a big shoota (to prevent weapon destroyed = immobilization) filled with boyz, a nob, and big mek w/ KFF is your core. The armor values of the BW combined with the KFF tend to keep the wagons rolling, and while you may get to cc in turn 2, plan for turn 3. The large squad size means you can attack an enemy unit with only one group of wagon boyz, but you do end up with as many PK as a trukk list. Lastly a single wagon is more important than a trukk, losing a wagon is a setback, so a more conservative playstyle is advised.

Here’s a few notes about wagon list: 1) Warbuggies tend to be a good complement to wagons, use the kff covage to keep them safe, and use them to keep the sides of your wagons safe, they are cheaper than deffkopets, and you don’t really need deffkopters anyway because you don’t need to use the scout turbo combo as a distraction. 2)I’m not too sold on this idea but some people use shoota boyz in their wagons instead of of choppa boyz, because wagons are slower you have more time to take advantage of shoota boyz, and deffrollas can sometimes be so overwhelmingly powerful that all you really need to do is mop up a squashed unit with some fire instead of a full on assault 3) Lootas perform ok in a wagon list but they will attract some smaller arms fire in the first turn, because of this I personally don’t think lootas are a must take unit for wagon list. 4)Burnas in wagons are indeed awesome units, but the problem is that they are then competing with you boyz for wagon space, and we just can’t tolerate this.

Last edited by ArchangelPaladin; 10-11-11 at 08:12 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Ork Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode