1500 Orks newbie army -> Battlewagon SMASH - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-05-11, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Default 1500 Orks newbie army -> Battlewagon SMASH

Hello there! I recently started playing with Orks, and I'm trying to make a good list for friendly games and possibly tournaments. Here's what I got for now:

HQ--------
Warboss - Powerklaw, kombi-shoota/skorcha, Boss pole, Cybork, Heavy armor
Mek - KFF, Powerklaw, Cybork

Elite------
Lootas x 5
Lootas x 5
Lootas x 5

Troops--
Slugga Boyz x 18(+1 nob)
- Nob - Shoota, Powerklaw (Warboss goes with these guys).

Slugga Boyz x 18(+1 nob)
- Nob - Shoota, Powerklaw, Bosspole (Mek with these guys).

Shoota Boyz x 22(+1 nob) - 2 Big Shoota
- Nob - Big choppa, Bosspole, Heavy Armor

Slugga Boyz x 11(+1 nob)
- Nob - Powerklaw, Bosspole
- Trukk - Big Shoota, Red Paint, Armor plates, Reinforced ram, Boarding plank (This thing's not going to ram anything...)

Fast------
Deffkopta - TL Rokkits, Buzzsaw

Heavy---
Battlewagon - Big shoota, Deffrolla, red paint, armor plates

Total - 1498 points.

WAAAAAAAAAGH!!!

Last edited by narasumas; 09-06-11 at 04:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-05-11, 05:36 PM

Big Mek LugNutz's Flag is: Canada

Heya narasumas,

Finally a solid list!! HUZZAH!

Good choice on the lootas, I think they make a great anti-elite infantry unit (STR 7, Shots D3). Your the only person I've seen who uses em' properly: ie. Lots of em'!

Good choice on giving your Kanz Kustom Mega Blasta's; their WS 3 may seem obvious but you wouldn't believe how many people over looks this somewhat large detail.

The one thing I would drop are the 'red paint' jobs and the big shootas on each of ur' Battlewagons, at the end of the day its only 1 inch and the shootas won't leave a big enough impact for their points. Instead of those I would definitely take boarding planks, these allow ur' boyz to assault in the same turn they bail out, which is huge value for the points...!

Oh and one last thing, if your hauling ur' boyz up da field in an armor 14 wagon, and assaulting da turn after, why did you take a zoggin Kustom Force Field .
I'm just foolin' around, but if ur' boyz are getting 'stuck in' combat and you can't be shot at, then why take a KFF. No offense (I always rant people about KFF's) but I'm just thinking another 50 points could be put ta' better use, is all. Perhaps, to expand your squads of boyz, or add a trukk for your group of 11 boys, to follow into combat once your battlewagons have reached the enemy... do whatever you think is right though, I'm not sure of your style of play, so please don't make changes "cuz a told ya too"...

Anyways, good luck, now get out de're and stomp some oo'mans!

-LugNutz

Da Mek Shop: In Revision

Space Marine Progress Log: (Unstarted)

Tyranid Bio Lab: In Revision

--------------------------------

Препровождайте, для императора..!
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-05-11, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

I made a few adjustements to the list based on a few tips from my friends.

HQ--------
Warboss - Powerklaw, kombi-shoota/skorcha, Boss pole, Cybork, Heavy armor
Mek - KFF, Powerklaw

Elite------
Lootas x 5
Lootas x 5
Lootas x 5

Troops--
Slugga Boyz x 18(+1 nob)
- Nob - Shoota, Powerklaw (Warboss goes with these guys).

Slugga Boyz x 18(+1 nob)
- Nob - Shoota, Powerklaw, Bosspole (Mek with these guys).

Shoota Boyz x 22(+1 nob) - 2 Big Shoota
- Nob - Big choppa, Boss pole, Heavy armor

Slugga Boyz x 11(+1 nob)
- Nob - Powerklaw, Bosspole
- Trukk - Big Shoota, Red Paint, Armor plates, Reinforced ram, Boarding plank (This thing's not going to ram anything...)

Fast------

Heavy---

Total - 1498 points.

The big shootas are there to avoid getting immobilized turn one... for 5 points, I think it's worth it, really.

Last edited by narasumas; 09-06-11 at 04:57 PM.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-05-11, 10:03 PM

It's worth 5 points to take STR 5 BS 2 Assault 3 pot shots at the enemy...? Thats a new one... By eliminating the Shootas a Red Paint Jobs you can afford to include boarding planks. Assaulting the same turn they're driven into battle is definitely worth 10 points, thats one turn less and 10-15 enemies less...

Oh, and you may want to strip the buzz saws off the deffkoptas... thats only STR 6 hits... I suppose they have hit & run but still, they're shock troops in all respects, and shouldn't be going after anything less than the biggest scariest Tanks, Monsters, Leaders etc. wif' dos' fancy (Twin-Linked!) rokkit-launchas. And if you could squeeze in one more deffkopta to your list, then stack all three of em' into one squad, for firepower.

Maybe its just cause I'm stubborn, but I really think you may want to reconsider the KFF. for 45 points you could buy another Deffkopta w/ TL rokkit-launchas.

(I almost think the last list was a little better (minus the shoota boyz)

cheers,

-LugNutz

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-05-11, 11:54 PM

Pretty solid list, narasumas.

I think Lugnutz is a little off on his advice.

And yes, Lugnutz is stubborn, and wrong. The KFF is by far one of the most valuable items in your list. With all the lascannons & such out there, your not going to get across the board without your KFF. Keep your wagons & trukks within 6" of the wagon with the KFF for 4+ cover save? Yes, please. Let's face it, the enemy won't be coming out to greet you, usually.

I may be mistaken, but I believe buzzsaws are STR 7 on assault. Decent chances against rear armor if you get there. But for the price of those 2 saws, you could have an additional kopta. Don't squad them, either. Lose one to shooting & your taking a leadership at Ld7. Almost 50/50 they'll run & you lose all that valuable armor piercing ability. Keep 'e as singles. If you had other Fast units demanding slots, maybe double up...

Boarding planks are ok, but I rarely make great use of 'em. Usually, if the rolla doesn't complete the task, I just disembark and assault it. Your open topped, so you can still assault same turn.

I would suggest shoota boyz for the 27 on foot. Assault 2 at a range of 18" is over 50 shots. Your bound to hit with some.

I'd move your big shoota to the foot squad, where you can fire it each round. If things go as planned, you'll be moving the trukk too far each turn to make good use of a big shoota with them.

Maybe try it a few times, but I really think you'll want a klaw instead of Big choppa for those trukk boyz. With the fewer attacks, the powered weapon is more likely to get those kills (invuln saves) vs the BC (which allow armor saves). With a larger unit, sometimes you can get away without a klaw. Drop the squig on the warboss (kinda expensive for 1 extra attack, IMHO) & you only need to find 5 pts (maybe RPJ on the trukk which is already fast) or armor plates somewhere to gain that klaw.

Last edited by groundhogg; 09-06-11 at 12:12 AM.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-06-11, 12:32 AM

Kitsunex's Flag is: USA

Buzz Saws act like Power Klaws and are easily worth the points. combined with the boosted toughness they are resilient in assault. i use them as fast attack assault units and tank killers. unleash with the rokkits as you charge in and then assault and with a strength of 10 on the initial attack they will tear through tanks. i tend to put big bombs on one squad and use them as kamikaze's. turbo boost first turn and drop the big bombs on whatever infantry is closest. I disagree about running them as singles, as i haven't had issues with them breaking and running. In general my koptas are one of my most useful units next to my squads of Nobs.

Currently Running:ORKS! The Ringmasta Skullsmasha is bringin the WAUGHHHH!

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-06-11, 03:34 AM

Keep the big shootas on the battlewagons. If you don't have them and get a weapon destroyed, you battlewago is immoblilized!! Deffrollas are equipment and cannot be destroyed!!! Always keep at least 1 big shoota on your battlewagons!!
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-06-11, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Hmmm, shoota boys... I didn't paint them, so maybe i can "unglue" their arms and transform them into shoota boys. I read great things about shoota boys on foot... Lots of shots, yeah, that is gonna kill at least a marine per turn, damn.
Updating that part!
And yeah, maybe I can round up the big squad of boyz and eliminating the squig, and give the trukk a powerklaw... Hmmm... Yeah.
Updating!
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-06-11, 05:02 PM

Better rer-read your info, Kitsunex.

Buzzsaws act like power klaws, yes. They are a power weapon that doubles your STR.

By the time you double the kopta's STR & Furous charge, you get a STR 7 attack.

Only a Kan/Dread, Warboss & Ghaz gets STR 10 assaults. Even a Nob is STR 9 on assault.

And you must be real lucky on your leadership tests...... you are taking leadership tests when you lose one of those koptas to shooting.... right?

Agree completely, grumpy.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-11, 03:37 AM

So sorry I just assumed you would take the Battle Wagon all the way to the front line... If your just grudging yer' way to the enemy on foot, I would definitely take a KFF... Oh, and thats 5+ cover save, And only 6 inches of cover... I just didn't see it necessary to have a KFF in a Battle Wagon, who'll be in combat next turn, and out of the line of fire... At least thats how I play... Because an Armor 14 vehicle can handle itself for at least 1 turn, and thats all you need to bust through a Tau gun line, and assaulting and at most the next turn. Well there's my little theory on Wagon Warfare, still sound stubborn...?

(But if your enemy is spread out along his side of the field, how will you benefit from that Cover Save, you Wagons will all be moving out in different directions. See, I may be stubborn, but my record wif' orks doesn't completely suggest that my advice is bad, it all depends on the way its applied...)

Oh and I suppose it would be STR 7 for those Deffkopta if they took advantage of their 'Hit & Run' and Furious Charge each turn...

Oh but I do take fault for my Big Shoot mistake. So sorry, I had no idea a vehicle would instead take an Immobilized result if there are no more working guns on a Vehicle, you've even got me going over my lists again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Ork Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode