Gitchucka's Waaaaagh! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-11, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

BloodAngelZeros's Flag is: USA

Default Gitchucka's Waaaaagh!

So far this is what I have:
2 big meks (w/ KFF and cybork bodies)
10 Burna boyz boyz (w/ 2 of them as meks w/ kustom mega blastas)
34 ork boyz (w/ 2 as nobs w/ Big slugga, 3 w/ big shootas)
28 Gretchin
2 Runtherds with grot prods
3 Deffkoptas with twin-linked rokkit launchas
6 killa kans (1 w/ grotzooka, 2 w/ skorchas, 2 w/ rokkit launchas, 1 w/both rokkit launcha and skorcha)
2 Deff Dreads (both w/ 2 kustom mega blastas each)

It adds up to 1382 points so far. Any suggestions on what I should add to make it 1500 points? I was thinking a zzap cannon or 3.

"There is a cancer eating at the Imperium. With each decade it advances deeper, leaving drained, dead worlds in its wake. This horror, this abomination, has though and purpose which functions on an unimaginable, galactic scale and all we can do is try to stop the swarms of bio-engineered monsters it unleashes upon us by instinct. We have given the horror a name to salve our fears; we call it the Tyranid race, but if it is aware of us at all, it must know us only as Prey."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-11, 10:55 AM

sickening's Flag is: USA

BattleWagons!!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-11, 01:13 PM

I don't think you can have two ranged weapons on a Kan. I believe it's just 1 and the kan power weapon. Personally, I love Killa Kans, and I especially love the grotzooka. A squad of 3 with grotzookas is awesome.

I'd take a squad of 18 boys, a nob, and one of your big meks with the KFF and stick them in a Battlewagon. That way the battlewagon and anything within a 6 inch range gets the cover save. A battlewagon with a 4+ cover save is awesome. You could also get a Battlewagon and put your burna boys with big mek in it. I would also recommend using the deff rolla if you get a battle wagon or 2 or 3 lol.

No matter what, you need more boys. Always take boys before anything else. I played a 1500pt tournament this past Sunday and I fielded 4 squads of about 30 boys, but it depends on your style of play. With the 2 big meks and the kffs, squads of boys and a Kan wall works well.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-11, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Well, with the killa kans I guess I'm exploiting a bit of the wording. It says that you must take one, but that you can't take more than one. Well, the boyz wall works, but i'm more mekky as taking the big meks let me take deff dreads as troop choices.

"There is a cancer eating at the Imperium. With each decade it advances deeper, leaving drained, dead worlds in its wake. This horror, this abomination, has though and purpose which functions on an unimaginable, galactic scale and all we can do is try to stop the swarms of bio-engineered monsters it unleashes upon us by instinct. We have given the horror a name to salve our fears; we call it the Tyranid race, but if it is aware of us at all, it must know us only as Prey."
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-11, 06:17 AM

The Sullen One's Flag is: United Kingdom

Since you don't have much in the way of transport, I'd go with a Kan wall list. Add in some more kans or some Deff Dredds depending on your preferences, try and give the Big Meks some bosspoles and start adding in the boyz. At 1'500 points you need about 120 or so (if you're looking to be competitive.

The problem to watch out for with Killa Kans is that while they're great at shooting, their performance in combat in terms of actually hitting something tends to be as bad as the rest of the boyz are for shooting. Even against say, a tactical squad where the Sargeant only has a chainsword, there's still a good chance that you'll get krak-grenaded before you've killed all the marines.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-11, 08:04 PM

ArchangelPaladin's Flag is: USA

As your stated goal is to run with what you have and flesh out to 1500, go with the sullen’s advise and run a kan list and pile in a lot of extra boyz. 20 more boyz will get you to 1500 points almost spot on. And then for every extra point you squeeze out of your list add in as many boyz as you can(try to get at least 90.)

After that here are some tweaks that you can make with minimal cost:

Convert the tiny meks with the burnas to more burna boyz. Tiny meks just don’t do a damn thing. For a more long term goal consider phasing out the burna boyz altogether as they don’t fare well on foot.

Upgrade the nobz with boss poles and power klaws. A kan list relies on several 30 strong boyz mobs, and when you have 30 boyz you’ll get a lot of extra kills from that power klaw.

Consolidate the types of weapons your kans have. In squads of three you want to make sure that each member of the squad has the same weapon so that you don’t waste shots. (And PS like grumpy said you can only have one ranged weapon on a kan so fix the one with the RL and sckorcha.)

And change out the arms on the deff dreads. The mega blasters are way expensive and because the dreads are BS 2 you won’t be hitting much. The preferred load out for a deff dread is simply as many DCCW as possible. Although for longer term planing consider phasing out the dreads in favor of three more kans and more boyz. You get more kans for roughly the same cost as a fully loaded dread which means more shots, more attacks, and more wounds.

And one last thing you many want to consider in the future (provided you like a kan list) is to dropping the grots, because a good kan list has a ton of boyz, and grots don’t bring much value if you have 100+ boyz already(unless you’re using them to protect lootas.)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-11, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Well, the suggestions made are appreciated but they seem like taking a mek army and turn it into a horde army. While the orks are fundamentally a horde army, I was fielding more of a mekky scheme. This implied more of a shooty army rather than cc. If I drop the deff dreads that defeats the purpose of taking big meks as HQ as they let me take 2 deff dreds as troop choices and leaves me free to use my HS for killa kans. The KMB on the deff dreads give me 8 shots with a low ap high S weapon and even though it's a bs 2 some are still gonna hit and any that hit vaporize what they hit. The burna boyz I like cause they're the theme element to the army besides, if I can get them in CC that's an entire unit with power swords. I liked the idea of a battle wagon to move the burna boyz up. If I need more boyz I think I might drop the deffkoptas to pick up the points for em.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-11, 01:54 AM

Killa Kans make excellent tank bustas if you can get them close enough. A squad of 3 gets 9 Str 10 hits. That's awesome! I use mine to go after landraiders by having them backed up by a boy squad with a Big Mek with KFF.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-11, 04:41 PM

Since you only have Deffkoptas for Fast Attack, I wouldn't run them as 1 unit. Lose one, and your making a leadership 7 check. Unless KPs are a concern for you, splitting them into single kopta units forces opposition to divert attention 3 ways, rather than 1.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Ork Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode