Culler's 'Ard Boyz List - Grimskraga's Big WAAAGH! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-09, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Culler's Flag is: USA

Default Culler's 'Ard Boyz List - Grimskraga's Big WAAAGH!

Well, I've been working on getting my army to 1850 points and now am working on going back and painting...until I found out that my FLGS was participating in the 'Ard Boyz tourney. Now I've pretty much spliced together my horde and nob biker armies to try to get a working whole. Here's what I've got going:

Ork 2,500 point army list – ‘Ard Boyz Tournament List: Grimskraga’s Big WAAAGH!
2,500 total – 163 models

HQ: 310
Warboss Grimskraga: PK + warbike + attack squig + cybork
total: 150

Mad Dok Grotsnik:
character total: 160

Elites: 470
Lootas: 15 lootas
mob total(15): 225

Kommandos: base 130 (13 Kommandos) + Boss Snikrot + burna x2
mob total(14): 245

Troops: 1585
Boyz(sluggas/choppas): 30 Boyz + cybork body x30 + nob with PK
mob total(30): 365
AKA Grotsnik's Parts-Maker Mark II mob

Boyz(shootas): 30 Boyz + big shoota x3 + nob upgrade 10 with power klaw 25 and bosspole 5
mob total(30): 235

Boyz(shootas): 30 Boyz + big shoota x3 + nob upgrade 10 with power klaw 25 and bosspole 5

Nob Bikers: 8 bikers + painboy with orderly + power klaw x2 + bosspole + Waaagh! banner + cybork body x8 + big choppa x2
mob total(8): 515

Fast Attack: 0

Heavy Support: 135
Killa Kans: 3 kans with grotzookas
squadron total(3): 135

If I had more lootas, I'd probably put in another 15 to counter mobile lists and daemon princes and whatnot, but I'm OK with having a ton of regular boyz to hold objectives and they count as fewer KP. My deployment zone is going to be cramped in spearhead but that's OK. I'd like to have 6 more Kans in there too, but I don't have the models.
Da kunnin plan: Warboss joined to the nob bikers which are widely famed for their toughness. Grotsnik joined to a units of cybork boyz is just as tough and in some ways more killy (30 slugga boyz that each are tougher to kill than a space marine). Grotnsik's mob will basically be largely an out-of-control unit that runs around slaughtering stuff and soaking up fire. If their sole legacy is to soak up tons of my opponent's firepower and attention, I'll be thrilled. The 3 shoota mobs are for going after objectives and/or supporting Grotsnik's mob. The Kans are for supporting Grotsnik's mob or dealing with deep-strikers. The lootas set up in cover behind the horde and take potshots at tanks and MCs. The Kommandos do their thing coming in off any board edge. With 2500 points worth of my opponent's stuff on the table something is going to be near a table edge.

Plan is to have the Kans behind at least a line of boyz for 4+ cover. I don't normally like taking 1 vehicle unit, as they typically get blown out of their shoes by all of my opponent's anti-tank focused on them, but any anti-tank shot at them is stuff not shot at the nobs, which is great. With 3 of them and a 4+ cover they should be decently resilient anyhow.

So what do you think I'll have trouble with? I'm thinking land raider based marines or even enough rhino based marines will be extremely rough, as I've got nothing really but melee to get people out of transports (excepting the lootas, who will ruin rhinos). Double lash likewise could make short order of some boyz mobs, but I think I might be able to throw enough boyz out there that lashing and killing one or two won't save them. Mechanized Eldar could similarly be trouble, with only 1 loota squad, and I'll be relying on filling the board with Orks to leave them no place to run.
On the upside Nidzilla, non-Ork hordes, IG tank armies, and drop pod armies don't worry me much.

I'm expecting to see a lot of space marine and IG armies in my local tournament.

Personally, I think my odds are pretty good. This being my first real big tournament I'm pretty stoked though. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-09, 02:04 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

The real problem, as you correctly identified, is AV14. Orks suck at killing it. There are no two ways about it...if the KMB was AP1 at least we'd have something decent at range...You went down a different route from me in my 'Carlsberg' Ork lists...I'm not sure if it's better or worse to be honest, because there will be a LOT of pies at Ard Boyz, from what I can tell. Either way, let us know how playtesting goes!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-09, 04:05 AM
Spored to be Wild

morfangdakka's Flag is: USA

This will be an interesting list to see how it preforms. You could also make grotsniks mob all hard boyz in addition to their cybork upgrade making them really hard to kill and be able to take loads of punishment but I don't know if you have the points to do this or the desire to do it.

There will be pie plate galore everywhere especially with IG so jumping on them fast will be the key. Let us know how it goes.

Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

God, gives children to people so that death won't seem so disappointing.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-09, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

I played IG today in the second scenario (the headhunter kill point mission with dawn of war deployment). He fielded 2 russes, 2 demolishers, 2 vendettas, 3 basilisks, 2 chimeras, and 2 land raiders with inquisitors in them. I found a fatal flaw in my army in this scenario: it's too slow to win in 2 1/2 hours against a shooty army. He deployed first and put a chimera with melta vets as far forward as he could in the middle. I deployed Grotsnik's mob along my left to the middle of the board and a shoota mob in the middle as close to his transport as possible. I seized the initiative and boosted my nobs forward on turn 1 and sent everything else out. On turn 1 he managed to kill 5 of the nobs, and I moved up. On turn 2 I once again moved up and got to assault the chimera with boyz and a land raider with the warboss, but I only shook the raider and immobilized the chimera. On his turn he then he wiped out the warboss and nobs. 6 KP for him. Turn 3 I took out that chimera and the veterans within. 2 KP for me. We hit our time limit at the end of turn 3. Minor victory for him, with a bonus point for each of us (though grotsnik hadn't come in yet, so he probably counted as destroyed giving him a major victory). We played the game out to turn 6, and I proceeded to wipe everything of his off the board without him ever getting another kill point except for the 2 land raiders and inquisitors within (grotsnik's mob was down to 3 boyz, the nob, and grotsnik, and my kommandos were down to snikrot and 1 boy). Final total: 24 points to me, 6 points for him. My usual army plan worked fine, it's just the time limit that's killing me. It took us maybe 3 and 1/2 hours to finish the game out to its extent.

I'm thinking of getting rid of the kommandos, as masters of the fleet pretty much kill him because the game ends early. Maybe use the points for more lootas, who can kill things from far away? Maybe beef out my nob bikers a little too, as attacking with only 1 power klaw was not my plan. Will think on it. Got to go celebrate my country's independence by blowing up a small part of it.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-09, 12:31 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

Lootas and Nob Beef sound like solid plans. ;)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-09, 04:32 PM
Spored to be Wild

morfangdakka's Flag is: USA

In tournements time limits really hurt footslooging armies which is the main reason I played dakka orks so that I could deal long range damage to my opponent quickly.

SO yes lootas and beefy nobs would be a good choice. This is why I made my current tournement list that I made the battlewagon rush. Your list is good for regular play but for tournements I think you may have to add more firepower and speed so I think you are on the right path.

Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

God, gives children to people so that death won't seem so disappointing.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-09, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Well, I did some really ghetto conversion work to get some more lootas (wrapped red wire around some shootas). I put them in instead of Snikrot because there's a good chance Snikrot would just turn into KPs due to not coming on board in the 3 turns that I'm likely to get to play of each match. Beefed up the nobs and slimmed down a boyz mob into more of an objective-holder. Here's what I'm taking to the tourney:

Ork 2,500 point army list – ‘Ard Boyz Tournament List: Grimskraga’s Big WAAAGH!
2,500 total – 154 models

HQ: 310
Warboss Grimskraga: PK + warbike + attack squig + cybork
total: 150

Mad Dok Grotsnik:
character total: 160

Elites: 420
Lootas: 14 lootas
mob total(14): 210

Lootas: 14 lootas
mob total(14): 210

Troops: 1620
Boyz(sluggas/choppas): 30 Boyz + cybork body x30 + nob with PK
mob total(30): 365
AKA Grotsnik's Parts-Maker Mark II mob

Boyz(shootas): 20 Boyz + big shoota x2 + nob upgrade 10 with power klaw 25 and bosspole 5
mob total(30): 170

Nob Bikers: 10 bikers + painboy with orderly + power klaw x2 + bosspole + Waaagh! banner + cybork body x10 + big choppa x2
mob total(10): 615

Fast Attack: 0

Heavy Support: 150
Killa Kans: 3 kans with rokkits
squadron total(3): 150

Last edited by Culler; 07-11-09 at 12:38 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-09-09, 09:29 PM

Rednekgunner's Flag is: USA

it should do ok, but i hope you don't face any blast templates. I would suggest maybe getting some vehicles. a couple of trucks will support your bike units, and a battle wagon or 2 will give you mobility. Those are some food for thought. Also, have you considered Wazdakka? He would go perfect with your nob bikers. If you an squeeze the points a bike unit (boyz not nobz) would help to. I understand that you don't have infinite access to models. I hope it helps.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-09, 12:43 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

Wazzdakka means the Nobs are Elites, and this is bad. He's also inferior to a Warboss.

Personally, I'd have Rokkits or Skorchas on Kans - either they'll be running, or the extra anti-transport fire is better than a GrotZooka - you don't need any more a-i fire.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-09, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingElessar View Post
Personally, I'd have Rokkits or Skorchas on Kans - either they'll be running, or the extra anti-transport fire is better than a GrotZooka - you don't need any more a-i fire.
Yeah, I think I've come to the conclusion that rokkits are going to serve me better here. I love grotzookas, but being able to kill mech stuff at range is going to be necessary.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Ork Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode