My newest refinement - Orks 1850 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-09, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Culler's Flag is: USA

Default My newest refinement - Orks 1850

Here's the newest iteration of my 1850 Ork Hammer and Anvil style army. It consists of a fast element that flanks one side (the hammer) and a slower but crushing infantry advance (the anvil) that leave my opponent with nowhere to turn until they're eventually surrounded on all sides by Orks. For a real competitive situation I'd drop the Kommandos for another Nob with a komb-skorcha and 3 grotzooka killa kans to walk in the middle of my slugga mob and give the whole thing 4+ cover saves (while gaining 4+ cover themselves). It's manipulating the rules in an almost abusive way to do so though. However, 30 boyz with feel no pain and a 4+ cover save is sick. They shrug off fire like they were nob bikers.

Ork 1,850 point army list – Hammer and Anvil with Partsmakers
1,850 total – 109 models

HQ: 310
Warboss: PK, squig, cybork, bike -150
Mad Dok Grotsnik: -160

Elites: 415
15 Lootas -225
9 Kommandos with burna and Snikrot -190

Troops: 1180
Grotsnik's parts-makers: 30 slugga boyz with Nob with PK and 'eavy armour -220
Dakkaladz: 30 shoota boyz with Nob with PK and BP -220
Objective holders: 20 shoota boyz with Nob with PK and BP and 2x big shoota -170
Nob Bikers: 8 bikers with cybork bodies, painboy w/orderly, BP, Waaagh! banner, PK x2, BC x2 -515

Heavy Support: 0

Fast Attack: 0

Grotsnik joins the sluggas, warboss joins the nobs, and turn 1 everyone but the lootas runs at the enemy waving their arms in the air and yelling, nobs turbo-boost, lootas start taking down light vehicles or important targets. Turn 2 the sluggas keep running and get into assault if they're lucky, everyone else moves and shoots, and the nobs assault. Turn 3 pretty much everyone gets into assault or keeps shooting. Snikrot shows up at some point to kill a tank or dev squad or similar target. When I'm playing objectives the 20-man shoota squad goes for an objective or two and pretty much sits on it or provides fire support for a turn or two and then retreats to the objective.
Other iterations of this army that have served me well in the past have had a 12-man warbiker mob, no grotsnik, and either kommandos in full strength or lootas but not both. I've been playing low-point games recently to prepare for a tourney and have fallen in love with both Grotsnik and Kans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-09, 02:11 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Yet another high-quality list from a man that practically runs this sub-forum single-handed at times

Question, does only the Parts-Maker Nob have the Armour?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-09, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingElessar View Post
Yet another high-quality list from a man that practically runs this sub-forum single-handed at times

Question, does only the Parts-Maker Nob have the Armour?
Hehe, thanks. Yeah, only the parts-maker nob has armor. It lets the nob shrug off wounds really well in close combat.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-09, 01:25 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

Yeah, thought so. Have you considered replacing Snikrot's boys with another 20 Boyz Mob, then putting Big Shootas in the 30 Shoota Mob with spare points?

Don't know that it'd be an improvement necessarily, but it would increase the model count.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-09, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingElessar View Post
Yeah, thought so. Have you considered replacing Snikrot's boys with another 20 Boyz Mob, then putting Big Shootas in the 30 Shoota Mob with spare points?

Don't know that it'd be an improvement necessarily, but it would increase the model count.
It's certainly an idea. I'm finding 80 boyz is a pretty good number for their role though more would certainly be nice. Snikrot is pricey but there are 3 things I really like about Snikrot: he's fun to use, he does something no one else in my army can do and fills a role I need filled (anti-tank and mobility in that he kills tanks well as well as devastators and the like and can show up off any board edge).
There are certain armies that you have to have the ability to hit them with something in the early turns or they'll wipe the floor with you despite their fragility such as 2 war walker squadrons with 2 scatter lasers each and eldrad. That unit combo averages 35 wounds (doom, guide, guide) against t4 or lower. 32 wounds on the nob bikers (saved down to about 8). The thought of walking into such a meat grinder makes me glad for things like snikrot. One of my early losses was to such an army.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-09, 05:14 PM
Spored to be Wild

morfangdakka's Flag is: USA

I may have to try this list out for myself. I like to have two burnas in my kommando squad but I like the killa kan idea with grotsnik. I think I have a new nasty surprise for my friend today when we play. He likes abusing the rules so this will drive him crazy when I do it to him. (Cue evil laugh.)

Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

God, gives children to people so that death won't seem so disappointing.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-09, 12:01 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

Fair point, although I thought the War Walker spam lists had dropped back out of favour after people saw how much cheaper Land Speeders are in the new Marine 'Dex. Still, the principle obviously applies to other units, Hydra Batteries for example, or Battlesuits. Snikrot is certainly fun to spring on the opponent!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Ork Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode