New to Orks 1k - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-16, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Default New to Orks 1k

Hello fellow Heretics! I know I'm not one to typically partake in the xenos hordes of 40k but my old friend decided to unload his 4th edition-era model collection on me. Chaos Space Marines, an old WFB starter box (Brets and Lizardmen), but most importantly: ORKS!! I have not many models, but a couple boxes of infantry will clear that up. There is in the collection:

metal Ghazkull
3x metal Nobz in mega armour (shoota, rokkit, skorcha)
~15 Boys, mostly sluggas and choppas
Deff Dread
Killa Kan
Trukk

So friggin' stoked to not be working on power armour. I was thinking of getting a box of Kans, since they come in squads of 3 I could rig up the weapons between them and the one I have to offer me two 2 Kan squads and offer me some gubbinz to make weapons for the Dread as well. The Trukk is old and tiny, but I have some stuff to rip apart and some plasticard to elongate it a bit and I can also use said supplies to trick out an old Rhino that came with the CSM stuff for a second Trukk. Add some boxes of Boys and I've ended up with a 1k list in some approximation of this:

Warboss - mega armour, twin linked shoota, power klaw, da luky stikk

3x Meganobz - shoota, rokkit launcha, skorcha in a Trukk w. rokkit launcha

15x Boyz - sluggas, boss w. power klaw, slugga, boss pole

12x Boyz - shootas and choppas, boss w. power klaw, slugga, boss pole in a Trukk w. rokkit launcha

12x Boyz - shootas and choppas, boss w. power klaw, slugga, boss pole in a Trukk w. rokkit launcha

Deff Dread - 4x power klaws (so many attacks )

2x Killa Kans - rokkit launchas

2x Killa Kans - rokkit launchas

Which leaves me a 999 points. Does it float? It occurs to me I'll need a third Trukk out of...something...maybe I'll rip apart some of the really old stuff in there (not listed) for parts to use with popsicle sticks and plasticard for Trukk #3. Orks! Love that they can make stuff out of anything and use it. No need for crisp lines like with the Imperials...liberating.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for reading

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-16, 08:31 PM
Spored to be Wild

morfangdakka's Flag is: USA

Waaagh! to the newest member of the green crusade to rip apart the universe.

Your army looks pretty good. I would make all the mega nobs the same, all rokkits, skorcha or shootas but those are the models you got.
A battlewagon might be good to throw all the boys in instead of trukks but trukks are okay just expect them to blow up once they get near the enemy.

About the only thing I would suggest might be to trade out 2 of the killa kan rokkits for grotzookas, dropping two small blast templates per killa kan on a unit does bad things.

You may want to look at more of a speed freaks list dropping the dread and kans for some warbikes, buggies, deffkoptas or stormboyz. Or you could go more Dread Mob formation which is more dreads, kans and gorkanauts. Of course if you are infected by the green tide you will build both.

Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

God, gives children to people so that death won't seem so disappointing.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-01-16, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Hey @morfangdakka , thanks for the comments! I think I'm going to convert the Meganobz to have skorchas on the off chance I get to shoot out of their transport. Another dude I know has Burnaboyz in a trukk or battlewagon (can't remember) and it was pretty brutal when he got in close with my Guard. The points garnered dropping the boss poles on the boys gets me the aforementioned skorchas and some grotcannons for at lease two of the Kans, how would you suggest I fit a battlewagon in and is it really worth it at 1k? I know trukks blow up from a fart but that's still 24" closer than where they started and at least I get to roll t-shirt saves against Explodes results..?

I think I would want to go more toward a speed freak army for sure but not for a long time. Gotta get 1k collected, assembled, and painted first (I say this now...). I like Dreadnoughts for muh Bangles and have one of each, the deff and kan, already so would like to use them, if/when I take the army further they may very well be left out except for in larger games.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-01-16, 06:33 PM
Spored to be Wild

morfangdakka's Flag is: USA

In a 1K game I would stick with the trukks. My trukk rush does pretty good even up to 1500 points against most armies Tau and Necrons though are pretty good at shredding it as well as some Eldar builds.

Well just remember the skorchas on the mega nobs are combi weapons so only one shot per game. Burna boyz in a trukk or battlewagon can be brutal to opponents. I have even used burna boyz as bodyguards for the warboss. Especially good against drop pod armies. All those auto hits and ignore cover usually wipes out the squad. Plus the burna boyz can use the skorchas as power weapons in assault. Mega nobs though are awesome in assault as well. They just suck from Slow and Purposeful.

Killa kans and dreads are awesome, I love them and my dread mob has been busting heads in my current league. The only problem is they are going to be slower than the rest of your army. You could leave the killa kans in the backfield to sit on home objectives which is what I do they can handle just about anything that gets back there.
The four claw dread while awesome in combat for me he rarely gets into combat. In seven games he has made it into combat once. Now the league I play in most armies are fast moving and use psychic powers so they just run away from him. Same with my dreads that have 3 PK's and a skocha. They are awesome when they get there but rarely do. The one that gets the most attention is my dread with two rokkits. I put him as far forward as possible in cover near something valuable like a tank if possible. On my turn I move him six inches and launch the rokkits. Now he has only killed two things in seven games, BS2 sucks, but he draws so much fire that should be going at the trukks, it almost guarantees the trukks get safely where I want them or pretty darn close. Anyway I would suggest trying out different configurations on the dread and the killa kans to see what you like. I am going to try out killa kans with mega blastas this Friday to see how they do against eldar. Always fun to try with orks.

Set yourself up a small skirmish against your marines and try different things to see how the orks do. And to get use to BS2 on everything but the killa kan. Grots shot better at BS3.

Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

God, gives children to people so that death won't seem so disappointing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Ork Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode