ork army list - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-16, 12:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Woodzee316's Avatar
Woodzee316's Flag is: Australia
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 564
Reputation: 4
Default

my only real critiques of the list is the lack of regular boyz, two 10 man units isn't really going to get you far also you could save points with your grot units you only need 1 runt herder in the 15 grot unit and the one with 20, drop it down to 19 and then you will only need 1 runt herder for that unit as well that would free up some points there.

but as you said you just want to play the game for fun and this lookis pretty fun and it will suprise heaps of players as it isn't a standard sort of a list for Orks (that is if we have a standard sort of a list)

Orkz - 30W 14L
Black Templar - 6W 5L
Thousand Sons - 7W 8L
Tzeentch Daemons -4W 4L
Woodzee316 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-16, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
jin
Senior Member
 
jin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 205
Reputation: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodzee316 View Post
my only real critiques of the list is the lack of regular boyz, two 10 man units isn't really going to get you far also you could save points with your grot units you only need 1 runt herder in the 15 grot unit and the one with 20, drop it down to 19 and then you will only need 1 runt herder for that unit as well that would free up some points there.

but as you said you just want to play the game for fun and this lookis pretty fun and it will suprise heaps of players as it isn't a standard sort of a list for Orks (that is if we have a standard sort of a list)
thanks for the feedback.
i have not been active enough on this site but when i have been
people are so cool.

about the boyz, yeah, i agree.

i can cut the nobz squad down to three.
i can also remove the killcannon and two big shootas from the battlewagon.
together, that is about a hundred points.


for 60 points, I can add 10 boyz.
do you recommend adding to make one unit of 20?
or adding one more unit of 10?
i thought about making one unit into shoota boyz,
as they look like it.

I also wanted to get some stormboyz in there.
so, my initial thinking was to spend that on stormboyz
and use the leftovers to add a few boyz to the squads.
as the looted wagon can carry 12, i figured on adding a couple boys there.
maybe add one to the other unit.
normal boyz are few,
but there are a number of units of various flavors
instead of a green tide on wheels.
this may be the most "competitive"
but i hate it.
would hate to play it, and would hate to play against it.
note that i have not a single truck.
and also will never own a wraithknight.
centurions.

as for the grot herders rule,
i have not played 40k since 2005 or 6 maybe,
and have never put together an ork army before.
i guess i read the rules wrong.
the codex says that you must take an additional runtherd
"for every ten additional Gretchin".
so i took that to mean
11-20 => the first additional 10
21-30 => the second additional ten.

so, after ten grots, one must have 2 herders.
and so on.
actually, i have a difficult time reading the text and understanding it a different way.

on the interpretation that you are offering,
and it turns out to be the normal reading, as i have just checked da webz,
one requires an additional herder only at 20.
and, as the squad limit size is 30,
it seems a better way to write the rule would have been:
"with 20 or more grots, an additional herder is required."
but actually, it is only with 30, the maximum number, that an additional herder is required.
which seems to be the way that people read the rule,
but makes absolutely no sense at all. none.

but, anyways, if this is the rule,
then you are right,
and i guess the thing to do is to move those orks into the other squads.
or, maybe split the grots into three objective babysitting units of 10 each.
of course, they are fragile and will run.
but, there are more of them that will have to run.
and being smaller may be easier to hide...




does anyone else understand this rule differently?

Last edited by jin; 01-14-16 at 05:54 AM.
jin is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-16, 07:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Moriouce's Avatar
Moriouce's Flag is: Sweden
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Borås
Posts: 2,195
Reputation: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jin View Post
as for the grot herders rule,
i have not played 40k since 2005 or 6 maybe,
and have never put together an ork army before.
i guess i read the rules wrong.
the codex says that you must take an additional runtherd
"for every ten additional Gretchin".
so i took that to mean
11-20 => the first additional 10
21-30 => the second additional ten.

so, after ten grots, one must have 2 herders.
and so on.
actually, i have a difficult time reading the text and understanding it a different way.
I know that everyone keep saying that you can have 1 herder up to 19 grots but I'm with you on this. I have also never seen how the rules could read that. Maybe a collective case of rulebending.

Good to be green

Barks Dakka Ladz: W3-D2-L3
Altansar Eldar: W3-D0-L2

Moriouce is offline  
 
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-16, 12:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Woodzee316's Avatar
Woodzee316's Flag is: Australia
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 564
Reputation: 4
Default

the grot rule was actually FAQed to clarify this. the wording as said for each additional 10 grots you must take another runt herder so an additional 9 doesn't meet the requirements for another runt herder, not until you add 10. the advantage to doing the 20 grots is that the unit size is actually 22 mini's (20 gretchin and two runt herders) which makes the first morale check after losing 6 instead of 5 and you have two squig hounds so multiple chances to eat grots to recheck morale. otherwise if you aren't using the slots on the FOC you might as well have multiple units of gretchin as objective sitters.

Orkz - 30W 14L
Black Templar - 6W 5L
Thousand Sons - 7W 8L
Tzeentch Daemons -4W 4L
Woodzee316 is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-16, 01:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Moriouce's Avatar
Moriouce's Flag is: Sweden
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Borås
Posts: 2,195
Reputation: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodzee316 View Post
the grot rule was actually FAQed to clarify this. the wording as said for each additional 10 grots you must take another runt herder so an additional 9 doesn't meet the requirements for another runt herder, not until you add 10. the advantage to doing the 20 grots is that the unit size is actually 22 mini's (20 gretchin and two runt herders) which makes the first morale check after losing 6 instead of 5 and you have two squig hounds so multiple chances to eat grots to recheck morale. otherwise if you aren't using the slots on the FOC you might as well have multiple units of gretchin as objective sitters.
Thanks! First time I have seen anyone clarify this!

Good to be green

Barks Dakka Ladz: W3-D2-L3
Altansar Eldar: W3-D0-L2

Moriouce is offline  
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-16, 10:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Woodzee316's Avatar
Woodzee316's Flag is: Australia
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 564
Reputation: 4
Default

yeah when i first started playing, i thought the same and then it was explained to me. in the older codex the wording wasn't as clear but in the new codex it was re-written to "supposedly" remove the confusion.

Orkz - 30W 14L
Black Templar - 6W 5L
Thousand Sons - 7W 8L
Tzeentch Daemons -4W 4L
Woodzee316 is offline  
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-16, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
jin
Senior Member
 
jin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 205
Reputation: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodzee316 View Post
yeah when i first started playing, i thought the same and then it was explained to me. in the older codex the wording wasn't as clear but in the new codex it was re-written to "supposedly" remove the confusion.
yeah, they did a great job there.

jin is offline  
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-16, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
jin
Senior Member
 
jin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 205
Reputation: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodzee316 View Post
the grot rule was actually FAQed to clarify this. the wording as said for each additional 10 grots you must take another runt herder so an additional 9 doesn't meet the requirements for another runt herder, not until you add 10. the advantage to doing the 20 grots is that the unit size is actually 22 mini's (20 gretchin and two runt herders) which makes the first morale check after losing 6 instead of 5 and you have two squig hounds so multiple chances to eat grots to recheck morale. otherwise if you aren't using the slots on the FOC you might as well have multiple units of gretchin as objective sitters.
wow. ok. i understand but still makes zero practical sense.

i understand why 1-10 => 1 herder
11-20 2, and 21-30 3.
more grots need more herders.
now, why one ork alone can manage the FIRST 20,
but the second can only manage the second 10,
and the third only one additional gretchin at 30 -
this is senseless on its face.
anyways, i like the result.
means i can drop a herder from the one,
and either add another hound to the big unit
or
using those points, add almost a couple orks to a boyz squad.
jin is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Ork Army Lists

Tags
40k , army list , cad , ork

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome