2000pnts back to basics tournament coming up - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-15, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Woodzee316's Flag is: Australia

Default 2000pnts back to basics tournament coming up

got a gaming night coming up at my local games workshop store. thought i'd run a list there but as always start thinking of 1 list and then ideas turn over in our head for others so I thought i'd put them up on here.

List one good ol' meat and potatoes

Battlewagon 4x big shootas
passengers
Warboss Mega Armour, lucky stick, boss pole
Mek Kustom mega-slugga with 2x grot oilers
18 choppa boyz 'eavy amour

5x trukk mobz
trukk Mob
passengers
Nob with PowerKlaw, bosspole
11x choppa boyz

3x deffkopta's (run solo objective getters)

Gorkanaut w grotriggers
Bigmek with Kustom Force Field, da fixer uppers. 3x grot oilers
Killa Kanz x4 Rokkits
Lootas x10

list 2

Green tide formation

Warboss with Mega armour, big boss pole, super cybork
2x boyz mob
Nob with PowerKlaw, boss pole
9x choppa boyz
8x boyz mob
Nob with PowerKlaw, boss pole
9x choppa boyz

CAD formation

2x Gorkanaut w grot riggers
with Big mek KFF

2 units of shoota boyz
9x shoota boyz
1x nob with boss pole, shoota

to me list one is a bit more versatile and probably the better all round one, but list two seems like a bit more fun but could still holds own and two nauts would just wreak absolute havoc. thoughts either way or even some chops and changes.

Orkz - 30W 14L
Black Templar - 6W 5L
Thousand Sons - 7W 8L
Tzeentch Daemons -4W 4L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-15, 02:03 AM
Spored to be Wild

morfangdakka's Flag is: USA

I do like the first list for all comers but I would maybe drop the 4 rokkit kans and take a second gorkanaut. This would give you two big fire magnets while everything else raced forward.
The mek with kustom mega slugga I would give a kustom mega blasta instead to save a little points.

List two I like a lot as well. It should be interesting to see how it works.

Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

God, gives children to people so that death won't seem so disappointing.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-15, 06:09 AM

R_Squared's Flag is: England

I agree, both lists look fun to play. List one is a little more versatile. But the green tide and 2 gorkanaughts would be a great laugh. Have you played a tide before? If not, I do recommend a painboy. A cliché I know, but worth his weight in gold, you will get his points back in number of boyz saved.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-15, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

well played the second list against a mates nids list and grey knights for a laugh and see how it went. more of a friendly as I gave him the list to look at so he would have an idea just to see how it goes against lists tooled to try and take it apart. the grey knights were absolutely ruined by the sheer weight of numbers. once the green tide got into melee that was it. the gorkanauts really worked well backing up the tide huge threat factor knowing how much extra carnage was going to be created once in combat after firing all the guns and the combination of KFF and riggers worked outstanding as they took a lot of heat. his purifiers created the most damage and it wasn't like I could avoid them with so man models. the 2 units of them were the priorities of the nauts which worked well managing to totally destroy the unit that started on the board. in the end he conceded the game on turn 4.

The nids however, that was a fun game I think we laughed more than played total carnage. everything was disordered charges gorkanauts took out the flyrant. turn 2 was when all the fun started. at the end of turn 2 onwards not a shot was fired. Won the game on points in the end the tide counting as one unit just gave out no kill points.

pros:
1. once one model from the tide reached a target the boyz couldn't be shot at anymore.
2. the ability to move the nobz around inside the formation to accept challenges (basically like mini teleports)
3. the super cybork the greatest upgrade for the eternal warrior and feel no pain after the 2+ save (was able to waste the special hive tyrant and Draigo survived both games)
4. gorkanauts were a huge distraction in both games. the deff storm mega shoota is worth it's weight in gold especially with the two of them. They took care of all the armour whether trough fire or just mashing things with the klaw.

cons:
1. a lot of models to move
2. lots of dice i mean lots of dice, ended up downloading a dice app called "simple war dice"(at one stage i needed to roll 132 dice) the dice app is brilliant by the way it tells you how many of each number were rolled. we both used it so that it was fair.
3. models were all bunched up so very susceptible to templates and blast on first turn as I went second in both games (by choice to see how it would cope)
4. once all the melee started the nauts just were too big to get into the melee with so many ork boyz around. trying to shuffle them through the masses was hard work just ended up walking them around the edges and getting in when they could.

so in conclusion worked well don't know if it will be uber competitive but geez it was fun to play.

Orkz - 30W 14L
Black Templar - 6W 5L
Thousand Sons - 7W 8L
Tzeentch Daemons -4W 4L
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-15, 08:35 AM

R_Squared's Flag is: England

Glad you had fun with it. Sounds like a great couple of match ups. I've not played either of those armies myself, so I'm pleased to hear it handled them well.

I've played the tide a couple of times myself, and it presents all sorts of "interesting" scenarios itself. My last opponent just couldn't get his head around how many casualties it could take, and with the Big Bosspole making it fearless, it keeps coming too. It also frustrated him enormously when one end of the tide was in combat, but the tail, which is clearly in view to other units, couldn't be shot at, even though it was half a table length away.
We didn't play the "mini-teleport" challenges though, as, with the Biggest and the Best rule, it would mean chucking the Warboss in against some pretty tasty CC opponents, with the potential to lose the Big Bosspole if he died.
Did you add a PainBoy in the end? 5+ FnP on a tide is just superb.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-15, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

I thought about it but couldn't workout where to take the points from to keep it legal could've dropped a bigmek I guess as wasn't really needed that much. you would be surprised at how durable the fully kitted warboss is. next I would love to try the pure green tide with all the boyz in eavy armour.at 2000 should get around the 140 boyz mark.

Orkz - 30W 14L
Black Templar - 6W 5L
Thousand Sons - 7W 8L
Tzeentch Daemons -4W 4L
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-15, 05:12 PM
Spored to be Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodzee316 View Post
I thought about it but couldn't workout where to take the points from to keep it legal could've dropped a bigmek I guess as wasn't really needed that much. you would be surprised at how durable the fully kitted warboss is. next I would love to try the pure green tide with all the boyz in eavy armour.at 2000 should get around the 140 boyz mark.

That would be interesting to see how it worked out. I like the look of your list and except for the naughts I think I have everything so I could give it a go and see how it fairs. It will be a nasty surprise for my local group. Glad you had fun playing it.

Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-15, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

well against a necron army....... I conceded on turn 4 as the tide was wiped out, dream run destroyed. need a re-think. I'm thinking to fit the pain boy and some eavy armour in. oh and the points have been revised to 1850. so this is the new look list.

Green tide

warboss w/ mega armour, super cybork, big boss pole

6 units of

9x boyz eavy armour
Nob PK eavy armour

4 units of
9x boyz
Nob PK boss pole

the great waaggh
HQ
Painboy
Bigmek mega KFF

Elites
3x burna boyz 2x meks w/ KMB

Heavy Support
Gorkanaut w/ grot riggers

the bigmek and burna boyz ride in the gorkanaut for the 3 repairs and the 4+ cover save. travels at the back of the tide. the units with the eavy armour travel at the front to soak up a bit of fire power as the biggest problem was losing the front row before the charge and just being short on the distance. weakness was the amount of fire power it faced so assuming it would suffer against Tau as well.

Orkz - 30W 14L
Black Templar - 6W 5L
Thousand Sons - 7W 8L
Tzeentch Daemons -4W 4L
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-15, 04:24 PM
Spored to be Wild

I am not sure it is going to work like you think it will. Eavy armor is great in assualt it doesn't really do that great when getting shot at. This has been my experience anyway that they die almost the same as boyz as with no armor. So I would try it in reverse. Put the regular boyz up front to be bullet catchers till the armored up boyz get to assault.

I think your list lacks some distraction units. Some tankbustas in a gunwagon some deffkoptas or warbikes. Things that can get in there and do some damage or capture objectives while the tide runs forward.

You could also try a Void Shield Generator that gives protection to the whole tide as long as one model is with in 12 inches of it this might be a cheaper option than giving half the army armor.

Red Orc

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Ork Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode