Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1000pts Orks for local FLGS event

3K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  morfangdakka 
#1 ·
Throughout May, my local GW is running a gaming night on Fridays, 1000pts each, all using the 6th edition rules. I thought I'd take my Orks out for a spin - these events aren't ultra-competitive, and I'm going along for fun, but I still want a decent list. Here's what I've got so far:

Warboss with Power Klaw, Attack Squig, Kombi-Skorcha and Cybork Body

30 Slugga Boyz with Nob with Power Klaw
30 Slugga Boyz with Nob with Power Klaw and Bosspole
25 Shoota Boyz with Nob with Power Klaw and Bosspole

Dakkajet with 3 Twin-Linked Supa-Shootas and Flyboss

The general plan being that Boyz march up the table and Dakkajets fly in to deal with enemy planes. At 1000pts, I pretty much just hope that the enemy hasn't brought enough tools at 1000pts to deal with both 85 Boyz and 2 Dakkajets.

Models-wise, I have another 15 Shoota Boyz, Ghazghkull 10 Nobs with gear (Power Klaws, Big Choppas, Waaagh! Banner, Painboy etc.), and Battlewagon - also a bunch of Lootas, a Deff Dread and 3 Killa Kans but they're unpainted so would need doing sharp-ish. I also have the Dread Mob list if I need to switch it up (but I don't think that's a good idea).

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
That's quite tempting - removing the Nob with Power Klaw and the Warboss' rather extraneous Kombi-Skorcha allows me to bulk up the 25-man Shoota squad to 30 with a pair of Big Shootas in there, which is useful - at this points value, I think just putting as many Boyz on the field as I can with some shooting support from the Jets is a good plan, so skimping on some stuff is fairly acceptable.

New list:

Warboss with Power Klaw, Attack Squig and Cybork Body

30 Slugga Boyz
30 Slugga Boyz with Nob with Power Klaw and Bosspole
30 Shoota Boyz with 3 Big Shootas and Nob with Power Klaw

#5 ·
I like the list as well. I think though that you may need something to deal with the one player that takes a Landraider crusader or redemer to the party.

One thing I like to do at this point level is bring something often not seen by people like a battery of ork lobbas to drop pie plates on peoples heads is not something people expect from orks.

#6 ·
I like the list as well. I think though that you may need something to deal with the one player that takes a Landraider crusader or redemer to the party.
I just kinda run at it with Power Klaws, there's not an awful lot of guns Orks can really use to bring down a Land Raider. Usually I'd try and hit it with Deff Rollas or Nobz, but 1000pts is a little too small for me to bring either of those things. Besides, when did runnin' forward and krumpin' stuff every go badly for the Orks?

One thing I like to do at this point level is bring something often not seen by people like a battery of ork lobbas to drop pie plates on peoples heads is not something people expect from orks.
Alas, model constraints, but I think that's a really solid plan, especially in this era of the Aegis Defence Line.

#7 ·
I fought Nids, and did good. He managed to take out the Warboss and one squad of Boyz fairly easily, but the rest of the Boyz pretty much wandered up the line and killed everything (the charge that started the end was a mighty 10" charge through terrain by the Shoota Boyz). The Dakkajets were very disappointing, but they had no ideal targets for most of the game (it spiralled into a giant combat on turn 3 that eventually every unit on the board joined - started off as Gaunts kill a Shoota Boy or two, Tervigon kills one or two, Shootas kill five or six Gaunts, Klaw knocks a wound off the Tervigon - eventually ended by the arrival of 28 charging Slugga Boyz into the Tervigon and the Synaptic Backlash killed most of the Gaunts, too). I got Night Attacker for a Warlord Trait, but as it was it saved very few Boyz due to the short range of the Tyranid guns and the fact that he had refused the flank to force my Green Tide to slowly swing round through difficult terrain.

His list was roughly:
Hive Tyrant with Wings, 2 Twin-Linked Devourers, some kind of Thorax Swarm, psychic powers of The Horror and Psychic Shriek and Warlord Trait of Synaptic Lynchpin
Tervigon with Stinger Salvo, some kind of Thorax Swarm, psychic power Psychic Shriek
2 Hive Guard with Impaler Cannons
Venomthrope
30 Gaunts with 7 Devourers, 23 Fleshborers
Aegis Defence Line

Thanks for the help :victory:

#8 ·
Nice job on beating Nids. Maybe drop a dakkajet and take some burna boys and some lobbas or proxy some. of course next game the dakkajets will probably rule.

#9 ·
i usually play against an ork friend with dakkajets-love and he agrees too on the fact that in this small point set, 2 dakka are just redundant. 130 pts can be better spent with some lootas, defkoptas or even kommandos, to mess my firing priority. ork lobbas are unespected, though, and could be put to good use from first turn

#10 ·
I could definitely have used Lobbas in this game - Termagants behind an Aegis Line are pretty obnoxious.

The problem I had with the Dakkajet is the hugely limited firing arc on Flyers combined with the size of the table making it almost impossible to gain a target for more than one turn at a time. Dakkajet flies on, shoots, flies off, flies on, shoots, flies off. 130pts for a reasonable shooting force that only fires once every two turns is pretty meh.

#11 ·
Lootas would be a good option as a replacement since dakkajets are pretty much flying lootas they work well.

Other things l like to do at these point levels is put a squad of burnaboyz in as the warbosses personal bodyguard. All those unexpected flamer attacks or powerweapon attacks are hard to deal with.

Buggies are another thing I love to add. Fast, mobil, cheap and they can kill stuff. A unit of two buggies with skocha upgrade to kill stuff in cover and a buggy with rokkits launchers gives you stuff to take on big stuff. And that would leave you 15 points to spend on other stuff. So for the price of one dakkajet you get three upgraded suicide buggies.

You could also make a small Ard boyz shoota squad to give you some 4+ shoota boyz that are good for objective holding or leading the attack when orks get a 4+ save this freaks people out.

Anyway just some of my oddball things I throw in my list a low point levels to mess with people and give them something that they are not use to seeing in a normal ork army.

#12 ·
Alas, I have some pretty bad model constraints, and AS Levels means no hope of painting anything before the next one. However, I can probably paint up ten or fifteen Lootas during the half-term for the one in two weeks' time (they're running all through May):

AoBR Warboss
Mega-Armoured Warboss
10 Nobz, 7 Big Choppas, 2 Power Klaws, Painboy, Waaagh! Banner
102 Slugga Boyz (4 Nobz, 60 Slugga, 40 Shoota with 6 Big Shootas)
2 Planes (built as Dakkajets but could run them as Bommas)
Battlewagon with Deff Rolla, gunners, all the bells and whistles from the kit
3 Killa Kans with Big Shoota/Skorcha/Grotzooka, but wouldn't be too hard to proxy
Deff Dread with 4 DCCWs
3 Zzap Guns
Aegis Line with Quad-Gun
Stompa! (although I don't think we're playing Escalation :( )

Everything else is unpainted, unfortunately, so this is pretty much it for what I have to work with.

#13 ·
Your list is good for this event I would just add some lootas to replace the one dakkajet. I was just giving you ideas for future events at this point level of things to add to your army that just drive opponents crazy. Of course with 7th coming out and a rumored new ork codex all that may change but they are ideas to consider. Good luck and keep bashing and stomping them.

#14 ·

7 Lootas

30 Shoota Boyz with 2 Big Shootas and Nob with Power Klaw

@morfangdakka

Got some last-minute painting done. In exam season, no less!

#16 ·

7 Lootas

30 Shoota Boyz with 2 Big Shootas and Nob with Power Klaw

@morfangdakka

Got some last-minute painting done. In exam season, no less!
7 loots will do very nicely. I think this is a good list as well and you should do really good.

#15 ·
at 1000 pts only template or blast heavy armies stand a chance. this list looks very good

#17 ·
For anyone interested -

This list performs well in 7th edition too. Being able to charge through cover with impunity, the more powerful Warlord Traits, and ability to dogpile objectives with Objective Secured makes bringing a load of Boyz a strong thing. The removal of area terrain seemed like it would be a big deal, but most of the things that used to be Area Terrain are now their own Datasheet in the rulebook with the same effect as Area Terrain (although you can't GtG for +2 to your save, Orks are Fearless, so I don't care :victory:) - in addition, I often get 4+ cover anyway as the GW Ruins are so convenient as to be the main terrain piece around here, as well as it being a common sight to see both players bringing an Aegis Line. Psychic Powers are annoying, but not much more annoying than before, and you can occasionally push through a Deny on Catalyst or Fortune which is really sweet. Apart from that, I found that an incredibly effective way of dealing with Psykers was to kill the Psykers. Most psykers are either hugely expensive or very squishy, and if you have some way of getting to them (such as a Dakkajet or long range or simply having enough bodies to absorb casualties on the way in), you can deal with them in short order.

Oh, and I managed to win The Relic against a Space Marine list with a Knight Errant, which I was pretty chuffed about.

#18 ·
this is good to know as I play mainly footslooger armys with lots of boys and congrats on the win I would be chuffed about someone bringing a knight as well but you showed him orks stompa everything. Keep up the good work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.