Anti-Tyranid Ork Army List/s (1500 pts) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-13, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Waaagh_Skabfang's Flag is: Great Britain

Default Anti-Tyranid Ork Army List/s (1500 pts)

Hey there everyone,
In my local gaming ‘club’ we have Tau, Eldar, me as Orkz (in this example) and a tyranid player, the Eldar and Tau are at least fairly underpowered so it is usually biased in my favour for those matches, this might change as these players get more experienced, our codices have all not coped as well as others so it balances it out between us.
The Tyranid player is the issue however, I feel they got an incredible buff esp. against Orkz with the new challenge rules and the fact GW decided to give most of the MCs the rule (character) in their unit type. The days of boy groups and the Nob in them being sufficient to tie up and eventually kill a MC are now over as many of you know thus I have been struggling against the nid player.
Knowing now that green tide is not going to cut it anymore like it has done: I had created some perhaps non-conventional lists (although with Dakkajets being so popular, don't quite know if non-conventional would be the right term for one of them) in order to combat the mix of MC's and close range infantry and of course that damnable Swarmlord.
These are of course not definitive, nor have I tested them just yet so I am wondering if anyone could help refine them as anti-nid as possible.

ARMY LIST ONE: Dakkajets will smash ‘em gud an’ propa!

HQ

Warboss + Mega Armour + Cybork + attack squig

Similar Warboss but with added Kombi-Skorcha

Troops

25 boyz + Nob + ‘Eavy Armour + BP + PK

4 more squads of these at 20 orkz per squad (Nob inclusive)

Fast Attack

Dakkajet + extra supa-shoota + Flyboss

Same Dakkajet

Same Dakkajet

Overall = 1500 pts

Well perhaps green-tide won’t be dead with this list. Dakka jets are to snipe off the monstrous creatures and the green-tide orkz are to deal with everything else or tie up those monstrous creatures that the Dakkajets are unable to deal with quickly enough.

I am wondering whether it might be a good idea to split up the boy mobz a bit more so I can get more PK’s in: the more boy squads I get in an assault the more PK’s there are to avoid being challenged.

I’ll post up the other list/lists later when I have more free-time to type it up at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-13, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Here's the other list that I had thought of:

HQ

Big Mek w/ SAG + 'Eavy Armour + Ammo Runt

Troops

30 Boys w/ Nob + PK + BP + 'Eavy Armour

30 Boyz w/ same upgrades

11 Gretchin w/ Runtherd

Elites

10 Lootas

10 Lootas

10 Lootas

Fast Attack

Dakkajet w/ extra supa shoota + Flyboss

Dakkajet w/ same

Heavy Support

3 Kannons w/ 10 crew + Runtherd

3 Kannons w/ Same

3 Kannons w/ Same

Overall: 1499 pts

Didn't quite have a name this time ^_^

The idea behind this list has a bit more thought to it I feel, It is played as Orkz as a gunline which might not work but since Nids are mostly coming towards you no matter what I feel I can play against that.

So the Kannons are mainly used to snipe off MC's that get too close. If no MC's are in threat range I will then use their blast shot to do dmg against any of his infantry.

The Dakkajets have an added roll in this by sniping off any objective campers he has placed, if not the case then MC's will be their usual duty again.

Lootas are once again geared towards the MC's but of course they can mix and match here and they are like the Kannons in terms of their variety though more dependent on my luck.

The Big Mek is just to mostly help with any of the blobs of infantry he'll bring: like gargoyles or any gaunts, hopefully he'll run a double 6 result on that unlucky MC don't know how high a chance I will have with that but hey ho: He'll join the unit of gretchin and camp with them on an objective...maybe

Lastly da 2 units of 30 boyz are to deal with the charging hordes and tie up any MCs that manage to get through. Now he will bring biovores and they usually crush me boyz so, at the start I will look to find cover for them to hide in till his armies get close.

If the Doom shows up, Ill try to catch him with the boy units I have. If it is an infiltrating monstrous creature then it will be as the Romulan Villain in newest Star Trek movie would say "FIRE EVERYTHING!" with the Kannons.

Last edited by Waaagh_Skabfang; 03-26-13 at 08:44 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-13, 10:22 PM

Ring Master "Honka"'s Flag is: United Kingdom

i like it. lots of explosions lots of death

another possible option is to looted wagons him to death fire a few boom gun into there lines to thin them out however they are a lot more expensive.

also question are the boys usually shoota or slugga boys?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-13, 01:21 AM
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH

Battman's Flag is: Australia

The lists look decent, one thing i noticed in the second though is that there is only 60 boys along with the smaller squad of grots and if you planing on throwing these at the enemy you mightn't have much left to score objectives also those sqauds have a nob with a boss pole mightnt this be a waste of points when the mob gets to the size i will need this its fairly dead anyway. just a thought i still run boss poles just incase i need that leadership at the time when the mob is wrecked

Da Golden Waaagh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlestix View Post
Dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka BATORK!!!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-13, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring Master "Honka" View Post
another possible option is to looted wagons him to death fire a few boom gun into there lines to thin them out however they are a lot more expensive.
I did consider some Looted Wagons when I was thinking of a means to combat those bugs but then the Tyranid player tends to be rather elite than Swarmy. Which is why I thought Kannons would be more appropriate to be versatile enough to deal with both elements of his army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring Master "Honka" View Post
also question are the boys usually shoota or slugga boys?
I've went for sluggas just to give me more attacks and have a higher chance of getting a couple of 6's in there if they do not have Iron Arm. Shootas would only be useful for so long till the boyz get in CQC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battman View Post
one thing i noticed in the second though is that there is only 60 boys along with the smaller squad of grots
Yeah I did consider this after I had posted the thread but I am not sure what to get rid of to add another squad in. I know the squad would at least need to be 20-30 to make them effective at tieing them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battman View Post
those sqauds have a nob with a boss pole mightnt this be a waste of points when the mob gets to the size i will need this its fairly dead anyway.
Hmm yeah this is true, do you think then that perhaps the Nobz would not be needed in this example? because that is an interesting idea to save points.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-13, 12:13 PM

Woodzee316's Flag is: Australia

one thing you could look at that all tyranid players would hate to see is a battlewagon with a KFF bigmek, a full load burnas on board, a killkannon and/or a deathrolla. nothing says how ya goin' like a drive by with a broadside of flame templates while you are rolling over an MC with a d6 str 10 hits. a bit of a deathstar unit but an effective one and a big target soak.

something to look at doing would be maybe drop one dakkajet for the start of the points needed for the wagon, swap the SAG for a KFF and stick him in the wagon (and he can do running repairs if needed on the wagon), swap 10 lootas for 10 burnas, shift the 10 grots and runtherder to troops for camping on objectives and remove a unit of kannons and that should get you the burna wagon with the rolla and a couple of big shoota's on board and if you got a few more points fill the wagon with more burnas
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-13, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies thus far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodzee316 View Post
a full load burnas on board, a killkannon and/or a deathrolla. nothing says how ya goin' like a drive by with a broadside of flame templates while you are rolling over an MC
Hah I did do this to him, it was some of the first games i had and I rolled up some burnas in a trukk (didn't quite know just yet that you could not do it at the time) and just melted an entire squad of genestealers, esp. since I think i managed about 100 something hits?, his face afterwards was priceless.

In the first list I could maybe see myself testing this idea out but in a gunline-esque list of the second one I do not know how it would cope. Most of my Deffrollas that I have used against nids have just popped and anything inside of them gets mauled to shreds.

Kannons I feel have more of a chance of sustaining more wounds on them because they are ap3 and most of the nid MC's are armour 3+, save for the Tyrannofex and an upgraded Hive Tyrant as I recall.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-13, 03:25 PM

brianlynchmob's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waaagh_Skabfang View Post
Thank you for the replies thus far

Hah I did do this to him, it was some of the first games i had and I rolled up some burnas in a trukk (didn't quite know just yet that you could not do it at the time) and just melted an entire squad of genestealers, esp. since I think i managed about 100 something hits?, his face afterwards was priceless.
You can do that, You just need to move at combat speed. This is why you want the red paint for burna wagons.

the MC's are a pain, but if you can assault them though, issue a challenge if they have 4 wounds or less. You should have enough rerolls from the boys to make sure you get your 4 wounds in. so I'd go with your dakka jet list. More boys & PK's

If he's running warriors though, give your boys some rokkits as they can insta kill them. This is also a good reason to take a burna wagon with a rolla.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-13, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlynchmob View Post
You can do that, You just need to move at combat speed. This is why you want the red paint for burna wagons.
I'll give it a shot if this one does not quite work but I have had way too many bad experiences with deffrollas against him, with red paint and a kilkannon thats like 175 pts with possibly 150 pts of burnas inside that might roast a small squad of gaunts or a 20 man squad of gargoyles
I just don't see it earning back its worth in points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlynchmob View Post
If he's running warriors though, give your boys some rokkits as they can insta kill them. This is also a good reason to take a burna wagon with a rolla.
He tends not to bring warriors against my orkz anymore: he has seen the devestation my Looted Wagons have wrought his warriors before! The Dakkajet list prolli has that as a weakness against it. Though I am not too keen on using rokkits on normal boyz to do that, 1 shot and too low a BS to be effective enough IMO.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-13, 11:01 PM

Woodzee316's Flag is: Australia

not sure what you meant had burnas in a "trukk" i meant in a battlewagon with a deff rolla on the front and always keep the front facing his powerful units it is a AV14 as opposed to AV11 of trukks that way it will take him alot longer to open it up. also the best thing about a deffrolla is it can not be destroyed it is part of the vehicle so no matter how many weapon destroyed rolls you face you will always have it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Ork Army Lists

Tags
army lists , ork , orks , tactica , warhammer 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode