new to Orks and need a good 1500pt army from this list - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-12, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

new to Orks and need a good 1500pt army from this list

hi,

i've decided to start building a few warhammer armies up as i intend within the next 6 months to start a local gaming club up as i've moved from a city to the countryside and i already possess a full resin space hulk board that i'm painting through and a mass of painted gene stealers and I'm working through 2 x tartaros terminator squads from FW. As everything points towards the 6th edition being released soon i will get a couple of copies of that to start with but want a starting point so snapped this bargain up a few days ago on ebay

Forgeworld Lifta Droppa Wagon
Ork Deff Dredd
3 Ork Killa Kans
40 Ork Boyz
10 Ork Nobz
6 Deff Koptas
2 Warbosses
20 Ork Stormboyz
Boss Zagstruk

i don't mind buying a few extra things as the is that over the space of a year we can build up to apocalypse games and being a resin junkie at heart i'm after a few FW characters and nob bikers and characters as they are pure bliss to paint. I have a copy of the codex and IA8 so having not played orks before i'd love some pointers. the models are 2 sets from AOBR and i can change the weapons on the walkers easily enough - i will be going for deathskullz as a paint scheme so any fluff that goes as a guide for what should be included would be great.

for those of you that don't know - the lifter dropper without upgrades is 225pts and i'm gagging for it to stay in the list so extra armour may have to be included to increase longevity unless i end up with a nob biker mob.

please advise - i'll post a provisional list when i've come up with one. i've discovered that a Big Mek with KFF is on the 'to buy list' already to look after my lifter dropper. anything else to be considered mandatory such as nobs and PKs to lead my boyz?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-12, 05:32 PM

Tanrel's Flag is: USA

ok, looks like you have the makings of a good horde army right now, but you're missing some key components.

Rule number one for playing orks: You do not take toyz before boyz.
Rule number two for playing orks: You do not take toyz before boyz!

Ok, fight club references aside, boyz before toyz is the most important thing to keep in mind. Quantity is a quality in its own right and Orks are the very best at quantity. You can skip out on a lot of the shiny bits, like flash gits or 'ard boyz or even tanks for more boyz. In a horde list your troops choices should be filled or almost filled with large squads of boyz. I usually take squads of 25 at least with my boyz. Every squad should have a Nob with a Power Klaw, the hidden power klaw will live long enough to kill IC's, vehicles, and Termi equivalents.
You also have the makings of a very effective Ork build called the Kan Wall. The idea for the Kan wall is to have something like 3 squads of 3 kans or 5 deffdreds in front of your horde with 2 Big Meks with KFF's. The KFF's will obscure the Kans or dreds giving them a 4+ cover save, then the kans will provide cover for the orks behind them giving them a 4+ cover save as well.

USMC, Oorah!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-12, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

i can probably sell the dethkoptas and normal nobs to fund another 3 kans or death dread on ebay and as the models are the schizz i'm happy with the idea of a dread mob.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-12, 02:43 AM

They're pretty scary, just be aware that Grey Knights will beat orks fairly easily with orks having no psychic defenses. I watched in horror as a squad of 10 paladins with a Librarian and a Grand Master shred a full squad of storm boyz, a full squadron of Kans, and a deffdred in one turn. Don't get discouraged by this stuff, since they're only one army.

USMC, Oorah!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-12, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

any counter GK builds out there? nob biker hordes? i gather from gaming clubs 'reasonably close' its a lot of power armour and demons. i may throw in a couple of grot bombs from FW in a few variant build lists to get a few S8 AP3 templates down early in a game.

once i get round to playing with them i should be able to rule out the creases and see which way i get pulled in a force build.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-12, 03:28 PM

Something else you could try for lower point games is a looted wagon with a boomgun. Although, GK shooting can be pretty amazing, so just watch where you place your tanks.

USMC, Oorah!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-12, 03:49 PM

SGMAlice's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanrel View Post
ok, looks like you have the makings of a good horde army right now, but you're missing some key components.

Rule number one for playing orks: You do not take toyz before boyz.
Rule number two for playing orks: You do not take toyz before boyz!
As amusing as the reference is, that is not entirely true. I prefer MechOrks and run a list with a SupaKannon Battlewagon, Tooled up Battlewagon (KillKannon, Lobba, Multiple Big Shoota's), Tranport Battlewagon and 2 Looted Wagons w/Boom Guns. I have Boyz, lots of them, but even in Vanilla 40k games i can still over run almost any opponent. (I mostly play Apocalyse scale)

Granted its hard to do, but it is so with many builds and even entire armies (SoB comes to mind).

For beginners the Kan Wall is probably the best to go with until you have a hold of how Orks work, then its MechOrks all way if your that way inclined.

Alice

PC/Laptop Problems? Post Here: Heresy Online's PC Hardware Help Thread
WIP Custom Chapter Fluff: The Children Of The Dragon
WIP Bio-Mechanical Tyranids: Hive Fleet Giger
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-12, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

looking at nobs as a unit as a whole are these good value for points? i gather they're good at sitting on objectives but in the greater scheme of things would 20 boyz be better in the beating than 10 nobs? i'm not too good on the math hammer side of the game but as a foot horde surely the numbers are better?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-12, 05:51 PM

I love Nobz. But they aren't objective sitters.... ever. With at least some allocation (PKs, BCs, Painboy, Waaaugh Banner, etc.) they can take on just about anything out there.

Then again, I don't run foot horde.....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Ork Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode