New to orks, 1500 points list - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-12, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

King Gary's Flag is: Wales

Default New to orks, 1500 points list

OK, totally new to orks. After serving that guy that sits around all day munching souls on a gold throne with some very shooty SM and IG armies i thought it was time to try and remember the close combat rules and get stuck in . This isn't meant to be particularly competitive as a list, it's simply a first stab at an ork list for some friendly matches, likely to be against other orks, SM and IG but other armies a possiblity. Ok, so the main questions i guess would be how effective nobs weilding power klaws are at taking out tanks (if at all), are the two units of 5 kommandos going to be better at getting under the enemy's skin or one unit of 10 and are there enough gretchin to be an effective meatsheild for the shooty part of they army? If you feel there are any glaring mistakes or omissions, feel free to comment.

HQ

90 -Warboss
Attack squig, shoota scorcher, big choppa, eavy armour

85 - Weirdboy
warphead

Elites

85 - Kommandos x 5
Nob Powerclaw

85 - Kommandos x 5
Nob Powerclaw

Troops

130 - Boyz x 11
Ardboyz, nob, big choppa, bosspole

142 - Boyz x 12
Nob, big choppa, bosspole
Trukk, red paint job, grot riggers, stikkbom chukka

195 - Boyz x 30
Shootas, 3 big shootas

45 - Gretchin x 10
Runtherd, grotprod

Fast attack

217 - Stormboys x 11
Boss zagstruk

Heavy support

180 - Killa kans x 3
3 x kustom mega blasta

245 - Battle wagon
Kill kannon, ard case, red paint job, grot riggers, Stikkbom chukka, armour plates,
4 x Rokkit launchers, kannon, reinforced ram

Total 1499

Basic taktikz - Weirdboy, Killa kans, shooty boz and gretchin shoot, all the rest get up and attem!

My Complete DA collection

That's me breathing fire in my avatar, my aim was a bit off to start but i got all those orks in the end!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-12, 10:38 PM

Tanrel's Flag is: USA

You fall into a common mistake made with orks: Getting the shiny bits.

First off, drop the weirdboy and get a big mekk with a KFF. Stick him in the battlewagon and just have fun driving around with the 4+ cover bubble it has around its hull. Also, drop everything the wagon has, it doesn't have the durability to really put a lot of points into it, I would recommend Red Paint, Deff Rolla, and armor, though you could even drop the armor for more points elsewhere. Second, swap the kans for something else, you have a very fast army, they are going to get left behind. I recommend more boyz, since you don't have enough. Same goes for your stormboyz, and get rid of the 'ard boyz, and switch them for the regularly pointed boyz. On a side note, I notice that you're trying to do both speed freek and horde Orks at the same time. This never ends well, considering your making your opponent deal with your orks in waves, rather than all at once. The strength of Ork forces is the weight of numbers, and if you strike in waves at your opponent, you're reducing the number of orks striking your opponent at any given point in time. Also, it makes target selection for your opponent that much easier. Nobz are amazing with power klaws, vs Vehicles. S9 on the charge and you aren't locked in combat, so you count as charging every turn!

On a final note, Kommando's are fun, but remember they're orks with bad saves. They may or may not serve their purpose, then they'll just die, so I recommend either not taking them at all, or taking a 10 man group with snikrot. The ability to appear behind your opponent's line is a phenomenal tactic, and something to threaten your opponent into keeping their vehicles farther away from the borders and closer to your boyz.

USMC, Oorah!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-12, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

King Gary's Flag is: Wales

Thanks for the pointers Tanrel, some food for thought there.

Revised list;

HQ

110 - Warboss
Attack squig, shoota scorcha, Eavy armour, Power klaw

90 - Big Mek
KFF, Grot oiler

Elites

185 - Kommandos x 10
Boss snikrot

Troops

162 - Boyz x 12 in Trukk
Nob, PK
red paint job, grot riggers, stikkbomb chukka, reinforced ram

162 - Boyz x 12 in Trukk
Nob, PK

162 - Boyz x 12 in Trukk
Nob, PK

142 - Boyz x 12 in Trukk
Nob, Big choppa

108 - Boyz x 18

Fast Attack

265 - Stormboyz x 15
Boss Zagstruk

Heavy support

115 - Battlewagon
Red paint job, deff rolla

Total 1501

Kinda wish i could have fitted some bikes in there somewhere, but that'll have to wait for a bigger points total i guess

My Complete DA collection

That's me breathing fire in my avatar, my aim was a bit off to start but i got all those orks in the end!

Last edited by King Gary; 04-30-12 at 11:18 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-01-12, 12:10 AM

Tanrel's Flag is: USA

Well, I don't really see the Wagon fitting in this list, aside for the bubble he can produce, but honestly, I would drop the warboss and maybe the wagon and get a second mek with KFF and stick them in different trukks so you don't have to crowd around one vehicle for the whole game. Or, on the other hand, you could also try swapping trukks for Battlewagons instead so you can have 20 boyz per transport. Some really scary lists tend to run as many as 4 Wagons.

The storm boyz are cool, but I still think you would do better with just more boyz, or bikes. Hell, even deffkoptas aren't a bad choice if that turbo boost scout move is still viable. My main problem is that you don't have enough storm boyz. When you deep strike and assault in the same turn, you can lose as many as 3 boyz before you even strike. That brings you down to 12 boyz and basically a nob with a power klaw the first turn. That's only 48 normal attacks, and something like 4 or 5 power klaw attacks, provided you get the first strike or don't lose any models as casualties. and then, if you don't kill your target squad and end up stuck in combat, you lose your power klaw. That'll significantly reduce the squads effectiveness in that combat, which is made worse if your fighting things with good saves, like termies, which in turn extends the combat even further. (mathhammering it against MEQ's, you'll get 24 hits first turn, 12 wounds, which 4 won't save, Power Klaw strikes killing 3. All that is if you don't take casualties, so you'll still have to deal with 3 marines that will probably hold and not die from combat res. If the marines do strike, they'll hit 5 times, killing 2 or 3 orks, and in what's left after charging, you can't afford to lose 2 or 3 boyz) what's more, if you do wipe the squad out, you've exposed your storm boyz. There goes a trade of 265 points to an opponents 200 if you hit a squad of space marines. Overall, I tried the storm boyz out for fun once, but I wouldn't play them if I were trying to seriously win.

USMC, Oorah!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Ork Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode