Fist of Iron - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Original Works All user written fiction from any Games Workshop setting should be posted here. Please use the drop-downs to denote which setting your story belongs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-11, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

Default Fist of Iron

For the prologue, see Cell 42A.

CHAPTER ONE
Part I

HOME. CAPTAIN OBADIAN Kai, the Master of the Marches and Commander of the Fifth Company of the Iron Fists, looked out of the bridge of the Battle Barge, “The Interceptor”, and took in all the details of the world that stood before him. Hyacinth, the shining star in the Hyacinth system, was one of the thousands of planets that adeptus astartes could call home. A population of fourteen hundred thousand, the ocean world was where Kai hailed from, and it was also where most of his company had hailed from too. Although the Iron Fists used Hyacinth as their homeworld, it was governed over by the human populace, who remained ever loyal and ever faithful to their superhuman protectors.

It had forever been this way, ever since the Dark Eldar raiders were cleansed from the world at the dawn of M37 by the Iron Hands, the sons of Ferrus Manus. In a way, every Iron Fist was a son of Ferrus Manus, and they abhorred the flesh as much as their Progenitor had done in the age when he sailed the sea of stars.

It had been seven years, seven gruelling long years since Kai had last set foot on Hyacinth – and he longed to walk amongst the planets three continents once more, see the insides of the beloved fortress monastery again – and pay his respects to the fallen. His twin hearts ached to see the planet again, and remembered with joy the day that the Chapter Master had asked him and his company, to return home, from the everlasting war on Armageddon, against the greenskins that ever plagued the world. They still did, and it was only the efforts of the Imperial Guard and his brothers in other chapters that kept the world free from greenskin hands. Removing his battle-damaged, silver helmet – the Captain held it firmly in his right hand, looking out across at the world that stood before him.

The silent moment that Kai was having to himself was interrupted moments later when Battle-Brother Vorn, Sergeant of his command squad and eventually his successor, entered the Bridge. “Brother-Captain,” he said, with his voice hoarse. Like all of them, Vorn had suffered wounds during Armageddon, his right eye being the victim of shrapnel from a surprisingly accurate greenskin shot. “Do you know why the Acting-Chapter Master has called us home? I mean, it’s great to see our homeworld again but shouldn’t we be facing the greenskins still – back on Armageddon?”

Kai sighed. He had been expected this sort of question, and was indeed surprised that he had only now been confronted about it, just as “The Interceptor” had left the empyrean, arriving in real-space for the first time since her departure from Armageddon, the world named after the end of days. “That I do not, Brother-Sergeant,” he responded truthfully. Indeed, it wasn’t like Acting-Chapter-Master Calius to keep the fifth company in the dark, especially when there were rumours that he had not only called back Kai’s company, but also the Third, under command of his close friend Lexandro Vidius, the Master of the Watch, and the second as well – the legendary assault company that had been fighting a war against the Dark Eldar on Tyrus Secondus for far longer than Kai had been on Armageddon. “But if the rumours are true, it is something serious.”

“Aye. Especially when the second have been called back as well, Brother,” mused Vorn. “Have you heard any word from Exodus’ company? The fourth? According to the astropathic communications – they were due back from Calexious IV yesterday. They haven’t arrived, judging by the rumour mill.”

“Why would the Acting-Chapter Master have called back three companies just to investigate the loss of one?” responded Kai, still not taking his eyes off the planet which they continued to approach. “Something tells me there is more to it than that.”

“Aye, I agree. I’ve fought greenskins for too long,” Vorn remarked. “I could do well with a change of foe.”

“Be careful what you wish for, Brother,” Kai responded, when suddenly – a loud voice boomed through the intercoms, catching everybody by surprise.

Welcome Home, Interceptor,” the loud, ancient and wise voice of the real chapter master, who had been entombed in Dreadnought armour after the Battle of Opal’s Fall, affirming Kai’s suspicions. He was right. In order for Chapter Master Abraham Verchen to be awakened, this was something serious. “Captain Kai. It has been too long. I want your company at the main auditorium as soon as you leave your ship. We have important matters to discuss.

“Yes, Chapter Master,” Kai responded through the vox-link embedded in his throat, on an open channel – so all of his fellow brothers could hear his voice. “Faith and Fury.”

Faith and Fury indeed,” boomed Verchen, before finishing with a quieter, “The Emperor Protects.

Last edited by Bane_of_Kings; 09-25-11 at 04:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-11, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Part II

BY THE TIME the fifth company arrived in the auditorium, the mood was sombre, a funeral quiet sweeping across the hundred-odd warriors that were assembled in rank order. Many had been longing for the thought of their homeworld – but now, with the Chapter Master aroused from his eternal rest, things were indeed serious. Captain Kai recognised the shoulder pads of other companies, the third and the second among them, including the fabled Abadiah Draco, the legend in his own lifetime – and the master of the assault, standing, fully armoured on the podium, his ancient gaze watching the gathered astartes below.

But there was still no sign of the fourth company, no sign of Exodus’ Own. Markus Thorn himself, the Lord of Iron and the first Captain, stood on the right flank of Draco, likewise clad entirely in armour, only this time – the Terminator protective covering ensured that he was a lot more imposing than Draco, something which didn’t sit well with the Master of the Assault.

Both wore helmets, and were flanked by the upper core of the chapter’s ranks. The Chief Librarian Amael Castus, his right arm a mechanical instrument of death obtained in the same battle that the Chapter Master had been claimed by the Dreadnought armour, stood fully armoured like everybody else in the auditorium.

This was a meeting of momentous proportions. Various figures caught Kai’s eye and nodded in respect as the Captains made their way to the front of the endless sea of adeptus astartes. Chief Apothecary Gavinus, and even the Acting-Chapter Master himself were present, alongside the unnatural Glavius Kranz, the Master of the Forge – who was flanked by his Techmarine brothers, and stood apart from the rest of the Iron Fists, shrouded with an aura of suspicion and mistrust, even in a Chapter where the machine was held above all else.

There was a loud booming sound, one which Kai recognised as Dreadnought footsteps. He should know, after all – Kai had fought with various ancient ones on Armageddon, including one from the Blood Angels Chapter – a Dreadnought named Sanguos, who had proven himself time and time again. One by one, the descendants of Ferrus Manus, the Iron Fists – Dropped to the floor, their knees bent in respect as one of the Chapter’s finest heroes stepped out onto the dais, and spoke. “Brothers. You are perhaps wondering why I have recalled you all from your respective campaigns. As much as I do not wish to keep you from distributing the Emperor’s wrath, there are far graver matters at risk, matters which concern the very life of the Iron Fists, and of Hyacinth herself.”

Silence, apart from Verchen’s words, echoed throughout the auditorium. To hear the Dreadnought speak was to hear history come to life, and every adeptus astartes present in the room, even the Acting-Chapter Master – was hooked on Verchen’s every word. This was a momentous occasion. A time of tragedy and war would no doubt follow.

Last edited by Bane_of_Kings; 09-25-11 at 04:43 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-11, 04:48 PM

Adrian's Flag is: USA

Default Yes!!!

I am glad you decided to add to the story, cell 42A. Good writing and I don't want to have to wait for more. But alas, I guess I have no choice, so hurry it up!

A good reputation take a long time to build, but only a moment to destroy. Wow, that's deep! Check out the H.O.E.S. short story competition.
Other stories from Adrian.
Look up Adrian in the "Compendium" to find them. Thanks

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-11, 07:25 PM

gothik's Flag is: United Kingdom

bane i am really enoying this glad you continued it and look foward to more, don't see any Iron Hands stories on the fan fic sites much so looking foward to more
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-11, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses, second chapter coming tommorow. Gothik, these are the Iron Fists, by the way - not the Iron Hands, although they do descend from them.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-11, 07:07 AM

gothik's Flag is: United Kingdom

aw i stand corrected sorry bane still god read though
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-11, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

CHAPTER TWO

Part I

The Noise of battle rang through Exodus’ ears. The Fourth Captain heard bolter-fire, the holy wrath of the Iron Fists pour down upon the boarding Orks with unrelenting fury. Dead xeno corpses soon lined the corridors of ‘Winter’s End,’ the Battle Barge that had replaced ‘The Annihilator’, following the war against the a tendril of Hive Fleet Leviathan on Camesos Reach fifteen years ago, where they had fought alongside the enigmatic Raven Guard and their Deathwatch allies in a quest to deny the biomass that the Hive Mind needed to grow. Camesos Reach had been a forge world, so indeed – if that particular biomass had been harvested, the threat would have been made all the greater.

“Brother Captain, Space Hulk in sight,” a Sergeant, of the third Tactical Squad, Leyor, who boasted two mechanical arms, voxed on the Chapter’s private channel to Exodus himself. “Cannons targeting the engines. We should cripple this thing before it reaches its intended target.”

“Get all the guns that you can spare to make sure that the deed is done, Sergeant,” Captain Exodus responded, his energy-crackling weapon, otherwise known as a Power Sword, cleaved one greenskin in half, and decapitated another’s head in quick succession. Two short bursts from his Storm Bolter brought another alien down, as he advanced through the dark, dimly lit corridors with his men – that of Command, Justice Squad, supported by the heavy laid firepower of Squad Retribution’s four Heavy Bolters. “I want that Hulk out of action before it can cripple any more of our worlds. Exodus Out.”

He didn’t wait for a reply, cutting the link, a quick glance at his visor – the runes showing him that Brother Epathus of Skyborn Assault Squad had fallen, and the Apothecary speaking in a moment later to inform him that his geneseed was too heavily damaged to recover.

‘Bastard xenos,’ Exodus thought, his Power-Sword meeting Ork flesh for what seemed like the thousandth time since they had first boarded, and his Storm Bolter unleashing hell on an unsuspecting xenos, too caught up in the heat of battle to notice the shots coming his way.

“Strike From the sky, brothers!” A loud shot could be heard from the corridor, and five, jump-pack boasting astartes that formed a Combat Squad leapt into action, spiralling down on top of the greenskins in front of the Captain. Moments later, the guns of the support squads fell silent so as not to hit any of their brothers with friendly fire.

“Brother-Librarian,” Exodus hailed Obaion on the vox link. “Is the prisoner still secure?”

“Yes, Brother-Captain,” responded Obaion, his voice haunted and enigmatic. It unnerved Exodus, the warrior having never been too fond of the warp himself. Indeed, he was born on Teoris Secondus, one of the worlds in the Hyacinth System where the Iron Fists drew their recruits from, and the population there had been indoctrinated with a hatred of pskyers and their ilk, mainly after the first Imperial Governor had been assassinated by an heretical sorcerer. “He remains behind closed doors. The Chaplain and I stand ever watchful. Nothing will get in or out.”

“Good,” responded Exodus. “I’m dispatching squad Gamma to your location for some extra firepower.”

The Iron Fists were one of the few Chapters that used names like “Alpha, Justice and Skyborn” to name their squads, rather than the Squad “Exodus”, or Squad “Epathus”, for example. It had been a preferred choice of their founder, the legendary Captain Noras of the Iron Hands, and the first of the three commanders that the Iron Fists would have throughout the four millennia in service to the Emperor and the Golden Throne.

And their Primarch, their Progenitor. And the machine. The Orks were nearly routed now, Exodus could tell this by the thinning of their numbers as he continued to assault and the easier it was to overturn their ranks. He counted two more brothers lost, Urei and Lorn in the ensuing firefight.

But, in the Emperor’s name, this ship would be the Iron Fists once more. Exodus would not lose another Battle-Barge under his watch.

Last edited by Bane_of_Kings; 09-25-11 at 04:43 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-11, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

A/N: Sorry for the shortness of this, but Part II is here.

Part II

“...Recently, our astropathic communications have received an urgent warning from the Battle Barge, Winter’s End,” continued the Dreadnought, his voice echoing into the ears of every adeptus astartes in the hall. The majority of the chapter was present, expect for the fourth company of course – who had not been heard of for... a long time outside of the message that the Dreadnought was about to play them. A few seconds later, the Pict crackled into life, displaying the veteran, skull-faced figure of the Fourth Company’s chaplain.

“My Lords,” Reyes spoke, hastily and quickly, as though he was addressing just the higher members of the Chapter, “We have received an urgent message of utmost importance from our Librarian. He is currently... wounded at the moment so he has requested me to relay this message for him. We have received intelligence that the renegade warband known as Hakanor’s Reavers are en route to Hyacinth, with an aim to wipe us from the pages of history. We don’t know much else... but...XENOS! Foul abomination! Death to the-”

The message flipped into static, but just before it vanished, the entire Chapter could see Reyes bringing up his Crozius to deal with the incoming greenskin, which was much larger and, much uglier – than the Chaplain himself. Several whispers ran through the astartes at this, some talking about Hakanor’s Reavers – the Chaos Space Marines lead by the infamous Daemon Prince Hakanor himself, but others were wondering how the greenskins had managed to board the Winter’s End. However, Verchen silenced all of these with a grunt from his speakers. Once more, the Dreadnought held the attention of all the astartes in the room, something that was no doubt annoying the Acting-Chapter Master. “There you have it Brothers. Now you know why we called you back. We must prepare a Scouting fleet to investigate the rumours caused by Chaplain Reyes' message, and this puts us in a grave situation indeed.”

The Old one paused, before continuing. “Although we do not know the true extent of the forces headed towards the Hyacinth system we can guess that it is of quite a large amount – if they intend to target the Chapter’s geneseed – which I presume they will, as Obadian informed us that they plan to wipe our chapter from the pages of history.

Several gasps echoed throughout the auditorium. Wipe a Chapter as noble as the Iron Fists from the pages of history? How dare they? These Hakanor’s Reavers, chaos warband – mutants – scum, think that they can take on the might of one of the Emperor’s sons?

“Silence,” The Dreadnought droned, and continued. “But – sadly, we cannot act on this until we know how large the forces are that are headed in our direction. That is why, in absence of the Fourth Company, I am dispatching the Third to investigate, as they currently hold The Interceptor.”

Last edited by Bane_of_Kings; 09-25-11 at 04:44 PM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-11, 10:05 AM
Feed

This is looking good.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-11, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

I aim to please . Also, I plan on doing a lot of scene-jumping throughout this piece.

CHAPTER THREE

Part I

The small fortress-moon named ‘Guardian´ was home to the majority of the population of Casturn Reach, mainly because the planet’s volcanic surface was too hostile to inhabit. Almost every day, at any given time around the planet, there was five different volcanic eruptions taking place. The Imperium listed Casturn Reach as a Death World, and there was no better place for the recruits to the Iron Fists to be trained in.

Guardian’ itself was relatively small, but it was heavily guarded. The 9th Company of Iron Fists, lead by Captain Vladimir Aurio, the Master of the Siege took up permanent vigil over the moon and its inhabitants below, the Ten Devastator Squads supported by the currently sleeping Dreadnoughts, four ancient veterans of the Iron Fists.

Today was like every other day, Aurio thought, as he brought his favoured Multi-Meta up, in the simulation – to destroy another enemy of chaos, pulverising a hole in the renegade Predator, rendering it unable to move. Glancing back at his men, the Devastator Captain noticed that they were performing above standards, laying down heavy fire on the oncoming traitor hordes, ensuing that they never once made it to the power-armoured lines of the Emperor’s Finest.

They had been training against the chaos forces ever since last week, when Aurio, like the rest of his company and indeed a large portion of the Chapter, had been called to their homeworld of Hyacinth, to hear the ancient Chapter-Master Abraham Verchen speak for all to hear.

Hakanor’s Reavers. According to the data-slate that each Captain had received after the briefing, they were once adeptus astartes, and – although it was hard to believe, they had once fought under the same banner. The Chapter, before turning renegade – had been called the Sons of the Storm, and it was they who had been exiled from their homeworld by the wrath of the combined forces of the Ultramarines and the Iron Fists themselves. Sadly, Aurio didn’t have the honour of fighting in that battle, which was afterwards recorded as the purge of Skythax Prime. That honour belonged to the combined forces of the Masters of the skies, the Second Company, and the fourth company – who were still missing in action.

Nothing had been heard of them since the message, and it suggested that they may have been overwhelmed by the greenskin boarders and fell to the xenos. Aurio hoped that this wasn’t the case. He knew many of the warriors in the fourth company, including Captain Exodus himself. The Devastator Captain thought back to the old days, where he and Exodus were merely scouts, fighting for their lives on the very planet below in the same squad. The same squad that had been taught by the veteran Captain Peor, who had been Isaiah Lazerian’s predecessor.

Everybody knew that Peor had been a better scout captain than Lazerian, even Lazerian himself. That was why he strived to make up for his inexperience and youth as often as he could, taking on several tasks. Maybe, once he had tempered himself in the fires of battle for as long as Peor had, they would at last respect him.

Aurio was already holding a respect for Lazerian, after the 10th Captain had saved his life on Skyfall, where they had fought against Tyranid invaders on a neighbouring planet to where the Fourth Company lost their first Battle-Barge, ‘The Annihilator’. It was lucky that Winter’s End had been in production at the time, because after all – who was a Master of the Fleet without his Battle Barge?

“Captain,” an astartes, a young marine by the name of Tarvan, barked into the vox-link.

“Yes, Brother?”

“We have a problem.”

Last edited by Bane_of_Kings; 09-25-11 at 04:44 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Original Works

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode