Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories 3: Betrayal Voting Thread - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Original Works All user written fiction from any Games Workshop setting should be posted here. Please use the drop-downs to denote which setting your story belongs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-11, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Boc
Like a Bawss

Boc's Flag is: USA

Default Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories 3: Betrayal Voting Thread

Yes, I know I'm an hour early, but I'm going to bed! You still have until 1200 am EST (US East Coast time) to post your stories in the competition thread, but I'm putting this up so I don't have to stay awake haha.

This concludes the third Heresy-Online Expeditious Stories Competition!

Congratulations to all of you who participated in this month's competition and making it a success! Turnout has again improved a little bit, which is great! Hopefully in the following months, we can continue to build up interest and maybe bring some more fresh blood to HO's fanfic forums.

Voting works as such:
Each reader (not just writers) can cast three votes, which works quite conveniently as there are only three stories, ranking them 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Feel free to share your thoughts, comments, or brief reviews on the stories as well, since each of the writers worked hard to get their entries up.

Scoring works like this:
1st place: 3 pts
2nd place: 2 pts
3rd place: 1 pt

When you vote, ensure that you vote in the following format:
1st Place: Author, Name of Story, 3 pts
and so on.

Unfortunately, to prevent any possible dramas, you cannot vote for your own story. If you cast any votes, you have to cast all three, no picking a single story and nothing more.

Additionally, if you wrote a story, you must vote! As the competition grows, I think it is necessary to point this out. If you enter but do not vote, any votes for your story(ies) will not be counted.

By the end of the voting period, all votes will be tallied and a winner declared.

Once this winner is declared, the winning story will be placed into the Winning HOES thread which has been stickied in this forum.

As a reminder, this month's winner will be placed in the next issue of The Heretic!

Just to emphasize again, you do not need to have written a story to cast your votes! The more people that cast their votes, the better!

The deadline for voting will be Sunday, 3 April 2011. At that time this thread will be completed, the winner declared, and the new HOES topic for Competition 4 will be posted (the topic of which has yet to be decided, so send me your ideas!)

Here are the entries for HOES #3:
Dark Angel - Betrayal
Doelago - Artefact
Stephen_Newman - The Purging of Slis'thrak
C'Tan Chimera - By the Blood of the Wronged
Gothik - Kannada
Mossy Toes - Survivor
Bane_of_Kings - The Tower
Boc - Are You Ready, Brother?
Vulkansnodosaurus - Should be Expected
Shogun Nate - Iron Within
Ckcrawford - Put to Rest

As a reminder, you do not need to have written a story to vote. Any and all Heretics are more than welcome to check out the stories and cast their votes for their favourites.

Now get voting!

Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Challenge 13-06: "Serenity" has started, get your stories in by July 11th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel View Post
3. Nothing Boc said should ever be taken seriously. Unless he's talking about being behind you. Then you run like fuck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-11, 05:47 AM

C'Tan Chimera's Flag is: USA

There was a lot to go around this time with a lot of similar vibes, so this was a tricky one.

1rst: Are You Ready, Brother?- Picking between first and second was damned hard, but Boc's won first in the end because it provided a sense of middle-ground between loyalist and traitor astartes that GW has yet to even poke with a meter stick. Not to mention it's executed *no pun intended* in such a way that it keeps you guessing as what's what and who's who up until the twist ending. A great idea carried out just as well.

2nd: Survivor- Oh man, this one is just brutal. Mossy Toes may have done his job of writing a little too well because it is not helping me and my repulsion towards the Imperium. A much more intimate sense of betrayal than the other stories here pumped a lot of life into an otherwise drab, depressing story.

3rd: Put to Rest- running along the same way as Are You Ready, Brother? I like this one because it bridges the gaps between extremes. The idea of rogue Guardsmen remaining loyal to the Emperor but seeing the Imperium for the grimdark shithole it is... It's something I would like to see more of.

Last edited by C'Tan Chimera; 03-28-11 at 05:50 AM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-11, 07:47 AM

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

1st - 3 points: Mossy Toes, Suvivior
2nd - 2 points: Boc, Are you ready, brother?
3rd - 1 point: Dark Angel, Betrayal

They were all fantastic entries but I think I enjoyed these three the most. However, it was a very tight spot between all of the top three.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-11, 08:48 AM

Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom

I would like to rank the stories as such:

3rd Bane of kings's the tower. I liked the story even though the twist at the end was predictable in my opinion.

2nd Mossy Toe's survivor. Yet another good story and it came really close to my top 1st

1st CKCrawford's Put to rest. A brilliant story that combined originality with a fantastic plot.

Some entries would have made the list if they suitable in different ways. Some like Darkangels I felt was too loosely connected to the 40K universe whilst I also like originality rather than copying a point in time like BOC's which I felt mirrored the events of the Isstvan drop site massacre a bit too closely.

I have recently started a new Blog. I would really appreciate it if you would LOOK AT IT
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-11, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Boc
Like a Bawss

Boc's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Newman View Post
like BOC's which I felt mirrored the events of the Isstvan drop site massacre a bit too closely.
I may be misreading your comment, but in my defense the story was based at the Istvaan dropsite

Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Challenge 13-06: "Serenity" has started, get your stories in by July 11th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel View Post
3. Nothing Boc said should ever be taken seriously. Unless he's talking about being behind you. Then you run like fuck.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-11, 06:50 PM

Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom

I hold nothing against you. It's just that originality rates really high in my list of whats good and what is not. It takes a lot to come up with a good original plausible story.

I have recently started a new Blog. I would really appreciate it if you would LOOK AT IT
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-11, 06:53 PM

gothik's Flag is: United Kingdom

1st place mossy toes survivour 3pts
2nd place bane of kings the tower 2pts
3rd place boc are you ready brother 1pt
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-11, 11:53 PM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

I'm flattered by all the votes so far, folks! Thanks!

1) Shogun Nate - Iron Within (3 pts)
2) Boc - Are You Ready, Brother? (2 pts)
3) C'Tan Chimera - By the Blood of the Wronged (1 pt)

Honorable mentions go out to:
Ckcrawford - Put to Rest
Vulkansnodosaurus - Should be Expected

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!

Last edited by Mossy Toes; 03-28-11 at 11:56 PM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-11, 12:08 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Also, a quick tally of points so far, with stories whose authors have voted (and so validated any points attributed to them) underlined:

7 - Dark Angel - Betrayal
3 - Doelago - Artefact
3 - Stephan_Newman - The Purging of Slis'thrak
1 - C'Tan Chimera - By the Blood of the Wronged
2 - Gothik - Kannada
16 - Mossy Toes - Survivor
7 - Bane_of_Kings - The Tower
12 - Boc - Are You Ready, Brother?
0 - Vulkansnodosaurus - Should be Expected
9 - Shogun_Nate - Iron Within
12 - Ck Crawford - Put to Rest

(note: I will be retroactively editing this to account for votes that come after this tally is posted)

(added up to Some Call Me... TIM)

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!

Last edited by Mossy Toes; 04-03-11 at 08:26 PM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-11, 04:34 AM

Nice stories here. +Rep to all you guys. But also...

1. Put to Rest, Ckcrawford, 3pts
2. Kannada, Gothik, 2pts
3. Betrayel, Dark Angel, 1 pt

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Original Works

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode