Heresy Fiction Comp 2010: Dog Brothers - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Original Works All user written fiction from any Games Workshop setting should be posted here. Please use the drop-downs to denote which setting your story belongs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-10, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Zenith_of_Mind's Flag is: Croatia

Default Heresy Fiction Comp 2010: Dog Brothers

Removed By The Author

Last edited by Zenith_of_Mind; 02-05-11 at 12:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-10, 12:43 PM
bobss's Flag is: England

I`ll hand it to you, Zenith, I didn`t think you could conjure up something as good as this, even amongst your bravado upon the other thread.

So yes, the best I`ve read yet, and its great to see some Guard at last
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-10, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobss View Post
I`ll hand it to you, Zenith, I didn`t think you could conjure up something as good as this, even amongst your bravado upon the other thread.

So yes, the best I`ve read yet, and its great to see some Guard at last
Thanks for reading. Well of course it's good, I don't brag around when I can't deliver (and even then, the bragging is of course done in slighty satirical tone).

I decided for the Guard because I'm getting bored with the Space Marine/CSM stories which make up to 90% fanfiction. IG is made up of real men with real problems (for example, they can actually die) so I have much more fun writing them than Astartes.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-10, 01:16 PM
bobss's Flag is: England

Certainly. Mine`s Guard, because, as said, its much easier to relate to, instead of mediocre, cliched Astartes.

That said, having read some of the prose/Roleplay posts of some members on Astartes, I know some people can certainly pull off Space Marine fiction.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-10, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobss View Post
Certainly. Mine`s Guard, because, as said, its much easier to relate to, instead of mediocre, cliched Astartes.

That said, having read some of the prose/Roleplay posts of some members on Astartes, I know some people can certainly pull off Space Marine fiction.
Of course, Astartes can be made into interesting characters but since I have read several Horus Heresy novels, my dislike for them grew a bit. I mean, Space Marines are cool and everything (and without them, Warhammer40k wouldn't be what it is), but their detachment from humanity makes them bleak. And not to mention that their almost-immortality sometimes takes the fun of action. That's why I prefer the Guard. Some of the regiments like Catachans are genuine badasses, and completely underrated because of the Astartes.

As I understand, you have written a IG story, yes? Are you entering the competion as well?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-10, 05:30 PM

Turkeyspit's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith_of_Mind View Post
I decided for the Guard because I'm getting bored with the Space Marine/CSM stories which make up to 90% fanfiction. IG is made up of real men with real problems (for example, they can actually die) so I have much more fun writing them than Astartes.
Yeah, but on the flipside, it reminds me of a discussion I had back when I used to play WoW: when people suggested that I roll a Human, I would reply "I play a Human IRL*, ty."

Part of the fun of SM's is creating a character that can be more than your average human. The trick, I think, is to not fall into the SM-mold and end up with a bunch of giant automatons.

I'm working on an IG short-story myself atm, just to try and see the 'other side', but I doubt I'll ever lose my love for SM's.

*IRL = In Real Life - for those not familiar with the lingo
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-10, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeyspit View Post
Yeah, but on the flipside, it reminds me of a discussion I had back when I used to play WoW: when people suggested that I roll a Human, I would reply "I play a Human IRL*, ty."

Part of the fun of SM's is creating a character that can be more than your average human. The trick, I think, is to not fall into the SM-mold and end up with a bunch of giant automatons.

I'm working on an IG short-story myself atm, just to try and see the 'other side', but I doubt I'll ever lose my love for SM's.
It all comes down to personal preference. For example, in the several IG yarns I have written for the BL I have tried to examine the character of my protagonist -why does he fight, what are his motives etc. You can't do that much of character development with SM's, or at least I haven't seen it done with exception of novels by Abnett or McNeill. Other authors (and not to mention many amateur fanfiction writers) simply dismiss it as irrelevant and focus on generic skull bashing, which is fine, but gets boring after some time. I don't particularly like SM because of their "obey without question" attitude combined with lack of any fun (drinking, whoring etc.). I guess it's ironic that the defenders of humanity aren't that human, after all.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-10, 03:59 PM

Turkeyspit's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith_of_Mind View Post
It all comes down to personal preference. For example, in the several IG yarns I have written for the BL I have tried to examine the character of my protagonist -why does he fight, what are his motives etc. You can't do that much of character development with SM's, or at least I haven't seen it done with exception of novels by Abnett or McNeill. Other authors (and not to mention many amateur fanfiction writers) simply dismiss it as irrelevant and focus on generic skull bashing, which is fine, but gets boring after some time. I don't particularly like SM because of their "obey without question" attitude combined with lack of any fun (drinking, whoring etc.). I guess it's ironic that the defenders of humanity aren't that human, after all.
Ah, but that is the fault of the BL and its authors, and probably why so many people tire of SM stories. There is no reason at all why an author cannot explore "why" a SM fights.

For example, let's look at it real fast:

Why does a SM fight - because he was conditioned to, and if he doesn't, he will be executed by his Sgt/Cpt.

Why does an IG fight? - because he was conditioned (or trained, if you prefer) to, and if he doesn't, he will be executed by his Sgt/Commisar.

Really not much of a difference in motivation.

For an IG though, overcoming things like fear can be a challenge, where a SM has no problem. For a SM, pride, arrogance, callousness, 'fear' of failure, are all issues they struggle with.

You could take the mindless skull-bashing of SM's and turn it into an IG story, and find it just as boring. You can also take the depth of IG stories (say, Gaunt's Ghosts) and turn it into a SM story (see Brothers of the Snake) and find it just as enjoyable.

More SM writers need to build up the psyche of their characters, and not just their armament. My submission for example, was my attempt to, from a child's perspective, describe everything I feel is awesome about a SM: their strength, power, nobility, sense of sacrifice, etc.

Of course I could write IG characters in exactly the same way, but I worry too much about making a 41M version of 'Rambo' - conquering all of Vietnam with a bow & arrow seems plausible for a SM, but not for an IG trooper
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-10, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
More SM writers need to build up the psyche of their characters, and not just their armament.
Nicely put, and completely true.

Quote:
Of course I could write IG characters in exactly the same way, but I worry too much about making a 41M version of 'Rambo' - conquering all of Vietnam with a bow & arrow seems plausible for a SM, but not for an IG trooper
Funny you mention Rambo - my IG yarns revolve around Sly Marbo who conquers his enemis with ripper pistol, Catachan Fang and his steely muscles and iron will. Still, I have tried to present him with dose of realism both physically and mentally, without the SM gung-ho. Aside from being a badass, Sly is an interesting character in many ways -for example, nobody forces him to fight (commisars don't end up well on Catachan) but he still chooses to fight for his reasons etc. In short, that was my point - I personally prefer non-SM characters like IG, Inquisitors etc. SM are also awesome, but their fiction (even the professional one) can get boring at times.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-10, 08:40 PM

Babypowder's Flag is: USA

Nice story! Good luck. I enjoyed the end when the uppity general got what was coming.

I'm actually not a huge fan of guard stories that I've read. I don't know why but when I read guard I just always feel like its generic army story number 5 million. Don't get me wrong they are usually decent stories and all but just not my favorites. Definitely agree that the Space Marines can get pretty boring from time to time also though.

Inquisitor stories are probably my favorites. They still got the whole human aspect you guys are talking about but with a really interesting twist usually.

I also really liked the novel Relentless. That's pretty similar to guard being about the navy and all but that book was just really great I think.

I enjoyed the read! And good luck again! Guess I'm off to read the rest of the fiction comp entries now...I'm such a slow reader this could take forever! Heh.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Original Works

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode