Fiction Competition 2010 Submission Thread - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Original Works All user written fiction from any Games Workshop setting should be posted here. Please use the drop-downs to denote which setting your story belongs.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-01-10, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Semi-Famous 40k Intellect

Commissar Ploss's Flag is: USA

Default Fiction Competition 2010 Submission Thread

Heresy-Online Fiction Competition 2010

Howdy folks! CP here again. I'm pleased to announce that the submission window for the Heresy-Online Fiction Competition 2010 has officially opened!

There was a lot of interest shown in the announcement thread, and i hope all of you that posted will follow through with your intentions! Once you have written your story, this is where you will officially enter it. However, DO NOT POST THE ENTIRE STORY HERE!! This is where you will link to your story within the forum. Allow me to post a step by step for you to correctly submit your story...

Step 1: Create a new thread in the Original Works forum titled: "Heresy Fiction Comp 2010: [your story title here]". This is where you will post the body of your story.

Step 2: Open up the this submission thread again, and post a new reply with the title: "Official Contest Entry". The body of the reply should be as follows:
[Story Title] [Author]

[Word Count]

[Link URL]
(the link to your story thread)
This will allow me to easily weed out the real contest entries from the casual commenter. (i highly encourage comments btw, its great to see peoples feelings about things. )

Step 3: once you are done filling out the above info, simply click "Submit Reply" and you've entered the competition.

A FEW MORE requests that i have for you all are:

1. Do not make a "reserved" post. It's annoying, and it doesn't matter. Your placing in the lineup means nothing to the overall judging, so don't be a prick.

2. Make sure your entry complies with the contest rules. (for your convenience, i have included them below.) If it does not comply, it will simply be struck from the list.

3. Feel free to make comments about the stories entered into the comp. It's a community contest, so the community should be involved. However, normal forum decorum rules apply, if i catch any one of you slandering another's entry, there will be hell to pay.

below, is a reprint of the rules for the competition:
  • Warhammer 40k or Warhammer Fantasy short story: you will need to writer either a 40k or Fantasy based short story. The subject matter of which does not matter. But the overall setting must be in either the 40k or Fantasy universe. we are a 40k forum after all.
  • 4000-5000 word requirement: In the past two competitions we have had word count requirements of 1500-2000 words. This competition is a serious 40k/Fantasy short story competition and with the inclusion of prizes will therefor demand a more serious effort on the writers part.
  • No Public Voting: with the rampant cheating found in this years painting and conversion contests i have decided that there will be no public voting this year. Instead, i will be judging this years competition. After the end of the submission window, i will read through the entries and shortlist three finalists. I will then choose a winner from the three finalists. That winner will then be awarded the corresponding prizes (see Prize Breakdown).
  • Public Submissions: Last year for the fiction competition we had a secret submission policy. Writer's posted their stories in the Heretic Ezine/Blog Submission forum. This year we will not be doing that. On the day the submission window opens, there will be a submission thread posted in the Original Works forum titled: "Fiction Competition 2010 Submission Thread". You will be able to post a link to your story in this submission thread. Your actual entry will need to be posted in the Original Works forum using the title "Heresy Fiction Comp 2010: [Insert title here]". Then, you can post the link to your story in the submission thread. I will then compile a list of the submitted stories in the OP of the submission thread, and they will be viewable by the public.
  • New Works only: do not submit something that has already been posted here on Heresy in the Original Works section. In order to increase the fairness of the competition, you will be required to write a new piece of fiction. It can include characters that you have already used in the past, but cannot be a story you have already written.
  • No Staff Submissions: Heresy Staff members will not be allowed to participate in the competition.

The submission window closes on August 31st! All posts are time stamped, so i will know who submitted on time. No complaining. If you missed the deadline, better luck next year. And don't ask me for an extension. I don't cheat, and neither should you try to.

For a full list of prizes and other information, be sure to check out the announcement post here: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=65903

I will periodically compile a list of the entries and their associated authors below, along with links back to the stories. Feel free to read them and comment.

Official Contest Entries:

Everyone have a great time, and i can't wait to read your stories!

cheers!

Commissar Ploss

The Founding Fields

Last edited by Commissar Ploss; 09-01-10 at 07:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-01-10, 07:53 AM
The Hammer of Olympia

BlackApostleVilhelm's Flag is: USA

can it be slightly over 5000 words? to be honest i have a story that i have been working on for awhile now and it is quite large, meaning i havent done a word count, but i am fairly certain it might over take 5000 pretty quickly

Here is the beginning of my fluff for my Iron Warriors Eighth Grand Company https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=51842

"A fortress is a living thing: the commander its brain, the walls its bones, the sensors its eyes and ears, the troops its blood, their weapons its fists. This tells us two things: If one organ fails, the whole dies. And if the whole dies, no single organ can survive alone."
post #3 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-01-10, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackApostleVilhelm View Post
can it be slightly over 5000 words? to be honest i have a story that i have been working on for awhile now and it is quite large, meaning i havent done a word count, but i am fairly certain it might over take 5000 pretty quickly
Nope, sorry mate. In order to keep the competition level and fair for everyone, I'm afraid i cannot budge from the 4-5k word count. 5k words is quite a bit, so if you think you are at the limit, do a word count and find out first before you starting cutting. just FYI, your title does not count towards the final word count. The body of the story can be no more than 5k words and no less than 4k.

cheers,

CP

The Founding Fields

post #4 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-01-10, 02:10 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Official Contest Entry

"The Eightfold Path" by Lord of the Night

4666 Words in total.

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...538#post690538

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #5 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-01-10, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
"The Eightfold Path" by Lord of the Night

4666 Words in total.

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...538#post690538
entry added.

The Founding Fields

post #6 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-01-10, 06:34 PM
description whore

deathbringer's Flag is: England

Quick questions

Are we allowed to edit the post even after out entry, ie weedling out grammar mistakes and faults or is our post final?

Plus does slander include any form of criticism or does hell arrive upon our asses if we are so crude as to merely say "dis is shit"

kudos to lillian thorne for the awesome sig
post #7 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-01-10, 06:46 PM
The Hammer of Olympia

BlackApostleVilhelm's Flag is: USA

hmmmm ok, ill write up a new piece then, mine should be up by the end of the night

Here is the beginning of my fluff for my Iron Warriors Eighth Grand Company https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=51842

"A fortress is a living thing: the commander its brain, the walls its bones, the sensors its eyes and ears, the troops its blood, their weapons its fists. This tells us two things: If one organ fails, the whole dies. And if the whole dies, no single organ can survive alone."

Last edited by BlackApostleVilhelm; 08-01-10 at 06:52 PM.
post #8 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-01-10, 07:07 PM

dark angel's Flag is: Wales

A suggestion, if you will? I think that there should be a 100-200 word margin from the entry's word count, or more possibly. It allows some more slack, but not too much. Im not sure if I am going to enter this now, I find that writing is not interesting me lately, sadly

Nyctophobia- Fear of the Dark Angel.

"No one ever spoke about of those two absent brothers. Their separate tragedies had seemed like aberrations. Had they, in fact, been warnings that no one had heeded?"

'Killing a man is like fucking, boy, only instead of giving life you take it. You experience the ecstasy of penetration as your warhead enters the enemy's belly and the shaft follows. You see the whites of his eyes roll inside the sockets of his helmet. You feel his knees give way beneath him and the weight of his faltering flesh draw down the point of your spear. Are you picturing this?'
'Yes, lord.'
'Is your dick hard yet?'
'No, lord.'
''What? You've got your spear in a man's guts and your dog isn't stiff? What are you, a woman?'
post #9 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-01-10, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbringer View Post
Quick questions

Are we allowed to edit the post even after out entry, ie weedling out grammar mistakes and faults or is our post final?

Plus does slander include any form of criticism or does hell arrive upon our asses if we are so crude as to merely say "dis is shit"
1) Sure, since i'm not reading any of the entries until after the submission window closes, i don't see why not. Just make sure it stays within the word cap.

2) the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackApostleVilhelm View Post
hmmmm ok, ill write up a new piece then, mine should be up by the end of the night
ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark angel View Post
A suggestion, if you will? I think that there should be a 100-200 word margin from the entry's word count, or more possibly. It allows some more slack, but not too much. Im not sure if I am going to enter this now, I find that writing is not interesting me lately, sadly
technically, i've given you all a 1k word margin. If you write a story for 4k words, you've got 1k words to wrap things up in. Seems like a fair amount of breathing room to me.

shame to see you abstain from entry though, i was looking forward to reading yours. It's your choice though.

CP

The Founding Fields

post #10 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-02-10, 11:35 PM

The_Inquisitor's Flag is: Wales

Oh how I adore a good old fashioned deadline. Now that the pressure's on, my writing finally begins. I'm sure procrastination is my middle name.

Also am refraining from reading any of the other submissions until mine's complete. I can't see it helping my case somehow. In the words of the wise Wayne and Garth.....game on!

"Heresy Fiction Competition 2009 Winner"

Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Original Works

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode