Every Cloud has a Mechanical Lining - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Original Works All user written fiction from any Games Workshop setting should be posted here. Please use the drop-downs to denote which setting your story belongs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-10, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Default Every Cloud has a Mechanical Lining

Prologue

This story is set in 2030's Tokyo, specifically 2034. It's set in a world where most are cyberised. The term ‘cyberisation’ means that parts of their body are replaced in order to improve their physical state, i.e. their own brains being replaced with ‘mechanical implants.’

It follows the story of a cyborg special agent called Batou who works for an agency called public security section 9. He works with numerous people, for example his collegue Togusa who is mostly still human and also works for section 9. The story starts with his dwelling upon the loss of his female partner in crime, The Major (Motoko Kusanagi) who was also the unrequited love of his life, but will soon unfold to explain about his forgotten unspoken of military past and how it's made him arise to what he is now. A 'Ghost' is defined diffrently in this as it is the persons own conciousness, or soul, in which in some cases once the physica body dies, can flow freely through the Net (sort of the internet) until a new body is found or at their own free will. this is very rare however.

My stimulous for writing this piece is the japanese anime and manga, Ghost in the Shell, by Shirow Masamune. This story compliments the actual anime however is completely original in its entiry.

Last edited by azay04; 02-26-10 at 09:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-10, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Every Cloud has a Mechanical Lining

Chapter 1

I

I’d forgotten most of my past until just recently. I live everyday like it’s my last.

I’ve never let my past hang over on me like a heavy burden and allow it to affect my line of work, that’s Togusa’s job. A fine man is Togusa, although I still feel he lets his personal life interfere with his job too much, yet it’s not my area to criticise, he has a family, a wife and two children. That’s more than me. What do I have? My lazy basset hound Gabriel, that’s it. Nevertheless Togusa’s undoubtedly changed since he joined Public Security Section Nine four years ago. He’s blossomed into a fine leader and I’m proud to have him as a colleague, however, he’ll never be able to replace the Major. Ever since she passed away life’s been hell for me. For the other members of Section Nine, although it still lives deep down inside of them, they’ve chewed and swallowed the matter.

Me on the other hand, I’m still chewing and will be for the rest of my life. Every night I dream of her return. I know she’s out there, swimming around in the ‘Net. Her ghost calls out to me every night I swear. How I hope she will return to this earth. No one can replace her, especially not in my life. Section Nine’s never been the same since that heart breaking event. It’s said it’s impossible for a cyborg to dream however recently my head has been flooded with emotions no one would expect a cyborg to have let alone me knowing myself.

Are these emotions real? Or if not are they just apart of my dreams? However the question arises, if a cyborg cannot dream, how could these emotions be apart of my dreams? A complex looping paradox is forming in which even I can’t solve at this present moment. It frustrates me to think about it. The bottom line is, I loved the Major, she was the only thing that kept me going, kept me alive, and now she’s gone, I feel empty, so I empty that I even question why I carry on with my life. Why did I go through with the whole prosthetics operation in order to become what I can? Why didn’t I just die on the battlefield like the rest of my men? I’ve seen many horrific things in my life including the massacre of my own platoon when I was in the rangers. But the Major’s death tops everything.

Last edited by azay04; 02-26-10 at 10:52 PM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-10, 05:49 PM
Ste

Ste's Flag is: United Kingdom

Not bad Aaron good first try i like the way its written, like its just rolling through his thought process. Have some rep

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-10, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Chapter 1

II

I said to myself never to speak of my past again or allow it to cross my mind again. Those days were dead and gone. Nothing can change what’s happened. Just the way I want them to stay. But recently everything has come flooding back to me. It’s as if the Major’s death has been the trigger to the remembrance of my forgotten past.

A sudden chill ran down my spine as the piercing sound of my door bell rang out. I inquisitively made my way over to the door. It let out a cold creaking noise as it opened. It was only Togusa. He stood tall in front of me, but his head still didn’t reach my shoulder. He leant back and shook his head from side to side. His shaggy mullet like hair swayed followed by the eruption of water from its ends, like a dog shaking water off after a bath. Apparently it must have been raining outside. I hadn’t realised. I’d just been sat around all day dwelling upon the past events in my life. All I ever did on my days off. I moved aside and Togusa stepped inside carrying two large, paper grocery bags. His eyes scanned his surrounding.

”I got you this, thought you may need some, looks like you haven’t been out for a few days.”
He passed one of the bags over to me and I happily accepted the gift after viewing what was inside. It was full of dog food for Gabriel, and the right food at that. She’s very picky about her food. She’ll only eat the fresh stuff. If it’s not she’ll sit around and sniff it as if to show interest but after a few minutes she’ll push it aside.

But thankfully, Togusa knew me and her well, and bought the right kind. At this point Gabriel had already traipsed into the kitchen and sat by her bowl, her tail violently wagging, waiting for me to provide the goods. I slowly turned and did as she wished, at which point she planted her face straight into the wet, brown mush.

Last edited by azay04; 02-26-10 at 08:42 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-10, 08:34 PM
Ste

Good but you really need to break up your writing, because it will put some people off with it being in a big chunk aaron. its good though keep it up
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-10, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

broken up slightly. does it need more?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-10, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Chapter 1

III

Togusa instantly knew something was wrong with me because of the way I trudged around the kitchen. He’d known for the last year what was wrong with me for the past year now, but it was a taboo subject between us Section Niners. He knew that I was most affected by it. He knew exactly what was wrong, but still innocently asked.
“What’s wrong Boss man, you’ve been down for months now” he asked me.

I shrugged at this remark and strolled into the living room once again before slouching back into my hardened armchair. Togusa followed and placed himself on the armchair opposite me. He looked up at me and stared into my grey circular eyes with sympathy.

“You still miss the Major don’t you? Look Batou, I know how you feel, we all feel the same, however I do know how much more you were attached to her than the rest of us. Section Nine’s fallen apart since her death, but we do all need to be strong and move on. It hurts me to see you how you are at this present time Batou. You’re the backbone behind Section Nine. I understand no one will ever be able to replace her but we need to try and move on in our lives. One day she may return to us however, none of us are sure of that. For now, all we can do is hope.”

He reached out and placed his own hand on top of mine. The warm touch upon my cold metal shell made me tense up. I retreated backwards pressing my head back against the chair so I could no longer feel its smooth velvety texture, but now the harder uncomfortable casing that held the structure together. I sighed heavily before replying.

“I loved her Togusa...” I admitted quietly.
“...Work just...” I sighed again
“...Isn’t the same without her presence. I have no motivation anymore. Everyday I return home and simply throw myself down in this chair and hope her Ghost whispers to me. I feel it does, but how can I be sure? I may just be imagining it, but I like to think it real.”

In saying this, my arm started to tremble. Togusa held it steadily for a moment, before removing it completely. He offered making me a coffee, in which I declined before picking up his keys from the coffee table. He walked into the kitchen and removed two beers form the fridge and threw one in my direction.

“Right, I must dash as I’m still on call with the Chief. A new case has cropped up. Nothing too serious but since you’re out of work I said I’d cover for you. The chief worries about you too Batou. I’ll hopefully see you Monday Boss man, unless something more serious crops up between now and then. Take care of yourself Batou.”
And with that comment he made his way over to the front door and saw himself out.
“Thanks Togusa” I cried out as he left.

Last edited by azay04; 02-26-10 at 09:38 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-10, 09:44 PM
Ste

starting to take form aaron. Its a nice change to have some non 40k fiction up( i no its a 40k site but hey ;) )
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-10, 03:21 AM

waltzmelancholy_07's Flag is: Philipines

I like the story and your motivation... But... Why post it here?... In this forum?...
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-10, 07:45 AM
Semi-Famous 40k Intellect

Commissar Ploss's Flag is: USA

Why not? Exposure is exposure! If someone is already satisfied with other parts of the site, why not see what the comments for the fiction section are like. We're a great bunch here all around. This is strategically called the "Original Works" forum, not the "40k Original Works" forum. I encourage all types of writing here. Thats why there is the option of listing your story as Warhammer 40,000; Fantasy; or Other. As fond as i am of the first two choices, the last one makes me the happiest. Because if people are posting their "Other" stories here, it means the mentality of "oh, these guys wont be interested in my writing because its not 40k," is going away! And thats a step in the right direction if you ask me.

Commissar Ploss

btw, great work so far, i love the whole Ghost in the Shell (not just the pictures) feel to it. Was that your model for this story?

The Founding Fields

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Original Works

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode