The Writer's Circle – Week #5 [Game On!] - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Original Works All user written fiction from any Games Workshop setting should be posted here. Please use the drop-downs to denote which setting your story belongs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-09, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Semi-Famous 40k Intellect

Commissar Ploss's Flag is: USA

Default The Writer's Circle – Week #5 [Game On!]

The Writer's Circle – Week #5 [Game On!]

Hi everyone! Due to the holiday weekend (Independence Day) I just had, and the subsequent consumption of too many, although yummy, alcoholic beverages, this post had to be delayed by a day. I just didn't get a chance to work on it the past weekend. But, I have redeemed myself, for here is Week #5 of the Writer's Circle! It is an article on a topic that I'm sure many of you, including myself, are interested in. This article is by Carolyn Handler Miller, a writer/author/developer/collaborator who has worked on the storyline/background/dialogue/etc of over four dozen video games and other new media projects. She has written this article to help point aspiring video game writers in the right direction. Have you ever wanted to write the story behind the next great video game? Mayhaps you have been dreaming and scheming it all up in your head and your looking for some way to get your thoughts realized? This article will hopefully give you some ideas as to how you can achieve such things. Please enjoy! At the end of the article there will be a resources section with websites, books, organizations, conferences, and other things for you to peruse. Cheers!

Game on! Writing for video games
An interactive-media writer offers advice for breaking into this exciting market.
Article by: Carolyn Handler Miller

Quote:
Carolyn Handler Miller is one of the pioneering writers in the field of interactive media, where she has worked on more than four dozen video games and other new media projects. She is the author of Digital Storytelling: A Creator's Guide to Interactive Entertainment,now in its second edition.
Article:
Quote:
Not long ago, video games were looked down upon as a form of lowbrow escapist entertainment for teenage boys. As such, they were beneath the radar of most writers. That's just as well, because for the most part they contained only a meager amount of writing, work that generally went to the game company's programmers or designers.

But the games coming to market these days are far more sophisticated than their forbears, and there's an increased emphasis on compelling plots and dimensional characters. This is good news for writers, because game companies are increasingly turning to professionals for various writing tasks.

What do game writers do?

Writing work on games may involve any one of a number of different jobs, depending on one's experience and particular skill set. Fortunately, being a computer geek is not a job requirement!

One of the biggest jobs going to writers is the creation of dialogue scripts, which can add up to hundreds of pages. You may also get the chance to create original characters. On of the first game jobs I ever had was writing dialogue for the cast of characters for the Carmen Sandiego titles (e.g., Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?), and I also created four new characters for the series. Writers who com from the screenwriting field, as I did, are particularly in demand for dialogue work. They may also find themselves writing “cut scenes,” film-like sequences that open or close a game and that are also used as important transitions.

In addition, writers are sometimes asked to work on specialized materials like “design documents,” detailed documents that describe every aspect of a game, and “character bibles,” descriptions of all the game's characters. Highly experienced game writers, working in conjunction with the project's designer, may create the overall story world for a game and work out major challenges the players will have to overcome in order to succeed at the game.

Some types of games call for more specialized tasks. Take Alternate Reality Games (ARGs), for example. In this popular new genre, players become involved in dramas that seem intensely real. ARGs are played out in real time, and the narrative and clues are typically disseminated via a mix of media, often using everyday forms of communication to advance the game. Writers of ARGs may create faux Web sites and blogs, phone messages, press releases and TV commercials, all in the voice of the game's fictional characters or entities.

Educational and training games are another major subset of the market, and here the writer may be asked to help incorporate educational or informational material into a game format.

As to be expected, game writers have to deal with a unique set of challenges. For one thing, these works are interactive, meaning that the players' choices largely determine how the narrative unfolds. Consequently, traditional techniques of plotting and character development have to be greatly modified. Furthermore, writers have to accept the fact that story is always second banana to “gameplay” and is there to support it. Gameplay, as the term suggests, is what makes these works something you play, rather tan something you watch or read—it's how the player and the game interact with each other and what makes the experience fun.

How do you break in?

Unlike many forms of writing, game writing does not have a clear-cut entry path. There are, however, a number of steps you can take to break in.
Look into formal and informal education. A number of universities and community colleges offer classes in video-game development. Such classes mot only give you training in specific skills but may also lead to valuable internship positions at game companies.

If enrolling in classes isn't an option you can embark on a program of self-education. You need to play games, and as wide a variety as possible. Become familiar with the various genres of games and understand what players enjoy about each of them, and become knowledgeable about the different types of hardware that games are played on.

If you aren't much of a gamer, you can educate yourself about popular games by persuading a gamer you know—perhaps a young relative—to give you a tour of his or her favorite games. De-construct some successful ones and analyze their scripts, their structure, and how their narratives and gameplay work together. In addition, read books, articles and reviews about games.

Network. Networking is one of the best ways to find work and stay on top of the field. One of the biggest and best organizations dedicated to video games is the International Game Developers Association (IGDA). The IGDA has branches in many communities and also has an online group just for writers. Conferences and trade shows also offer opportunities to network and learn about new developments.

Create a portfolio. Companies that hire game writers want to see writing samples. Ideally, they should be specific to the game industry, such as dialogue scripts and design documents. In addition, it's smart to be able to show a “prototype,” a small working part, of a game that you wrote. No on will expect you to have built the entire prototype yourself—you can team up with a few others who have complementary skills, such as animation, programming and audio—but the script itself should be your own.

Parlay existing skills. Having skills in specific areas can be a major asset when you are first breaking into the field. My experiences as a print journalist, screenwriter and writer of children's TV programs were helpful in getting my first game jobs, which were educational projects for young people.

Almost any specialized knowledge or writing can be channeled into video-game writing. I know comic-book writers, mythologists, former army officers, a physicist and a physician who have all found work in the industry.

Research the employers. You need to know who the major employers are, and of these, which is the best fit for your interests and skills. The two major groups of employers are game publishers and game developers. The publishers either develop projects in-house or farm them out to developers, who do the actual work. Make a list of the companies whose games you like and research them online.

A wide variety of other organizations also make video games, especially games geared toward pragmatic purposes like teaching, military training, public information, or promoting products or ideas. These games are known as “serious games.” Producers in this part of the industry are often more receptive to newcomers than the game companies are.

Most game writers work as freelancers. Freelance assignments can be substantial and may employ a person for a year or more. Staff jobs are less common and usually go to people with substantial industry experience and desirable skills such as producing or designing.

Another option is to sell original game ideas. This is fairly difficult to do, however, since game companies usually develop their ideas internally. To sell an original game, your ideas should be clearly articulated on paper, and you need a working prototype of the project.

Whatever path you take to get into game writing, it's well worth the effort. The work is fun, and you have a chance to create new kinds of narratives, ones that are rich, complex and multilayered. As a bonus, the young kids you know will think you are incredibly cool.
Alright, as you can see, writing for a video game or video game company isn't exactly easy work. And even if you can get it, it could become time consuming and life swallowing...BUT! It can also be a very fun and enjoyable experience! I have been talking with THQ and EA games about freelance work for some upcoming games that they have in store for the next couple of years. Unfortunately I am forbidden to talk about such things as the content or to put it bluntly, anything at all about the games. Basically, I could get sued for leaking info. So I don't want to risk losing what minuscule amount of money I have left to my name by letting the secrets out. Sorry, but wish me luck and you may find my name on some new video games come 2012-14. Anyways... Below are some resources for you all to check out regarding the information that you have been given above. These range from names of books, to organizations, to conferences that you can attend and more.

Resources:
Quote:
BOOKS
  • Break Into the Game Industry: How to Get a Job Making Video Games by Ernest Adams. A good basic guide.
  • Digital Storytelling: A Creator's Guide to Interactive Entertainment, 2nd edition, by Carolyn Handler Miller. Covers video games and other forms of interactive media.
  • Game Writing: Narrative Skills for Videogames, edited by Chris Bateman. A compilation of essays.
  • The Ultimate Guide to Video Game Writing and Design by Flint Dille and John Zuur Platten. Written by two well-known writer-designers.
ONLINE NEWS, REVIEWS, PREVIEWS, DEMOS AND ARTICLES
  • Alternate Reality Gaming Network www.argn.com. Specifically about ARGs.
ONLINE INFORMATION ABOUT BREAKING IN, SELLING GAME IDEAS
  • Game Submission Guide www.igda.org/biz/submission_guide.php. Practical guidelines for selling original games. Free, but you must be a registered user of the IGDA Web site to download it.

ORGANIZATIONS
CONFERENCES
Ok, I guess this article really isn't a genuine discussion article. But that is OK. I saw this article and I felt that it would be an asset to those of you who are interested in video game design and writing for video games. Please let me know if any of the above links were helpful to you. And also, what you thought about the article. I'm thinking about interjecting informative/directional articles like this into the mix every once in a while and I wonder how well received an idea like that would be. Please send me your feedback/ideas on what other targeted articles you would like to see, or you can just post them here. Thanks again for reading and stopping by for week #5 of the Writer's Circle.

Discussion Q's:

I don't have any discussion questions this time around because this is a more targeted article.

Once again, thanks all for stopping by!

Write on,

Commissar Ploss

The Founding Fields

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-09, 06:09 AM
description whore

deathbringer's Flag is: England

Great article Ploss these articles have given me some great ideas

kudos to lillian thorne for the awesome sig
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-09, 07:17 AM
The Hammer of Olympia

BlackApostleVilhelm's Flag is: USA

you know what this reminds me that i had awhile ago thought up how warhammer 40k could be turned into an actual decent game. have the people that made the unreal engine do the graphics for sure but have the gameplay be a mostly online thing where the designers have a constantly changing world (Galaxy) kind of like WoW but way better. i have to work out some of the kinks still

Here is the beginning of my fluff for my Iron Warriors Eighth Grand Company https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=51842

"A fortress is a living thing: the commander its brain, the walls its bones, the sensors its eyes and ears, the troops its blood, their weapons its fists. This tells us two things: If one organ fails, the whole dies. And if the whole dies, no single organ can survive alone."

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-09, 01:32 PM

The_Inquisitor's Flag is: Wales

Sorry but your ideas have already been taken and are in development. There is a 40k shooter coming out titled "Space Marine", a gears of war type 3rd person shooter that looks fantastic. (Plus no more Xbox exclusive rights so I'm free to enjoy it on my PS3).

Second is a 40k MMORPG in development to be released in a few years. I assume this will function similarly to WAR but who knows. Lets hope for the best and we may be levelling imperial guardsmen across the galaxy.

Very helpful article btw, nice to see an established writers tips on getting into the industry.

L.

"Heresy Fiction Competition 2009 Winner"

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-09, 04:35 PM
The Hammer of Olympia

BlackApostleVilhelm's Flag is: USA

are you serious?! when is the date for this thing to come out and why havent i heard anything? not that i care about my ideas im just stoked that they have a game coming out, nazi zombies, killing the isa and fragging as a necris will have to do for now i suppose

Here is the beginning of my fluff for my Iron Warriors Eighth Grand Company https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=51842

"A fortress is a living thing: the commander its brain, the walls its bones, the sensors its eyes and ears, the troops its blood, their weapons its fists. This tells us two things: If one organ fails, the whole dies. And if the whole dies, no single organ can survive alone."
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-09, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

I'm glad that you all have gained something from this article. I was really glad that i found this article when i did, it really has helped me get a foothold in the industry, as i stated in the article. week #6 should be posted within the hour. thanks all!

write on,

Commissar Ploss

The Founding Fields

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-09, 10:49 PM
Boondock Shogun

Shogun_Nate's Flag is: USA

Interesting article Ploss. While I have no plans on writing for games, seeing into how it's done is cool. I enjoy reading on how things are worked out/done when it comes to just about everything lol.

Good luck and good gaming,

Nate

"If you can't stun them with your tactical brilliance, baffle them with your superior grasp of BS."

"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man."

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAllFather View Post
Well, seeing as how you capitalize your characters, use proper grammar and punctuation, I'd say you qualify.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-09, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissar Ploss View Post
I'm glad that you all have gained something from this article. I was really glad that i found this article when i did, it really has helped me get a foothold in the industry, as i stated in the article. week #6 should be posted within the hour. thanks all!

write on,

Commissar Ploss
Its not letting me post Week #6 right now... I keep getting an error message. I'll post it when i'm able......confused...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun_Nate View Post
Interesting article Ploss. While I have no plans on writing for games, seeing into how it's done is cool. I enjoy reading on how things are worked out/done when it comes to just about everything lol.

Good luck and good gaming,

Nate
thanks again Nate! Glad you enjoyed it.

write on,

CP

The Founding Fields

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Original Works

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode