Steel Talons - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Original Works All user written fiction from any Games Workshop setting should be posted here. Please use the drop-downs to denote which setting your story belongs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-14-09, 08:14 AM

Ordo Xeno Commander's Flag is: New Zealand

Dirge, have I ever told you that your stuff is made of pure awesome?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-14-09, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
The Traveler

Dirge Eterna's Flag is: USA

Thanks guys, it really makes me happy to see people post feedback. Lets me know this is appreciated.
------------

DOWNFALL
Ferrus Mons, 1712 hours

"Set the charges! We have to go now!" yelled Strom. A heavy lift suit placed the bomb next to the Mons' fusion reactor. Better lose the Mons then lose every Steel Talon trying. Gregor was dead. Doloun was wounded. He only had twenty-five Knights left, against close to seven hundred enemy machines.

The Knights stomped down the hall, exiting the Ferrus Mons, the engineer's suit behind them. Enemies were crowding the main hall, and the Knights crushed them with every step. Vulcan and Plasma fire hammered machines to the ground.

Strom and the last Talons made it to the edge of Liberation Fields, their machines complaining at the constant exertion placed upon them.

"Do it." he ordered the engineer.

"I have. Several times. The det's not working." the man replied. "Maybe we took too long. If the power was cut, the detonator won't work."

"What's that noise?" asked Strom's guard. A series of cracks grew beneath the Knight's feet.

Two hydraulic claws exited the ground and grabbed Strom's comrade, crushing his engine and cutting off his screams. The massive Imperical-class engine towered over the Knights, almost the size of a Warhound. It's horns screamed in victory as it stampeded over the unit, crushing the engineer and rending another two Knights apart in as many seconds.

Strom dodged as the machine stormed past, slashing at it's leg. His blade rebounded off the shields. He noticed a large, disc-shaped object attached to the back.

Shielding. The tau've upgraded this monster.

A slight rumble grew under their feet.

"Move!" yelled Strom, expecting another machine to burst from the ground. Instead, a bolt of silver flew from the hole the Imperical had come from, a blazing powerblade held in it's fist. The Deus Aquilia came down on top of the enemy machine and stabbed the blade into it's cockpit. The vox howled, and the enemy engine toppled, a mighty crash sending waves of dust onto the Knights.

"Thank the Emperor." breathed Strom. "You saved the First."

"Eryk did." replied Wright. He looked around.

"Where's Rickert and Matthews?" he asked cautiously.

"Rickert's dead, son. His machine died at the gates. Matthews was with the Astra Irae when it retreated. I don't know where he is."

Wright cursed lowly. The Aquila's manifold opened up to him as it sensed his mood, a pool of energies untouched since the Heresy gathering at the tip of the Knight's powerblade.

Without fully understanding what he was doing, Wright placed the blade against the ground, and closed his eyes.

A shock wave rocketed outwards, making Strom and his Knights step back to keep their balance. The miners and Tau were crushed by the immense force, but the uncanny intellect of the Manifold's technology saved the Steel Talons from it's wrath.

It was felt by Master Doloun, fighting to secure Master Gregor's body. The six Knights left under him looked around in surprise as the enemy was obliterated.

It was felt by Eryk, deep below Ferrus Mons. The Enginseer smiled slowly as the tremors rocked the Librarium.

It was felt by Shas'O Le'der'na, the leader of the Tau contingent attacking Ferrus Mons. The white-armored battlesuit threw up it's arms to protect it from the force, but within a half-second it was stripped to the struts, Le'der'na torn apart by the razorwinds unleashed.

An odd calm descended on Ferrus Mons, the Knights looking at each other. A cheer rose from the battlements, and every Knight echoed it, a single battle cry floating skywards.

Strom looked back to congratulate Wright, but the suit was face down on the ground, smoldering.

----------------------------------------

THE COST
Ferrus Mons, three weeks later

Wright opened his eyes.

Matthews smiled, standing above him next to a medicae. The Lancer had a horrific scar across his face, and his arm was in a sling.

"You look like shit." said Wright. Matthews chuckled.

"You don't look half bad yourself."

"Took a hell of a risk there. You could've been killed."

"Rickert was killed."

"I saw. I was at the gates."

Wright sat up, twinging as the stigmatic wounds from Sierra Tempest's fall throbbed.

"Lay down." said the medicae, pressing him back. "You're staying here for a few more days."

"What... what happened to the Deus Aquila?" asked Wright.

"The energies burnt out the power cells, Wright. She's dead."

"Oh..Emperor."

"Don't say that. Doloun's hailing this as one of the Great Victories. Someday initiates will walk by your picture in the Librarium."

Wright frowned as he saw the book the Medicae was carrying. The Book of Heroes, those fallen the Steel Talons' service. Dozens of new names marked the list. He saw GRAND MASTER GREGOR at the top of the list, LANCER RICKERT directly under it.

Matthews patted his shoulder.

"It'll be alright. We're the Steel Talons. We always pull through."

Strom walked in. "Yes, we do, lad. Now get healthy. Doloun wants an armed patrol to scout the Titanicus Mons wreckage. Just because this planet is peaceful again doesn't mean we can sit on our laurels."

"Sir, yes sir." said Wright and Matthews.

---------------------------

Far below the surface, unknown to all, the Sierra Tempest sat in a smoking pile where it had fallen. In the opened cockpit, a cracked cogitator crackled to life.

REPAIR SEQUENCE....ACTIVATED

----------------------------

Thanks to all who posted feedback, or read this! Look for my next story to start in less then a week, I need to think up a good title.

-Dirge

You'll forgive me, but you must be mistaken. I've met your makers, and they don't even know your name...

GIVING CHASE- ORDO HERETICUS FIC
(Updated Mar. 19)

Hat in the Ring
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-14-09, 08:06 PM

Ordo Xeno Commander's Flag is: New Zealand

Brilliant, is there going to be a sequel?

post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-14-09, 11:27 PM

Gambit14's Flag is: Canada

well done, love the conlcusion

post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-15-09, 06:50 AM

waltzmelancholy_07's Flag is: Philipines

Yeah....Is there a sequel to this?....
post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-15-09, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
The Traveler

I doubt it. Maybe though. Certainly not directly after this. I'm writing The Unsung War first. If I get enough positive feedback for a sequel I'll cook one up.

-Dirge

You'll forgive me, but you must be mistaken. I've met your makers, and they don't even know your name...

(Updated Mar. 19)

Hat in the Ring
post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-15-09, 07:07 PM

Excellent ending, Dirge! I love this story! You should be a writer when you come back home, BTW. I think you'd make a brilliant 40k writer and any other genre, for that matter!
post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-15-09, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
The Traveler

I write for fun, in between work and Xbox.

(Updated Mar. 19)

Hat in the Ring
post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-25-09, 11:25 AM

juddski's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit14 View Post
excellent, love your work
cracking read ,presses all the right buttons ,
well done Dirge

Quote:
REPAIR SEQUENCE....ACTIVATED
love it

Last edited by juddski; 02-25-09 at 11:33 AM.
post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-20-09, 01:09 PM

dark angel's Flag is: Wales

WOW i loved this probably one of the best fluff ive ever read you should definatly write a sequal i need to know what happens

Nyctophobia- Fear of the Dark Angel.

"No one ever spoke about of those two absent brothers. Their separate tragedies had seemed like aberrations. Had they, in fact, been warnings that no one had heeded?"

'Killing a man is like fucking, boy, only instead of giving life you take it. You experience the ecstasy of penetration as your warhead enters the enemy's belly and the shaft follows. You see the whites of his eyes roll inside the sockets of his helmet. You feel his knees give way beneath him and the weight of his faltering flesh draw down the point of your spear. Are you picturing this?'
'Yes, lord.'
'Is your dick hard yet?'
'No, lord.'
''What? You've got your spear in a man's guts and your dog isn't stiff? What are you, a woman?'

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Original Works

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode