Steel Talons - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Original Works All user written fiction from any Games Workshop setting should be posted here. Please use the drop-downs to denote which setting your story belongs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-09-09, 04:35 AM

Gambit14's Flag is: Canada

very well done

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-09-09, 05:28 AM

Ordo Xeno Commander's Flag is: New Zealand

more awesome work dirge, I await the next chapter with anticipation
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-09-09, 11:35 AM

waltzmelancholy_07's Flag is: Philipines

Excellent as always Dirge!...

post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-09-09, 12:59 PM

Awesome as always, Dirge! Excellent job! Keep up the brilliant work!
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-09-09, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
The Traveler

Dirge Eterna's Flag is: USA

Thanks all!
----------

THE COUNCIL OF JHORAN
Ferrus Mons, 1000 hours

Doloun nodded at Master Vec as he walked in the door. The aging Princeps returned the nod and seated himself opposite from Doloun. Eryk the tech-adept and Marshall Davus, the leader of the Skitarii regiments, were also present. A troops of Vec's senior princeps and morderati joined them, Grand Master Gregor towering over everything in his massive suit. The doors opened once more, and Crusader Strom entered, followed by Lancer Wright.

"Strom. The invitation was for you only." said Doloun, looking at the Lancer with disdain.

"I can bring one of my initiates." explained Strom. "Teach him the ways in the Council."

Gregor's voxcasters crackled. "Very well. Let the fifteenth Council of Jhoran commence."

Vec nodded. "Now, Adam, what have you called me so far to say? The Legio Nex is prepared as always, though it irks many of them a Titan Legion is called to a Knight Order's table."

Doloun nodded. "I imagine. There is a rift growing in the north, my friend. More and more of these rogue suits are populating the Deep and the mines around it. I cannot risk open war without the help of the Legio Nex."

"And you believe open war is what it will come to?"

"I do not believe, my friend. Only yesterday my warriors engaged and destroyed a force numbering in the hundreds upon Avenger Field, but twenty miles from here. For the renegades to show their hand this far south, means their numbers are far greater then the calculatricians predicted."

Vec nodded solemnly. "And you wish for my Legio to help rid you of this?"

"It would be appreciated."

One of Vec's lieutenants, the one with the most chins and gold braiding, pounded a fist on the table.

"Absolutely not! The Legio does not answer to the beck-and-call of a weak order of Knights!"

"Be silent." demanded Vec, giving the man a stare of murder. He sat back down.

"We will answer the call, for the gifting of Port Sable to the Legio Nex."

Strom's eyes widened at the demand.

"What is Port Sable?" asked Wright quietly. The crusader turned.

"The largest spaceport on the planet. The Legio Nex has tried to wrench it from us before."

"No." said Doloun. "Port Sable is the lifeline of the Steel Talons. Perhaps the Pallidus to the south? The refinery fields?"

"Pathetic prizes." said the chin collector. "Perhaps just give us the Ferrus Mons instead."

Gregor's voxcorders blared a howl of static that made everyone in the room cover their ears, except Strom, who seemed used to the noise.

"There will be no political maneuvering here. This is the Council of Jhoran, the first Master of the Steel Talons. We ask for your help, not petty rivalries."

Vec looked at the machine. "Very well. No, the Legion will not march."

Doloun's expression fell instantly. Gregor drew himself a little taller, filled with pride at his Order.

"Then we will defend this world ourselves, until the renegades march on Ferrus Mons itself. And then, when they have taken the Mons, and Port Sable, and fight to take the walls of Titanicus Mons, your own home, our last few survivors, bitter with the years in the Pallidus, will refuse your frantic calls. The Imperium will never knew we, that you, existed. That we fought and died for this world."

Vec slumped. He looked at the priceps to his right, a man Wright found familiar for some reason. The priceps nodded.

"Very well. I will grant you the Astra Irae, Mortis Est, and Dominatus. But I will expect the Knights of the Steel Talons to fight at our side when the call goes out."

Gregor shrugged, the motion exaggerated by his huge armor.

"As is expected, Princeps Majoris."

The man nodded to his warriors, and the Legio Nex left Ferrus Mons.

--------------------

Wright sat atop Sierra Tempest, a massive wrench in his hand. He tightened the power coils' secondary exhaust valve, and the machine visibly loosened. A sigh ran through the machine-spirit.

"Thank you." it said through the voxcaster.

"You're welcome." replied Wright. "I noticed it was a little loose during the fighting."

"You noticed?" she asked, an incredulitous tone in her voice.

"I've got a bit of a connection to this hardware now." he said. Wright ran a finger over the Knight's carapace to emphasize the point.

"Y'know, before I was a Knight, I was like you." she said. Wright cocked his head.

"Human. I mean." she explained. "It gets difficult to remember at times, Eryk used a lot of his time to indoctrinate me, teach me how to control the Knight instead of my body. I was clumsy for the longest time."

"What do you mean?" asked Wright.

"I was a girl, once, silly." said the VI. "I lived in the outskirts of Port Imperical. During a raider attack my parents were killed. Eryk found me living in an upended storage bin. He asked me to help him with a project...I didn't think it would end like this, though."

"He lied to you?" asked Wright, shocked.

"No. He told me everything, and I listened. I watched as Master Rezayle's suit was repaired, while the autosurgeons and tech-adepts prepared, and I watched the day Eryk turned my autosenses on for the first time."

"Don't you...miss it?"

"Not really. I was very young at the time." she said.

"How old are you?"

"Chronologically?" asked the Tempest. "Two hundred and seventy-eight next month."

Wright looked at the ceiling, in awe at the age of the machine. Matthews reached the Sierra Tempest's berth, smiling.

"Ethan, we got trade! Renegades attacking Greyditch twelve miles out, we're all in!"

Wright smiled, and the cockpit hatch of the Knight opened as he made his way down to the gantry.

You'll forgive me, but you must be mistaken. I've met your makers, and they don't even know your name...

GIVING CHASE- ORDO HERETICUS FIC
(Updated Mar. 19)

Hat in the Ring
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-10-09, 04:35 AM

Gambit14's Flag is: Canada

once again brilliant

post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-10-09, 07:34 AM

Ordo Xeno Commander's Flag is: New Zealand

Ah awesome work again Dirge, lets take it to the bastards!
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-10-09, 11:59 AM

juddski's Flag is: Wales

excellent ..really gripping read ...........next!

post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-10-09, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
The Traveler

Dirge Eterna's Flag is: USA

DECLARATION
Greyditch Outskirts, 1130 hours

"My brothers! We stand on the edge of destiny! The servants of the corrupt Imperium lie and cheat, convinced you and I can never become more then what we are born into! The Imperials keep up oppressed with forced indoctrinations and warrior orders, like the Steel Talons and Titan Legions! Just yesterday, three hundred of my fellows were engaged without declaration on the Avenger Fields for simply straying south. Only eleven survived!"

The crowd roared, part approval and part horror. Cans and bottles were thrown. The man's guards blocked the projectiles.

"Go back to your heresy!" screamed an elderly man, a PDF badge shining on his cap.

A shot rang out, and the man dropped.

"See how they label the nonconformists as "heretics"? Merely expressing other beliefs is punishable by death! I say theirs should be as well! The Tau Empire has pledged their support to our cause, and we will be free, finally free of the decadant Imperium!"

The crowd cheered. Two huge XV8 suits, clad in grey ash camoflague, flanked the man, who wore curved, xenos-like armor.

A low chant flowed across the crowd from behind the podium.

From the depredations of Xenos, our Emperor, deliver us, From the machinations of Chaos, our Emperor..

The man turned. "Your Emperor-!"

Seventy-nine Vulcan Bolter rounds shredded the Tau battlesuits and the speaker, and obliterated the front ranks of the crowd. Sierra Tempest and Fortis Metallica stomped over their remains, warhorns blaring a challenge. Two dozen mining suits and half that XV8 suits broke from the surrounding buildings and charged the Knights. Matthews pivoted smoothly, tracking a battlesuit. His plasma destroyer flashed, and the suit toppled, a hole burned through it.

Wright fired, the autosenses of Sierra Tempest tracking a half-dozen targets at once. Two miners fell, gaping holes through their lightly armored suits. His laser destructor roared it's disapproval of such heresy, flashing an XV8 suit into steam. The four remaining XV8s fired back, plasma rifles and missile contrails spooling out of the suits. Shots crackled against the Knights' shields. An EMP bolt flew by Wright's cockpit, embedding in a bakery across the street and lighting it on fire. The Tempest lunged forward, stabbing the miner through the suit's chest and killing the pilot. He felt bangs and impacts against the suit's legs.

The people are attacking us. explained the Knight's VI.

Madness. replied Wright.

Sierra Tempest had two "jink" tanks of trihydride tetrazine and hydrogen peroxide on her back, allowing the pilot to literally blast the Knight out of the way of enemy fire. Wright fired the right tank, incinerating the people below him, and jumping sideways, tackling a Miner suit closing on Matthews. The VI fired the Vulcan into it as it fell, shredding the body of the machine.

An XV8 with a powerblade of some kind lunged at him, stabbing the Knight through the shin. Wright laughed, as the blade only pierced the first three feet of his armor. He stabbed back, the three-meter long powerblade slashing the battlesuit in half. His laser destroyer hissed as it finally recharged, and he fired it into a second XV8. Matthews slid his blade through the joints of a mining suit, and the last XV8 was crushed like a tin can beneath the adamantium Knight.

The last miners scattered, fleeing in fear from the unkillable Knights. The crowds of Imperials who had been rioting at the xenos collaborator rally cheered, running to wave at the Knights. Wright smiled, and signalled to Matthews. The two Steel Talons rumbled to life again, and began to chase the fleeing miners, their voxcasters broadcasting the Litanies of Hate over the airwaves.

----------------------
Noctis Pulveris Ash Wastes, 1221 hours

Fourty-six minutes later, as the Tempest's weapons recharged over the carcass of the last Miner, the vox chirped.

[Talon Two, this is Mons MAJCOM. Do you copy?]

[This is Talon Two, Sierra Tempest speaking. Copy.]

[Good work, Two. We're picking up hymms all over the Greyditch airwaves. They're praising the "warriors of Steel".]

[Not a problem. Orders?]

[...Return to Ferrus Mons, Two. Things just got complicated.]

-----------------------
Ferrus Mons, 1225 hours

Doloun looked at the report from Titanicus Mons with an ashen face.

"Strom. Strom... get everyone in the Thunder Hall. I want to tell them myself."

Strom cocked his head. "Lord?"

"This has turned to a war of total annihilation. The Hall, please."

You'll forgive me, but you must be mistaken. I've met your makers, and they don't even know your name...

GIVING CHASE- ORDO HERETICUS FIC
(Updated Mar. 19)

Hat in the Ring
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-10-09, 11:09 PM

waltzmelancholy_07's Flag is: Philipines

Dirge!.... Where do you get these ideas!... Bravo...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Original Works

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode